Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What gun would you concealed carry

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    RickD427
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Jan 2007
    • 9276

    Originally posted by grantar2
    Deb and I would appreciate your help. Well we have a lot of data from NSSF on what is popular nationwide, we don't have sufficient data for Southern California. We have now opened our first brick and mortar CCW boutique, and we have a focus on women. However we have vendor who will make IWB holsters specifically for us.

    What we would like to know, is what gun women in our market really do or plan to carry if they CCW? Because the holsters are hybrids they have to be ordered by gun type we would like to order the right thing. We have a choice of leather and thread colors as well. Primary brown, black or other variations, and thread color. My hope is to get Teal, in honor of Bonnie, and Purple. I am open to colors other than pink.

    I hope you don't mind my asking the forum to be my focus group, but we want to go the extra mile and despite our being small were partnering with manufactures who want to do something more for this market as well. Your input helps.
    The answer really depends on your clients.

    For a person who has ordinary understanding of firearms, I would recommend the S+W "J" frame revolvers with an enclosed hammer. Those weapons are extremely simple and intuitive to operate. They will not snag as easily as other weapons and the opportunity for a malfunction is very slim. If you're carrying the weapon in an IWB holster, the shape of a revolver is much easier to conceal. The weapon's main mass is in the cylinder, and the shape tapers considerably at the hammer shroud, barrel and grip. The downside is that you only have five rounds and limited ability to quickly reload.

    Semi-autos have the capability of more rounds, but are more difficult to operate and require more range time to stay proficient. I've seen some females that have difficulty operating the slide. My wife had to give up her S+W .40 due to arthritis. It's also a lot more difficult to conceal the more squarely shaped semi-auto's on a smaller person's body.

    There is no "one size fits all" answer to your question, but for your stated purpose, I'd stay with the small revolvers.
    If you build a man a fire, you'll keep him warm for the evening. If you set a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life.

    Comment

    • #17
      Glock Girl in CA
      Member
      • Apr 2012
      • 336

      Hmmm....we have a man responding to a question addressed specifically to women about what kind of firearms a woman would choose to carry. That's silly. And so is the advice he gave.

      I'm a huge fan of semi autos, and I see no difficulty in operating them. I daresay most women I know who carry a concealed firearm DO carry semi autos and do so with no difficulty. I prefer a Sig Sauer P238 (I can rack that sweet slide with two fingers) for concealability and sometimes I walk on the wild side and carry a Glock 19 or a Glock 26. Depends on my mood.

      Comment

      • #18
        Glock Girl in CA
        Member
        • Apr 2012
        • 336

        Oh, and here's how easy it is to conceal the dreaded semi-auto:











        Also, look how fun:



        Oh, wait. You wanted to know about concealing a larger fighting gun? Ok. Here's me and my Glock 19, back when I carried behind the hip.
        iCarry Gun: Gen 4 Glock 19. iCarry Belt: Horsehide in “natural” by The Beltman. When IWB/OWB won’t do…There’s Concealed Carrie. The bag is small, so I carry my late father-in-law’s (AKA Greatest Man I Ever Knew) little Gen 3 G26 in it. Holsters custom made for my G19 by White Dog Holsters. OWB is pure […]


        Never say it can't be done.
        Last edited by Glock Girl in CA; 03-16-2015, 10:18 AM.

        Comment

        • #19
          BadKitty
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2011
          • 1409

          Glock Girl in CA, you said what I was thinking. Stick to revolvers? This woman prefers semi-autos, thanks.

          To answer the question, G42 for purse, IWB and OWB. Sometimes G19 for OWB.
          Meowr!

          Comment

          • #20
            grantar2
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2014
            • 3581

            Originally posted by RickD427
            The answer really depends on your clients.

