Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Official Recipe Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SonofWWIIDI
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2011
    • 21583

    Originally posted by movie zombie
    dang, I haven't had breakfast yet.....definitely must do now. your recipe is worth salivating over....and making.

    Sorry, not sorry.
    🎺

    Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

    Comment

    • BonnieB
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2012
      • 1969

      Fajita Seaoning

      Folks, here's a recipe for Fajita Seasoning (not for making fajitas). The seasoning recipe makes enough for about 1-2 servings. But it doubles and quadruples well. I usually make enough for 6 batches and keep it in an air tight glass jar. If you don't cap it tightly, the spices fade and the cornstarch picks up moisture. Not good.

      Fajita Seasoning

      1 tablespoon cornstarch
      2 teaspoons chili powder
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon paprika
      1 teaspoon white sugar
      1/2 teaspoon onion powder
      1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
      1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
      1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

      Directions Stir cornstarch, chili powder, salt, paprika, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and cumin together in a small bowl. If you make multiples, keep it in an air tight jar. Really.

      I'd recommend you try it for one serving once, and then tweak the spices however you like, hotter, milder, whatever. Then, do the multiples.
      I keep this stuff around all the time, because I buy 2 Costco $5 chickens now and again, strip the meat and freeze it, for fajitas, ramen, chicken pot pie, sammiches, whatever you can put chicken in.

      And, for those looking for a hurry-up meal,

      Costco Rotisserie Chicken Fajitas

      For one hefty serving:

      1/8 in of oil (I use corn oil), in a big hot frying pan. When the oil shimmers but does not smoke, throw in half of a sliced bell pepper and half of a medium sliced onion. Stir often. This cooks in 2 or 3 minutes, don't walk away. When the peppers are tender-crisp, throw in a handful of shredded rotisserie chicken, (dry pulled pork, sliced cold steak, whatever you have). Stir around until the meat gets hot, sprinkle on a tablespoon or so of Fajita Seasoning and stir til everything's coated. Throw in a couple tablespoons (not much) of hot water and stir until the seasoning dissolves and coats the meat and veg.

      I like it with a dab of sour cream or greek yogurt smeared on a toasted tortilla, add fajitas and YUM.

      No pics here, 'cause, well, you DO know what fajitas look like, right?
      Last edited by BonnieB; 04-12-2018, 6:32 AM.
      WHAT I HAVE LEARNED SO FAR, MOSTLY THE HARD WAY

      Comment

      • BonnieB
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2012
        • 1969

        And, while I'm at it, the easiest, yummiest, most beautiful ALMOND CAKE, for people who don't know how to bake. This is one-bowl, no-mixer, simple and gorgeous. And it's Navel Orange season, so why not? Wow your friends, I dare you.

        For those scientifically inclined, this cake rises, not from beating air into the batter, but from the bubbly reaction of yogurt and baking powder. (you remember mixing vinegar and baking soda when you were a kid, right ? Fizz ! Don't use baking soda on this one though.) Yogurt is slightly acidic, baking powder is slightly alkaline, mix em together, et voila! Bubbles !

        I do recommend using the parchment paper in the bottom of the cake pan, as described. I guess you could use wax paper if you still use it. Foil won't work. I've used clean printer paper in a pinch, but it's not really "food safe". Also, since Almond Flour is $11.99 a pound (!), I make my own by grinding up a cup of sliced almonds in the food processor with a TBS of sugar. Pulse only, unless you like almond butter, to the consistency of fine grind cornmeal. Note that almond meal and almond flour are the same thing.

        Don't freak about all the sugar, this cake makes 16 servings, it's very rich. And it's made with no-cholesteral oil. So lighten up. I use whole-milk greek yogurt or 2%, but it's CAKE! Who's counting? I keep wanting to try this with olive oil instead of canola oil. I don't think those French Grandma's who invented this had canola....

        For those who CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT PICTURES, here's a link, no point in using up Mr K's server space for nothing...
        This French Almond Cake is incredibly delicious and incredibly easy. One-bowl, no-mixer and just a few minutes to throw together!


        Easy French Almond Cake
        Total Time:*1*hour*25*minutes. Preheat oven 350 degrees.


