Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How to transact money During PPT/FFL

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Mayor McRifle
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2013
    • 7771

    Originally posted by Tyke8319
    Seemed like a rather straight forward question from OP not given to a sarcastic response.





    I know exactly what the discussion is about. The "sarcastic" response implied it always "cool" when someone doesn't count funds when a transaction takes place.
    It wasn't sarcastic. Many people still operate on trust. We're talking about PPTs here. I don't deal with people I can't trust, or people who I wouldn't be able to contact if it turned out a mistake was made. You seem to be talking about retail transactions, not PPTs. But if it makes you feel better, I'll be sure to count the change you give me if I ever buy something from you.
    Anchors Aweigh

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #32
      metalhead
      Member
      • Apr 2013
      • 444

      Originally posted by Mayor McRifle
      It wasn't sarcastic. Many people still operate on trust. We're talking about PPTs here. I don't deal with people I can't trust, or people who I wouldn't be able to contact if it turned out a mistake was made. You seem to be talking about retail transactions, not PPTs. But if it makes you feel better, I'll be sure to count the change you give me if I ever buy something from you.

      Yes, same here. I operate on trust and I know who I can trust based on his itrader feedbacks and his communication. I don't count until I get home. Heck, I have made a few good friends here who I still meet up and go shooting occasionally.

      Comment

      • #33
        Cortelli
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Jun 2017
        • 427

        Originally posted by VictorFranko
        I never transact business inside a man's store.

        He's in business to sell guns, not to provide me with a comfortable, air conditioned building to sell my guns. It's called respect.

        Usually inspection and money exchanges hands in the parking lot.
        This depends entirely on the owner of the store / facility. Respect for the store's preference is important. But . . .

        I've only done one PPT (but would take the same approach in any circumstance). My seller had done numerous in the past. We agreed on the FFL, arranged to meet. I was a known quantity in the store, even if not having had done PPTs there before.

        A conversation went something like this:

        BUYER (before heading to FFL): "Is [FFL] good with exchanging cash in store and doing inspection in store, or will we need to do so outside?" (BUYER had been in store many times, but not done a PPT there)

        SELLER: "They're fine with cash and inspections inside. Meet me inside, and we'll do it all there."

        BUYER: "OK, great."

        [. . .]

        BUYER (in store): "Seller, do you mind if I inspect the firearm and load a few snap caps to test functionality?"

        SELLER: "Not at all."

        BUYER: (in store): "FFL, do you mind if I inspect the firearm and load a few snap caps to test functionality?"

        FFL: "Not at all."

        Inspect. Get paperwork started.

        BUYER: "Here's the cash we agreed on."

        SELLER: "Thanks." [Count or don't count]

        BUYER and SELLER: chat about firearms, CGN, gun laws, general topics.

        FFL: "Gentlemen, you're almost done. Seller - we have all we need form you. Thanks for stopping by and see you soon. Buyer - that'll be $35."

        BUYER walks to register.

        It seems like basic common sense - understand what your counter-party would like / prefer, and understand what your FFL would like / prefer / require. Then comply. Or don't do the transaction.
        I am not your lawyer. I am not providing legal advice. I am commenting on an internet forum. Should you need or want legal advice, please consult an attorney.

        Comment

        • #34
          Cokebottle
          Señor Member
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2009
          • 32373

          Originally posted by Powder_Keg
          Inspection
          Paperwork
          Cash
          Handshake
          I alter the order a bit:
          Inspection
          Handshake
          Cash
          Paperwork

          That way the seller can GTFO if he wants after doing his paperwork while I complete mine
          - Rich

          Originally posted by dantodd
          A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

          Comment

          • #35
            gothtac
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2017
            • 12

            folks, great feedback here.

            It certainly helps me and others I would imagine. Now I know what to do!

            thanks!

            Comment

            • #36
              Junkie
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2007
              • 4849

              Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
              I've been on both sides of the seller being handed a roll of bills or an envelope and the seller not counting it. Sure, mistakes happen. If I choose not to count the money out of trust, it's on me if it's short. So what? I can do whatever I want to whether you approve of it or not. Hell, I could even do that in a retail setting if I felt like it. But, by all means, if you ever purchase a firearm from me, please insist that I count the payment immediately.
              I managed to short a friend $20 on something. He didn't count it then, he let me know later, I mailed him the rest of it.

              Shorting someone doesn't require intent, it can be an honest mistake.
              Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
              A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?

              Comment

              • #37
                kemasa
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jun 2005
                • 10706

                So if the person does not count it at the time and instead says later that the correct amount was not given, how do you know if you made a mistake or the person is scamming you? It is in the best interest for everyone to count it at the time.
                Kemasa.
                False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

                Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

                Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1