Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

FFL's with High Capacity Magazine Permit & CCW

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    auburngunsammo
    Member
    • Sep 2013
    • 292

    Originally posted by ugimports
    As a side jack regarding SSE pistols, has anyone ever thought of "re-registering" the pistol to your self with current caliber info to update AFS? Yeah, it'll cost you $19 but for those of you that want to carry your SSE this would get the correct barrel length, caliber, and type of pistol corrected.

    I'm referring to the vol registration form (vs DROS again):
    https://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf
    The previous posts are accurate to what I am doing as well. I DROS with both calibers and the longer barrel length to be exempt and the Sheriff should have no issues with CCW. I have heard of a few problems but only when the firearm is DROS'ed with ONLY .25 ACP and then the caliber is too small to qualify for CCW. I have had people in Sacramento and Placer county add SSE guns to CCW with no issues.
    Auburn Guns & Ammo
    530-852-7733
    07 FFL in Auburn, CA
    http://www.auburngunsammo.com

    Comment

    • #17
      kel-tec-innovations
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 3931

      Originally posted by ke6guj
      people were doing that a couple months ago but I read recently that someone had their volreg returned with the uncashed check and a note from Kamala Harris that this form was not for "correcting" the AFS records for a gun you own, but to register a gun that was not acquired through an FFL.


      Originally posted by Baboosh
      Yes I mark the DROS as .25/? and in the DES system I put .25acp as the first caliber and then whatever the true caliber is as the second.
      Currently San Bernardino county STILL does not allow multi caliber. Went in 3 times with 3 different people to put my Sig P938 9mm on my ccw permit and the answer is still the same. "No, must be the current caliber only"

      My check got cashed by DOJ over a month and a half ago and nothing has changed still or notice.
      WTS: Mossberg RARE Bullpup
      WTS: Glock 27 Nickel Boron coated 2 tone
      American Defense 20 MOA mount, AK47 AK74 Bullpup kit, Midwest AK rails Krink
      WTS: 7n6 5.45x39 spam cans / Crates IE area Riverside San Bernardino

      Comment

      • #18
        Baboosh
        Calguns Addict
        • Jun 2008
        • 6769

        Totally weird, just had a few customers add theirs. One was a Glock 29 10mm drosed as 25acp and they didn't say a word to him.

        I'll send him a link and see if he'll chime in.

        Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
        Just a normal guy

        Comment

        • #19
          Daydrmr999
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 552

          Originally posted by Baboosh
          Yes I mark the DROS as .25/? and in the DES system I put .25acp as the first caliber and then whatever the true caliber is as the second.
          I was the person who got the volreg returned with the check uncashed. I bought my Nano from you (Baboosh) and unfortunately the only caliber on the DROS is .25. Is it possible that the DES went through as .25/9mm? And does that make a difference if the DROS shows only .25?

          Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

          Comment

          • #20
            gw74r
            Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 492

            I can't find anything in the PC that restricts a High Cap Permit holder from using a High Cap Mag. It doesn't say they can or can't. It just talks about sales, etc. So you must have a AW license to "use" a 30 even though you have a Permit to sell them? What about using 30's you had before 2000?

            Comment

            • #21
              ugimports
              Vendor/Retailer
              • Jun 2009
              • 6251

              Originally posted by gw74r
              I can't find anything in the PC that restricts a High Cap Permit holder from using a High Cap Mag. It doesn't say they can or can't. It just talks about sales, etc. So you must have a AW license to "use" a 30 even though you have a Permit to sell them? What about using 30's you had before 2000?
              Where does it say that it is illegal to use a 11+ round magazine unless you have an AW license which would only be very few dealers in California?
              UG Imports - Fremont, CA FFL - Transfers, New Gun Sales
              Closure Schedule: http://ugimports.com/closed
              web​ / email / vendor forum

              I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

              Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links

              Comment

              • #22
                jonathan50bmg
                Member
                • Apr 2012
                • 425

                I talked to a field agent from the California DOJ, I asked him if I could use 10+ capacity magazines in my bullet button AR's for "demonstration" purposes. I told him that I want to shoot many rounds from different magazine manufacturers in order to rate each type before I sell them to those who can legally purchase high cap mags. He told me that is was "okay to do that". He told me that if I keep a copy of my FFL and High Capacity Sellers Permit on me while at the range, "nobody is going to sweat that".

