Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ammo choice to help with limp wrist issue?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Curious1
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 16

    Ammo choice to help with limp wrist issue?

    Are there ammo choices that can help prevent malfunctions when someone limp wrists?
    Last edited by Curious1; 04-10-2019, 11:09 PM. Reason: remove excess verbiage
  • #2
    Devilmonkey89
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2013
    • 1539

    I'm going to go with more rounds down range to fix the limp wrist.
    NRA Lifetime Member

    Comment

    • #3
      SkyHawk
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Sep 2012
      • 23531

      When she shoots one handed, is she still holding the gun straight up and down? Have her try canting the gun about 45 degrees.

      My thought would be hotter ammo not weaker ammo. That, and buy a Glock.
      Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

      Comment

      • #4
        SkyHawk
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Sep 2012
        • 23531

        Originally posted by Curious1
        Good question about the cant. I don't recall - the instructor was between me and her. When I started one-handed, he reminded me to cant. I assumed he did the same with her.
        If she was canting, then maybe have her try straight up and down. There is no best answer, some people do better with straight up and down and some trainers teach that way for one hand ops.
        Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

        Comment

        • #5
          grantar2
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2014
          • 3581

          If the issue is limp wrist changing the round isn't likely to help. The gun depends on her being the immovable object that allows the rounds gasses to drive the slide back against the spring enough to allow the ejector to do it's job.

          A hotter round would seem the answer but it is only going to make it harder for her to shoot, and less willing to practice.

          I assume the instructor reviewed her one handed grip technique. The can't may well help.

          Also before selecting critical defense you might want to review the over penetration risk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0piGeTVMZWs

          Comment

          • #6
            BonnieB
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2012
            • 1969

            I'd rather do training to correct the limp-wrist issue than rely on an ammo change. That's like golfers who think that changing the brand of golf-ball will fix their swing.

            And is IS an issue of strength. I can shoot my .380 one-handed, either hand, all day long and be very accurate. But I can hardly hold up my all metal 1911 .45 single handed, never mind being accurate. I'm simply not strong enough to hold up a 36 oz gun (unloaded) at arms length. Never mind adding the ammo.

            I encountered this problem at a league shoot. I had been shooting my 1911, because it's my best gun, until I learned that the fourth or fifth week we would be doing one handed shooting as well. I immediately dusted off my composite 9 mm (the lowest caliber they'd allow). And I still didn't do all that well.

            If I thought I needed to shoot one-handed very often, I'd get with a personal trainer at my gym and find out how to strengthen that particular set of muscles. Or sit in front of TV, raising and lowering a four pound can of tomatoes at arms length until it didn't hurt any more.

            Practicing once a week at the range is not going to build up muscle any time soon.

            All that said, EVERYONE who does CCW should practice all the combinations (right-hand-right-eye, right-hand-left-eye, left-hand-right-eye, left-hand-left-eye and all the above both single hand grip and both hands), because you never know where your cover will be or which hand or eye might be out of commission in an emergency.
            WHAT I HAVE LEARNED SO FAR, MOSTLY THE HARD WAY

            Comment

            • #7
              vintagearms
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2009
              • 6841

              If canting the gun doesn't seem to help then perhaps the gun might be a bit too big or heavy for her.

              Comment

              • #8
                ConstitutionallyConscious
                Member
                • Aug 2014
                • 207

                I might add that not only going with a hotter round (+p) but also going with a heavier grain bullet might also increase reliability. I know with my wifes kimber solo 9mm it says to only shoot 124gr and higher. It's worth a shot.(pun intended) That gun seems to limp wrist with 115s. We use 147gr HSTs. Also what caliber is your wifes gun.
                My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Hosea 4:6

                For he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4

                Comment

                • #9
                  dave3223
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 664

                  I've had a problem with limp wristing myself and found that getting a firmer grip will usually solve the issue. Also, make sure that the placement of her left thumb does not come into contact with the slide. Try having her fire the gun with both thumbs up and away from the gun for a few rounds with a firmer grip and see what that will do.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Citizen_B
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2014
                    • 1431

                    I'd focus on fixing the Limp Wrist issue first and foremost. Does she shoot iso or weaver (specifically her grip technique)? If her hand grip isn't that strong, she might try weaver which uses larger muscle group via isometric tension.

                    Perhaps try to get her some range time with a lighter recoiling gun where she can focus on stronger gripping with proper trigger control. The other option is have her try a heavier gun which should be less prone to LW.

                    Regarding limp wristing aids, these would be better:

                    1) Hotter (+p) round.
                    2) Lighter grain round (all else being equal).
                    3) Weaker recoil spring.

                    The issue with LW malfunctions is the gun isn't held down well enough to provide reciprocating force against the slide for it to cycle properly. A hotter round works better because it's throwing the slide back faster with more force. A lighter grain is better because it puts it energy into a snappier recoil / faster slide reciprocation (all other things being equal). A weaker recoil spring is better because it more easily allows the slide to reciprocate. However, using the above ideas could bring it's own set of issues. Again, I'm not suggesting these as solutions to LW - there is only one real solution to that.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Citizen_B
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2014
                      • 1431

                      The weapon light on front is added weight in a good spot and helps keep the muzzle down on recoil, which helps in avoiding limp wristing. Might be worth it to try 115/124 +p. I suspect using those with the light back on will reduce malfunctions significantly.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        grantar2
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2014
                        • 3581

                        If the gun isn't having problem cycling other than one handed shooting, fixing the strength in the hand is the best first choice.

                        A hotter or heavier load is going to increase recoil. Just as importantly in a gun meant for real home defense and not fun range shooting, the +p may make it harder to get a second round on target. If your shooting one hand it is likely going to be a result of the other hand being engaged or injured.

                        It is amazing what you can do strength wise with a squeeze ball. My bet is were not talking much additional strength.

                        You haven't mentioned if the gun has an issue when you one hand? Or more appropriate off hand/weak hand shoot.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ConstitutionallyConscious
                          Member
                          • Aug 2014
                          • 207

                          I wouldn't worry about the recoil to much. In my own testing I find the 115gr jhp and 147gr +P HSTs were indistinguishable. I mixed them up randomly in a mag and could not tell the difference. 5 & 5. Neither could my wife. This was not in a large handgun either. I thought I could notice the diffance before mixing them big time. All in our heads imo. But on the other hand. Some guns are just very sensitive to lr. My g34 seems to LR no matter what what my wife does. And I can't even force a LR out of It. Her USPC 9 cannot be limp wristed by her or myself.
                          My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Hosea 4:6

                          For he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            JohnCCW
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 1307

                            It's all physics.
                            Yes- the light helps.
                            Heavier bullet / not a lighter one / recoils more- all things being equal.
                            sigpicDon't ask how many guns I own, I lost count.
                            Rick Perry, Ted Cruz Trump for President 2016, because Hillary is NOT an option.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SevenSixTwoNATO
                              Member
                              • May 2015
                              • 196

                              https://youtu.be/3QXnyZN60Pk
                              I have click bait problems

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1