        Cake Ingredientsall purposalmond flour/meal
        3 teaspoons baking powdeFor the glaze: (or used heated thinned apricot jam)Instructions
        1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F . Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with baking spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper and spray parchment paper lightly. Set aside.

        2. Toast the sliced almonds (not the almond flour): Place almonds in a small baking pan. Spread to a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes or until just beginning to turn pale golden brown, stirring every 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

        3. Make the Glaze: Combine the orange zest, orange juice, powdered sugar and extracts in a small bowl for the glaze. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Cover and set aside. (Movie Zombie, throw a little Cointreau into that glaze. I did.)

        4. Make the Cake: In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar, and eggs, stirring until well blended.
        5. Add the all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, salt and extracts. Stir to combine. (Big wooden spoon and elbow grease...)
        6. Add the oil and stir well. Don't worry, at first it will seem to separate, but keep stirring till smooth. This might take 2-3 minutes.
        7. Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the cake feels springy to the touch in the center and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil if getting too brown near the end and cake is still not done. Be careful not to over bake. Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes; then turn it out of the pan onto the rack.
        8. While cake is still warm, using a pastry brush, gently pat the glaze all over the cake. Just keep going over the cake till the glaze is gone. Some of it will drip off, but most of it will soak in. Sprinkle almonds over top of cake while glaze is wet and pat gently. Allow cake to cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.

        Recipe Notes:
        This cake often sinks slightly in the middle when it cools. Don't panic, thats what toasted almonds and powdered sugar are for.
        Make sure you get that glaze on when the cake is still pretty hot. It won'd sink in otherwise.
        If you cover the cake with foil to keep it from browning at the end of baking, spray foil lightly with cooking spray or rub with a bit of oil to prevent cake from sticking to the foil.
        Last edited by BonnieB; 07-21-2018, 6:58 PM.
        WHAT I HAVE LEARNED SO FAR, MOSTLY THE HARD WAY

        Comment

        • BonnieB
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2012
          • 1969

          LIMONCELLO in one day !

          I remember the recipe thread having a lively conversation a while back about Limoncello, how to make it, etc. I don't actually drink Limoncello and I haven't made this recipe, but it sounds low-impact, using only a pint or so of vodka.

          BUT I thought I'd add a new (to me) idea, add my beloved Instant Pot to the mix and upset the purists (accidentally on purpose).

          So, here's a way to make Limoncello essentially on demand, using a pressure cooker. Now I know, you're thinking "heat, pressure, alcohol - not so good". But it's essentially a canning/pasteurizing process, which I assume they do before bottling liqueuers.

          So, here's a link https://prairiecalifornian.com/instant-pot-limoncello/

          Have fun!
          WHAT I HAVE LEARNED SO FAR, MOSTLY THE HARD WAY

          Comment

          • Thefeeder
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2007
            • 5007

            Originally posted by movie zombie
            it seems like this is long overdue.
            perhaps it will keep the other threads from being highjacked?

            re pheasant recipe: I don't have one but my mother used cook pheasant breast [yes, dad was a hunter!] in a mushroom sauce. it was divine!

            anyone want a good lamb meatball recipe? i'm willing and able on that one!

            eta: re boar: I love it! but I've never cooked it. there's a restaurant in Ben Lomond called the Tyrolean Inn. they make a boar dish that is tasty. you might try looking at german recipes.
            Veal Scaloppine recipe---substitute the Veal with Pheasant. Works with Goose breasts and good ol' yard bird too

            Comment

            • robodeer
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2007
              • 561

              Thank you, Bonnie. (And others.)
              F-15 Strike Eagle Pilots Talk BS While Aerial Refueling

              Comment

              • robodeer
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2007
                • 561

                Chimichurri sauce:

                F-15 Strike Eagle Pilots Talk BS While Aerial Refueling

                Comment

                • BonnieB
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • 1969

                  BACON LOVERS, UNITE !! "Genius Kitchen has 21 Amazing Bacon Recipes" (The url is really long, just google "geniuskitchen.com 21 amazing-bacon-recipes"

                  I liked these two recipes, and are they ever GENIUS.

