Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New NON Real ID Drivers Licenses.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    wpod
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2014
    • 2395

    I'll be switching to an AZ license later this year.

    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

    Comment

    • #32
      FalconLair
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2012
      • 3989

      Originally posted by acespawnshop
      When has an ID ever established eligibility to purchase firearms?
      Originally posted by taperxz
      This!
      i think once they started stamping "Federal Limits Apply" it was a game changer how any license or ID presented could suffice - at some point CA will catch up with what's been already long established in most states - the state was the one reluctant to get going with the Real ID program, they waited until the last minute - im sure you know why

      Originally posted by kemasa
      The problem is that there used to be two versions of the CA ID/DL due to AB60. The AB60 says that "Federal Limits Apply", which indicated that the person was not here legally. Now with the new requirements ALL of the current licenses switch over to the AB60 version UNLESS you go in with all the required documents and prove yet again you are here legally (I had to show a birth certificate to originally get a license).

      So, what do you do when presented with such a license? What is the Federal view of it? What is the CA view of it?

      The CA DOJ memo seems to indicate that you can't accept an AB60 ID/DL, but that was before them making this a big mess.
      so, real problem is the state sat on their hands while everyone else was implementing the new Real ID program and dealing with its growing pains along the way - now, CA is being forced to catch up, this should've been done in a much more painless manner years ago, but, like i said above, im sure you know why
      Originally posted by Barang
      I! hate! you! FalconLair.
      Originally posted by JagerDog
      I hate you FalconLair!
      Originally Posted by JTROKS
      I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
      Originally posted by gcvt
      They hate you FalconLair
      Originally posted by Greta
      HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair

      Comment

      • #33
        I Swan
        Calguns Addict
        • Sep 2010
        • 8770

        What I'm hoping is just to be out of CA before my license expires. What I was wondering is if you show up for DROS with the federal limits apply license but you also bring your USA passport would you think the vast amount of FFL's would be OK with this?

        Unless I missed it somehow is there any difference whatsoever from these licenses and the ones issued to illegals?

        Here is food for thought too. There is illegals that have been here long enough that had/have regular licenses issued by CA pre circa 1994 when proof of citizenship or legal status was not asked at DMV. I assume they could easily DROS a gun if willing to lie on a 4473?

        Same with people with a license but here on a green card or work permit if willing to lie on a 4473 what if anything prevents them from successfully DROSing a gun if they lie and say they are a citizen instead of going through the extra steps non citizens do to buy a gun legally?

        Comment

        • #34
          FalconLair
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2012
          • 3989

          Originally posted by I Swan
          What I'm hoping is just to be out of CA before my license expires. What I was wondering is if you show up for DROS with the federal limits apply license but you also bring your USA passport would you think the vast amount of FFL's would be OK with this?

          Unless I missed it somehow is there any difference whatsoever from these licenses and the ones issued to illegals?

          Here is food for thought too. There is illegals that have been here long enough that had/have regular licenses issued by CA pre circa 1994 when proof of citizenship or legal status was not asked at DMV. I assume they could easily DROS a gun if willing to lie on a 4473?

          Same with people with a license but here on a green card or work permit if willing to lie on a 4473 what if anything prevents them from successfully DROSing a gun if they lie and say they are a citizen instead of going through the extra steps non citizens do to buy a gun legally?
          from what i understood after i moved to NV and had to get a license, the only difference between the 2 is the documentation you provide - of course, that could have a consequence

          providing everything gets you the Real ID, which means you have submitted all the documentation necessary to prove citizenship, while, not providing a birth certificate, or other required documents, gets you the one the reads "Federal Limits Apply" - its not proof of citizenship

          i would say its not proof that you aren't a citizen, but it limits your license to proof only that you are eligible to legally drive with that particular license, and, it cannot be used to verify your identity in any other way, especially for federal purposes - some non federal places may accept it, some may not, but im pretty sure anything federally related it will be rejected

          i don't even know if banks would accept it to open a account
          Last edited by FalconLair; 02-17-2018, 7:56 PM.
          Originally posted by Barang
          I! hate! you! FalconLair.
          Originally posted by JagerDog
          I hate you FalconLair!
          Originally Posted by JTROKS
          I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
          Originally posted by gcvt
          They hate you FalconLair
          Originally posted by Greta
          HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair

