Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Odd question for you guys

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Emdawg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 4292

    Odd question for you guys

    In the state of California, do antique centerfire (like an original 1873 Army SAA 'Peacemaker') pistols have to be registered?

    Do you need a ten day wait?
    *sniff* *sniff* Commies...
  • #2
    Cokebottle
    Señor Member
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2009
    • 32373

    No.

    1898 and earlier are no longer considered "Firearms" for purposes of transfer.
    Note that this refers to the actual manufactured date of the specific gun in question. While the "1873" may have only been produced in 1873, the Colt SAA first generation was produced until 1941.

    Only samples manufactured before 1/1/1899 would be considered antiques.
    - Rich

    Originally posted by dantodd
    A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

    Comment

    • #3
      Emdawg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2012
      • 4292

      Ok

      I heard that you still had to regardless of it being antique.

      That reminds me...

      Do you have to be 21 to buy one?

      I know you can be 18 to buy a blackpowder pistol new or antique.

      Is that the same for antique centerfire pistols?
      *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

      Comment

      • #4
        Cokebottle
        Señor Member
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2009
        • 32373

        I'm not positive on the age issue.
        I think you're okay at 18.
        - Rich

        Originally posted by dantodd
        A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

        Comment

        • #5
          Mssr. Eleganté
          Blue Blaze Irregular
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 10401

          Originally posted by Emdawg
          Ok

          I heard that you still had to regardless of it being antique.

          That reminds me...

          Do you have to be 21 to buy one?

          I know you can be 18 to buy a blackpowder pistol new or antique.

          Is that the same for antique centerfire pistols?
          You can definitely buy an "antique" centerfire cartridge firing handgun at 18 years of age. Like Cokebottle mentioned, if it fires modern ammo it must have been manufactured before 1899 to be considered an antique. So a Colt SAA made in 1898 is legal to buy at age 18. But with a Colt SAA made in 1899 you need to be 21 and go through a dealer/DROS.
          __________________

          "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

          Comment

          • #6
            Emdawg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2012
            • 4292

            Thanks guys.

            I was actually hoping to get a S&W No. 3, but they are hard to find.

            I just wanted to know the legality before I see one at a gunshow or something like that, because I have seen them, but passed them by.
            *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

            Comment

            • #7
              Eddy's Shooting Sports
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2011
              • 1329

              Pre-99 no paper is the general practice, but if you read the CA law regarding the subject it is clear that antiques that meet the federal definition of being non-firearms are exempt if licensing and transfer requirements "between individuals". It does not say they are exempt when transacted by dealers.

              I have been meaning to raise this topic as well, because the way I read CA law, is that if it uses a cartridge, it must be dros'ed if sold by a dealer, regardless of age.

              Thoughts on this?
              Greg David
              Eddy's Shooting Sports
              (650)969-GUNS

              400 Moffett Blvd., Suite F
              Mountain View, CA 94043

              www.eddysguns.com

              Tue-Fri 12-7, Sat 11-5

              Comment

              • #8
                Mssr. Eleganté
                Blue Blaze Irregular
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2005
                • 10401

                Originally posted by Eddy's Shooting Sports
                Pre-99 no paper is the general practice, but if you read the CA law regarding the subject it is clear that antiques that meet the federal definition of being non-firearms are exempt if licensing and transfer requirements "between individuals". It does not say they are exempt when transacted by dealers.

                I have been meaning to raise this topic as well, because the way I read CA law, is that if it uses a cartridge, it must be dros'ed if sold by a dealer, regardless of age.

                Thoughts on this?
                Yeah, the Penal Code seems to say that if you are a California licensed dealer then you still need to DROS "antiques". And it doesn't just include cartridge firing antiques. It would seem that even black powder firearms would need to be DROS'd.

                Antiques sold through a California licensed dealer appear to be exempt from the 10 day waiting period, the handgun safety check, proof of residency, serial number markings and the 1 per 30 limit. Antique handguns also can be transfered by a California licensed dealer to an 18 year old. But I don't see any exemption for the DROS.

                The way the law is written it seems you could open a business selling only antique firearms and not be subject to any DROS requirement, but once you become a California licensed dealer you have to DROS antiques.

                Hopefully I am missing something.
                __________________

                "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

                Comment

                • #9
                  Cokebottle
                  Señor Member
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 32373

                  Something MUST be missing in the puzzle... BassPro and many other shops have black powder pistols out on the shelf in clamshell packs sold OTC same as a holster.
                  - Rich

                  Originally posted by dantodd
                  A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Emdawg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 4292

                    I know antique long guns are exempt. Any cap & ball pistols are exempt.

                    It is not clear in catridge pistols however.
                    *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Mssr. Eleganté
                      Blue Blaze Irregular
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 10401

                      Originally posted by Emdawg
                      I know antique long guns are exempt. Any cap & ball pistols are exempt.

                      It is not clear in catridge pistols however.
                      If you are talking about sales by people who are not California licensed dealers then anything defined as an "antique" by the feds is exempt. It doesn't matter if they are handguns and it doesn't matter if they fire modern ammo. The feds exempt all antiques from having to be transfered through an FFL and California exempts all antiques from having to be transfered through a California licensed dealer.

                      If you are talking about sales by California licensed dealers then where are you seeing this exemption to the DROS for any kind of antique? The penal code requires California licensed dealers to DROS any firearms they transfer to non-licensees.
                      __________________

                      "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Eddy's Shooting Sports
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2011
                        • 1329

                        This is how I read it too. I think I am going to stay on the safe side and continue to DROS pre-99 as well.

                        I can't seem to find it, but I also remember reading a state document that exempted non-cartridge firearms. Still looking...
                        Greg David
                        Eddy's Shooting Sports
                        (650)969-GUNS

                        400 Moffett Blvd., Suite F
                        Mountain View, CA 94043

                        www.eddysguns.com

                        Tue-Fri 12-7, Sat 11-5

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          halifax
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 4440

                          Are pre-1899 still firearms by definition? If not, then DROS doen't apply to those hunks of metal.
                          Jim


                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Mssr. Eleganté
                            Blue Blaze Irregular
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 10401

                            Originally posted by halifax
                            Are pre-1899 still firearms by definition? If not, then DROS doen't apply to those hunks of metal.
                            They are definitely not firearms for purposes of the Gun Control Act. The feds consider them to be hunks of metal.

                            The problem is that California considers them to be firearms for some parts of the penal code and not firearms for other parts of the penal code. California law says you don't need a license to sell them. But California law implies that if you are already licensed to sell firearms then you have to DROS them.
                            __________________

                            "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              kemasa
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jun 2005
                              • 10706

                              I don't think that the CA DOJ understands the different definitions of an antique firearm and what applies to which PC section.
                              Kemasa.
                              False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

                              Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

                              Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1