                  First one is for Bacon Jam, a savory-sweet jammy thing, with bacon, garlic, brown sugar and more. How could you go wrong? Here's a link
                  I saw this thing called Bacon Jam being served on one of the episodes of Eat St. on Food Network. So off I went in search of a recipe and found this o


                  Second one is just knocking me out. It's for Bacon Apple Pie. The real trick here is that you use BACON for the top lattice crust. OMG. Here's a link:
                  ...with delicious, crispy bacon lattice! Other bacon apple pie recipes call for bacon to be crumbled into the pie filling, but this one uses a bacon w


                  It's too hot today to bake in Sacramento, but on the first cool day, YUM !
                  WHAT I HAVE LEARNED SO FAR, MOSTLY THE HARD WAY

                  Comment

                  • Toyman321
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 1620



                    My kid-o's got a kids cooking channel, here's an easy jerky recipe.

                    Comment

                    • robodeer
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007
                      • 561

                      Any go-to websites or youtube channels for healthy recipes? Low fat, low sodium, etc. would also be welcome.
                      F-15 Strike Eagle Pilots Talk BS While Aerial Refueling

                      Comment

                      • 900ss
                        Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 148

                        I'm new to this thread - darn it! - does anyone know where this recipe is available? The link is dead unfortunately.

                        THanks!


                        Originally posted by stilly
                        hehehe, LET me speed up their reply: This is a GUN site, not a FOOD site. What is wrong with posting your recipes in OT like everyone else? :P

                        Okay, I admit, I put the :P on myself...


                        Now for that chicken tikka...

                        PLEASE keep in mind that I made this recipe BEFORE I discovered poached chicken and how to NOT poach it, or poach it the proper way. Actually, I THINK this could work out with a slight variation.

                        Here is the variation: Turn on the crockpot and allow the ingredients to heat up to a boiling point (pour it all in, but leave out the chicken, check back in xx minutes depending on your crockpot) Once it is boiling/bubbling, turn it off and drop in your chicken (slowly) and mix it around. Turn the heat/crockpot back on and just let it sit for about a 10-15 minutes but if you see it start to boil, TURN IT OFF. Then let it sit for half hour or an hour or so. I have found that it also helps to cut the breasts into strips/filets or whatever pieces you use (boneless thigh/leg meat) make sure they are not THICK, cut them in half or filet them slightly, maybe like butterfly them. This will improve the cooking.

                        The reason for this variation is that I have found that by putting the crockpot on high or low for xx hours my crockpot seems to BOIL the meat after a while and THAT IS BAD for chicken. By boiling chicken you make it tough and dry it out. But by turning off the heat and just letting it simmer it should absorb and be very juicy. This is of course going to happen if you take the chicken out from the fridge and put it into the already boiling sauce, which will cool it down a bit and reduce the temp from boiling.

                        Now the recipe:


                        Maybe next recipe I will post will be my apple pie moonshine or cherry watermelon moonshine...

                        Comment

                        • SWalt
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2012
                          • 8702

                          Too much good stuff in here not to bump this. Heck, should be a sticky and let it be added to!
                          ^^^The above is just an opinion.

                          NRA Patron Member
                          CRPA 5 yr Member

                          "...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson

                          Comment

                          • SonofWWIIDI
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 21583

                            Originally posted by SWalt
                            Too much good stuff in here not to bump this. Heck, should be a sticky and let it be added to!
                            Sorry, not sorry.
                            🎺

                            Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                            Comment

                            • BadKitty
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 1409

                              Originally posted by SWalt
                              Too much good stuff in here not to bump this. Heck, should be a sticky and let it be added to!

                              I'm on it! I have a bunch of stuff I can post. I like to try new recipes out!
                              Meowr!

                              Comment

                              • BadKitty
                                Senior Member
                                • Jan 2011
                                • 1409











                                I decided to challenge myself and create some homemade Gansitos. After the cakes cooled down, I had to freeze them so that I could cut a channel into the tops. Then I piped jam and homemade frosting down the top and re-froze them. The next step was to temper some chocolate so that the coating would have "snap" to it. The chocolate is a bit too thick, and they aren't particularly elegant-looking; but, the chocolate did set! I even managed to get the sprinkles on top.
                                Meowr!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1