                Comment

                • #23
                  gw74r
                  Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 492

                  I was confused by Brian Nussbaum's quote earlier in the thread………

                  "If you Legally have a standard Cap Mag you can use it. Just be mindful of AW laws. As your High Cap Permit dose not let you put a 30 in a BB AR".

                  It seemed ambiguous. A High Cap mag in a handgun is OK, but in a BB AR it becomes an AW?

                  I was hoping there was something written that references a Permit holders ability to actually use High Cap mags. I don't want to get busted by another DOJ agent that doesn't agree with the one jonathan50bmg talked to

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    CSACANNONEER
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 44094

                    It is perfectly legal for anyone, LCM permit holder or not, to use a +10 round mag in any rifle or handgun as long as it does not violate CA's AW laws. So, a semi auto, centerfire rifle or any semi auto handgun which is not a RAW and has a fixed mag can only have 10 round or less mags period. If you really don't understand this, don't use any +10 round mags in CA.

                    There is no special written permission for LCM permit holders to use legally acquired mags in a legal fashion because, LCM permit holders do not have any special privileges when it comes to using +10 round mags. Again, if you don't understand this, do not use +10 round mags in CA.
                    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                    Utah CCW Instructor


                    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                    sigpic
                    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                    KM6WLV

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      CSACANNONEER
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 44094

                      Originally posted by jonathan50bmg
                      I talked to a field agent from the California DOJ, I asked him if I could use 10+ capacity magazines in my bullet button AR's for "demonstration" purposes. I told him that I want to shoot many rounds from different magazine manufacturers in order to rate each type before I sell them to those who can legally purchase high cap mags. He told me that is was "okay to do that". He told me that if I keep a copy of my FFL and High Capacity Sellers Permit on me while at the range, "nobody is going to sweat that".
                      Do you have a CA AW permit? If not, I would not listen to the advise you received. I would consult your lawyer instead. A DOJ agent really can't give you special verbal permission to violate CA AW laws. Do you really want to commit a felony? It has nothing to do with your possession of +10 round mags or your LCM permit. Either use a featureless gun or a RAW but, NEVER use a +10 round mag in a fixed mag build unless you have a CA AW permit.
                      NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                      California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                      Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                      Utah CCW Instructor


                      Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                      sigpic
                      CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                      KM6WLV

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Baboosh
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jun 2008
                        • 6769

                        Originally posted by jonathan50bmg
                        I talked to a field agent from the California DOJ, I asked him if I could use 10+ capacity magazines in my bullet button AR's for "demonstration" purposes. I told him that I want to shoot many rounds from different magazine manufacturers in order to rate each type before I sell them to those who can legally purchase high cap mags. He told me that is was "okay to do that". He told me that if I keep a copy of my FFL and High Capacity Sellers Permit on me while at the range, "nobody is going to sweat that".

                        Don't do that.
                        Just a normal guy

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          acespawnshop
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jun 2012
                          • 2852

                          I would agree with Baboosh, the law is pretty clear that even with your BB AR-15 a 30 round mag creates an a-salt weapon. Nobody, even the DOJ who you spoke with can give you permission to break the law.
                          Interstate Transfers $100 (DROS included with the price)
                          Email acesjewelryandloan@hotmail.com if you need us to do a transfer!
                          Or call 626-968-5900

                          Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            ripro75
                            Vendor/Retailer
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 1676

                            Originally posted by acespawnshop
                            I would agree with Baboosh, the law is pretty clear that even with your BB AR-15 a 30 round mag creates an a-salt weapon. Nobody, even the DOJ who you spoke with can give you permission to break the law.
                            I agree as well.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Librarian
                              Admin and Poltergeist
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 44691

                              Me three.

                              See also the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/No...able_magazines and the footnote in the Magazine Qs thread, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=387409
                              ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                              Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                gw74r
                                Member
                                • Jan 2013
                                • 492

                                Ok thanks to All for the input.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1