          Comment

          • #35
            97F1504RAD
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2008
            • 6319

            Just another California Clusterf#*%

            Comment

            • #36
              Burbur
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2010
              • 1258

              I started taking a tally. So far:

              23 - Federal Limits May Apply
              1 - Golden Bear

              Comment

              • #37
                I Swan
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2010
                • 8770

                Originally posted by FalconLair
                from what i understood after i moved to NV and had to get a license, the only difference between the 2 is the documentation you provide - of course, that could have a consequence

                providing everything gets you the Real ID, which means you have submitted all the documentation necessary to prove citizenship, while, not providing a birth certificate, or other required documents, gets you the one the reads "Federal Limits Apply" - its not proof of citizenship

                i would say its not proof that you aren't a citizen, but it limits your license to proof only that you are eligible to legally drive with that particular license, and, it cannot be used to verify your identity in any other way, especially for federal purposes - some non federal places may accept it, some may not, but im pretty sure anything federally related it will be rejected

                i don't even know if banks would accept it to open a account
                Bank have given accounts to illegals since the early 2000's the almighty dollar rules all.

                Comment

                • #38
                  FalconLair
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • 3989

                  Originally posted by I Swan
                  Bank have given accounts to illegals since the early 2000's the almighty dollar rules all.
                  that might be part of the changing tide though - to open an account you still need some form of valid ID and banks are federal

                  how people here illegally opened accounts before is beyond my knowledge, but, what im trying to say is that they may no longer accept a license or ID if they have "Federal Limits Apply" attached

                  when i was talking to NV DMV about this, like i said, i didn't have my birth certificate with me, so, for a moment i myself was contemplating just supplying the information to get me a drivers license, even if it had the "Federal Limits Apply" noted - after finding out it was pretty much useless for anything other than driving i decided i best get my birth certificate sent to me and get my Real ID

                  so many things are connected with having a valid identification, such as a license or ID, and, according to the DMV my restricted license would not suffice for many of those things - i would imagine the same holding true for trying to use that restricted license to open a bank account

                  and, another point, the "Federal Limits Apply" license is only good in the state issued - out of state local and federal law enforcement agencies are not obligated to accept your license as a form of identication
                  Originally posted by Barang
                  I! hate! you! FalconLair.
                  Originally posted by JagerDog
                  I hate you FalconLair!
                  Originally Posted by JTROKS
                  I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
                  Originally posted by gcvt
                  They hate you FalconLair
                  Originally posted by Greta
                  HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Chewy65
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2013
                    • 5103

                    Q: How does REAL ID implementation impact states that provide driver's licenses and IDs to certain non-citizens/undocumented immigrants?
                    REAL ID allows compliant states to issue driver's licenses and identification cards where the identity of the applicant cannot be assured or for whom lawful presence is not determined. In fact, some states currently issue such noncompliant cards to undocumented individuals. These cards must clearly state on their face (and in the machine readable zone) that it is not acceptable for official purposes and must use a unique design or color to differentiate them from compliant cards. DHS cautions against assuming that possession of a noncompliant card indicates the holder is an undocumented individual, given that several states issue noncompliant licenses for reasons unrelated to lawful presence.


                    Is using the license to purchase a firearm a use for "official business" and do this Federal Limits Apply licenses comply with that FAQ from Homeland Security?

