Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Secondary Employment

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Che762x39
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 4538

    Originally posted by Gawernator
    Aha. So it's just like the military lol
    Son, civil service is way different from the military, not even close. You have no ideal

    Comment

    • #17
      Gawernator
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2014
      • 899

      Better or worse
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #18
        omgwtfbbq
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2009
        • 3445

        Originally posted by jdubs71
        X2. One that has a good work ethic and takes pride in their work vs one that shows up to collect a pay check doing as little as they can get away with.

        Another way to look at it is the officers who complain the most about being so busy, answering so many calls, or writing so many reports. Those guys are usually the ones who aren't doing a damn thing. At least in my experience.


        As to the OP. I have been considering working a second job on a once a week basis. Tried at a couple of gun shops given my prior retail exp. No luck so far. My department doesn't allow us to work security or bounce or anything like that anymore so it's kind of limited.
        "Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

        Originally posted by rmorris7556
        They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.

        Comment

        • #19
          Gawernator
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2014
          • 899

          Why would they not let you work on your own time?
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #20
            Spanky8601
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 2284

            Originally posted by Gawernator
            Why would they not let you work on your own time?
            Conflict of interest. Potential liability.
            May I always be the type of person my dog thinks I am

            Comment

            • #21
              cbright1
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2014
              • 591

              Originally posted by HP911
              I've been toying with the idea of a second source of income. Granted I'm paid very well by my department and there is certainly money to be made in OT, but I try to bust my *** off when I'm working and the idea of handing out tickets or driving/standing around aimlessly to earn a few extra bucks doesn't appeal to me too much.

              Any LEO's here work a second job or own their own business? I'd be interested in hearing about your thoughts and experiences.
              Have you considered working part time at the doughnut shop? just kidding.

              Comment

              • #22
                ncortez11
                Junior Member
                • Apr 2013
                • 64

                Try to live within your means. You have to also realize that your primary job is law enforcement. Too many people I work with are always tired and are always worrying about their part time job. I usually try not to work with them as a safety reason. Also, if you work for a larger department and something happens, people see deep pockets to sue in civil court. Don't forget the conflict of interest.

                Comment

                • #23
                  TRICKSTER
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 12438

                  Originally posted by Che762x39
                  Unless you work the streets you will not understand. Basically kissing off or passing off calls. You think you get 100% participation on a "Shots fired, man down" call?
                  Then there are the guys that are 5 minutes closer to the call than you but always get there 5 minutes after you do.


                  Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1