            There is no "one size fits all" answer to your question, but for your stated purpose, I'd stay with the small revolvers.
            Rick,
            I am looking to see what women are buying for themselves. We don't and won't sell guns, ammunition or the sort. We will offer guns for consideration, but we work with a group of trainers and ranges were partnered with and / or trust, and have them help. We have a pair of lady trainers at Artemis Defense Institute that we rely on, and we suggest people go to two ranges we work with On-Target and Iron Sights to try the weapons they might want to consider.

            When she is well, we are partnering with Allison, at A Girl and A Gun in Mission Viejo (They shoot in Stanton) to have a place for an exchange of ideas, and experiences.

            In most cases our clients are women who already have their CCW, are working to get their CCW, or in many cases are LEO's looking for off duty carry options. What we provide is the ability to see, touch, and discuss options and capabilities.
            Since I am a small vendor betting my savings on inventory. What I am trying to do is find the guns women already have, or believe they want, so I have a chance at a sale. I plan to offer unique products, that meet a need, but obviously I can't afford to sit on inventory that won't turn. At the same time.

            Most of the ladies I have exchanged posts with here, know what they like, or what they want, and have experience. CCW may be new to them, but not shooting itself. For those that are new, my hope is they will go to a trainer, get instruction if required in a easy to handle caliber, then after they have basic marksmanship down, will sample a whole range of weapons to see what they shoot well. One range we recommend Iron Sights in Oceanside has a weekly Thursday night fun steel match. We recommend if they are getting a CCW, go and shoot the match. The range will let them rent different guns they can run through the process, and though there are current and former national competitors there every week, I have never in any sport met a less macho, more helpful group of competitors in my life.

            My wife and I believe that each shooter has to know the fundamentals and then discover for themselves without pressure what works for them. We recommend that our novice customers explore the different guns for themselves, do a little research, listen to different views and then ultimately go with a girl friend and shop for themselves, and don't let anyone push them to something that doesn't feel right. They can buy watches and cars on their own a gun isn't any harder. Can they rack the slide, does it feel good in the hand, do they like the weight? Go find one to shoot, and if your good with it, practice will only make you better.
            Last edited by grantar2; 03-16-2015, 12:59 PM.

            Comment

            • #21
              brekkke
              Junior Member
              • Aug 2014
              • 25

              S&W M&P Shield 9, Ruger LC9, Sig Saur P290RS. IWB behind right hip.

              Comment

              • #22
                Off the Roster
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2013
                • 2354

                +1 to the semi-auto

                Comment

                • #23
                  Glock Girl in CA
                  Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • 336

                  Grantar - did you see the rainbow craze that swept the Ladies Forum last fall? No one was immune to it - and that included the most masculine of men. A decent number of us (men and women) ended up with matching rainbow Kershaws. I would suggest you get the Sig 938 and 238 in rainbow finish. That is a safe investment

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    grantar2
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2014
                    • 3581

                    Originally posted by Glock Girl in CA
                    Grantar - did you see the rainbow craze that swept the Ladies Forum last fall? No one was immune to it - and that included the most masculine of men. A decent number of us (men and women) ended up with matching rainbow Kershaws. I would suggest you get the Sig 938 and 238 in rainbow finish. That is a safe investment
                    Thanks but I am only looking for what carry systems to stock in my store, unless I could do a matching rainbow holster.

                    I personally shoot, compete with and carry a full sized M&P in .40 S&W, and .45ACP, but it's what I am comfortable. As for my wife and daughters I leave them to pick their own. My wife spends most of her time with a Walther P22. I am not a fan, but she is a southpaw and loves it. My oldest daughter is a revolver person .357, but really prefers rifles, and shots a Marlin Lever action in .357. My youngest daughter prefers her full size Ruger SR9. Not a fan of that gun either, but then I don't have to shoot it. This is a girl that didn't like the car I gave her at 16, had a job so bought her own on ebay. Couple of years later she bought her first new car, $5K off MSRP. She doesn't need my help to pick a gun.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Glock Girl in CA
                      Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • 336

                      Originally posted by grantar2
                      Thanks but I am only looking for what carry systems to stock in my store, unless I could do a matching rainbow holster.