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Quiet
                      retired Goon
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 30242

                      Originally posted by Burbur
                      I started taking a tally. So far:

                      23 - Federal Limits May Apply
                      1 - Golden Bear
                      CA DMV started issuing the REAL ID compliant CA DL/ID on 01-22-2018.
                      ^Not that many have been issued out, it's been less than 4 weeks.
                      sigpic

                      "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        I Swan
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 8770

                        Originally posted by FalconLair
                        that might be part of the changing tide though - to open an account you still need some form of valid ID and banks are federal

                        how people here illegally opened accounts before is beyond my knowledge, but, what im trying to say is that they may no longer accept a license or ID if they have "Federal Limits Apply" attached

                        when i was talking to NV DMV about this, like i said, i didn't have my birth certificate with me, so, for a moment i myself was contemplating just supplying the information to get me a drivers license, even if it had the "Federal Limits Apply" noted - after finding out it was pretty much useless for anything other than driving i decided i best get my birth certificate sent to me and get my Real ID

                        so many things are connected with having a valid identification, such as a license or ID, and, according to the DMV my restricted license would not suffice for many of those things - i would imagine the same holding true for trying to use that restricted license to open a bank account

                        and, another point, the "Federal Limits Apply" license is only good in the state issued - out of state local and federal law enforcement agencies are not obligated to accept your license as a form of identication
                        It won't matter for banks. In the days before illegals could get a CA ID they just used a Mexican ID or passport there is some questionable ID you can get at a Mexican consulate called a matricular consular or something like that that even some Mexican states I believe don't accept as valid!

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          FalconLair
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • 3989

                          Originally posted by I Swan
                          It won't matter for banks. In the days before illegals could get a CA ID they just used a Mexican ID or passport there is some questionable ID you can get at a Mexican consulate called a matricular consular or something like that that even some Mexican states I believe don't accept as valid!
                          this might interest you - i consider this a "workaround", a way to live here in the United States illegally and still open accounts, obtain credit, even report your income using this TIN, even without having a social security number - when i owned my own business i had to obtain a federal tax id number (TIN) listing my DBA (doing business as) - i did not know they allowed people here illegally to obtain a TIN in order to report income - i guess as long as the IRS get's their due they don't care about whether you're legally eligible to work in this country - same for banks too, it seems



                          Identification number
                          Originally posted by Barang
                          I! hate! you! FalconLair.
                          Originally posted by JagerDog
                          I hate you FalconLair!
                          Originally Posted by JTROKS
                          I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
                          Originally posted by gcvt
                          They hate you FalconLair
                          Originally posted by Greta
                          HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            rkt88edmo
                            Reptile&Samurai Moderator
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 10064

                            Originally posted by Quiet
                            CA DMV started issuing the REAL ID compliant CA DL/ID on 01-22-2018.
                            ^Not that many have been issued out, it's been less than 4 weeks.
                            My understanding is that the REAL ID will still only be issued if you renew in person and have the documentation and request it. Since most people renew by mail unless they are do for a new test, they will not receive the REAL ID version. The firearm purchase eligibility rules seem sort of effed until they fix this or issue a better memo.
                            If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
                            Use the goog to search calguns

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              Kyle1886
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 4290

                              Curious question:

                              When I got my last DL the DMV also issued a ID that looks just like the DL with a couple of variations to distinguish the two. (If over 70 years of age, the ID is a "bonus").

                              Drivers license is for 4 years but the ID is good for 10 years.

                              Say at some point in the future I surrender the DL or choose to use the ID instead of the DL, will a FFL accept the ID? I have not read anything about a "REAL-ID" just the DL.

                              Thank you.

                              Respectfully
                              Kyle
                              Here's to Calguns.net, past, present, and the future πŸΈπŸΈβ€‹πŸ·πŸ» 🍹
                              iTrader = +3, %100, Location: N. San Diego Co
                              https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...6#post54001874
                              _________+__________

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                FresnoRob
                                Senior Member
                                • May 2013
                                • 2133

                                My current license is good until 2020 so I’m guessing I don’t need to worry about it until then. I would be one of those who would renew by mail if possible.
                                Nice to know that may hinder me in some fashion. I do have a passport I am guessing I could use it instead of the Real-ID? I know most people are not in the habit of carrying around a passport.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1