                      I personally shoot, compete with and carry a full sized M&P in .40 S&W, and .45ACP, but it's what I am comfortable. As for my wife and daughters I leave them to pick their own. My wife spends most of her time with a Walther P22. I am not a fan, but she is a southpaw and loves it. My oldest daughter is a revolver person .357, but really prefers rifles, and shots a Marlin Lever action in .357. My youngest daughter prefers her full size Ruger SR9. Not a fan of that gun either, but then I don't have to shoot it. This is a girl that didn't like the car I gave her at 16, had a job so bought her own on ebay. Couple of years later she bought her first new car, $5K off MSRP. She doesn't need my help to pick a gun.
                      Ah, I see.

                      WELL. If you can find a rainbow holster you will make a mint. People in this forum go crazy for rainbow guns around here - one can only imagine the madness over matching rainbow holsters... It's almost too wonderful to imagine!

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        grantar2
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2014
                        • 3581

                        Glock Girl in CA, after I get my order in and I see what can be done in some of the special holsters I am working on with three of my vendors who already think I am crazy. I will contemplate a rainbow holster. Not sure how the leather would take it, but the kydex could possibly be hydro dipped.

                        Sounds expensive though. Not sure.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          grantar2
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2014
                          • 3581

                          At the suggestion of one of the members of this forum, I am working with a holster maker to do a special prototype women's IWB / OWB. The special proof of concept holster I am having made will be for a Colt Mustang Pocketlite, will feature blue leather (were trying for indigo blue jean blue, with white thread). The holster will be more comfortable and form fitting featuring a rubber layer over the leather, which acts as a cushion, as well as a moisture barrier protecting the leather. The rubber is then covered with fleece to add comfort and wick moisture. The bottom line is you won't feel like your in harness wearing the holster IWB. If you remove the clips you can wear the holster OWB. This is great in cold weather when you don't want the gun made inaccessible by clothing, or if you shoot IDPA or training courses like we do where IWB is frowned upon or not efficient.





                          Were likely 3 weeks or so away from having them in stock, but I am really looking froward to offering something most other stores don't have. I am really excited that my wife and I have now opened our little boutique so that people can try on the products before putting down their money or filling a shoe box with unwanted solutions.

                          I apologize to anyone offended by my talking about our new shop, we just wanted to share were listening to your inputs, and were working with willing craftsman and manufactures to provide the very best we can at an affordable price.

                          I have already ordered 25 of these for various guns, and in various colors, such as black leather and teal thread, tan leather with army green thread. Your thoughts and comments are appreciate.
                          Last edited by grantar2; 03-17-2015, 9:04 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            grantar2
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2014
                            • 3581

                            Originally posted by Glock Girl in CA
                            Ah, I see.

                            WELL. If you can find a rainbow holster you will make a mint. People in this forum go crazy for rainbow guns around here - one can only imagine the madness over matching rainbow holsters... It's almost too wonderful to imagine!
                            No promises. But if you send me a clear picture of your gun and knife, I will talk to my vendors about the art of the possible.

                            I want them to see what we are talking about or I am likely to end up with a my little pony rainbow, which I am pretty sure won't sell.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Charlie50
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2008
                              • 1114

                              Glock 42, PJ Cholster, Galco ankle holster, pocket holster
                              Glock 26, Old Faithful IWB
                              Sig P220 full size, Old Faithful IWB. OWB Bianchi
                              'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
                              Joshua Boston

                              "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                sly-jay
                                Member
                                • Apr 2014
                                • 397

                                I'm in LA so no CC permit currently but hey, a girl can dream. So to answer the OPs question, I think you should make one for a Shield. I'd sure like to CC my EMP or one of my CZ-type guns but the slim Shield seems to conceal better on my body type and clothing style.

                                The holster example you posted looks great.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1