Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How old is too old.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Notorious
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 4703

    Originally posted by 9mmepiphany
    Did they lift the age to qualify for Safety Retirement...it used to be 35.

    We had a couple of guys come on who were 50 or older and I remember them saying with they wouldn't be getting the 3%@50
    Hmmm... Never heard that was a problem. We hired some old dudes over 35 and we contribute to the 3@50 plan for him.
    I like guns

    Comment

    • #17
      Mrbroom
      Member
      • Aug 2011
      • 361

      I took the test for LAPD right out of the military back in the 80's. Never finished it though. Over the years I kind of regretted it up until I took employment with a city agency in the Public Works department. As I'm sure, LEO's that post here will say that PW plays an important supporting role in thier activities as they too support ours to. When it really comes down to it (and here are my political views too), a city goverments only real role is to provide police, fire and public works. You want a cop when you need one, you want a paramedic when theres a medical emergency and you want your streets and sidewalks fixed.. Everything else is icing on the cake or "fluff"...
      NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
      NRA Certified RSO
      BSA Merit Badge Counselor Rifle Shooting

      Comment

      • #18
        Che762x39
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 4538

        Originally posted by Ron-Solo
        If you are not sure, I'd say go to nursing school and then become a reserve officer with your local agency. Best of both worlds, IMO.
        +1

        I was always interested in nursing since that was my mother's career. You can do well in either.

        I believe LAPD is quoting the average service length is 13 years. Two of my classmates were medically retired in less than two years.

        Comment

        • #19
          Che762x39
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 4538

          Originally posted by 9mmepiphany
          We had a couple of guys come on who were 50 or older and I remember them saying with they wouldn't be getting the 3%@50
          Exactly. To get the 3% at 50, you have to have 20 years service. So if you start at 50 you need to be 70 to get 3%.

          BTW in the near future the 3% will be gone. The Governor has already said he wants 65% as the maximum benefit.

          Comment

          • #20
            Notorious
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2008
            • 4703

            Oh... I get what you guys are saying... to get the 3% for each year of service, you have to put in 20 years, otherwise you get less percentage, per year... which is the same as regular PERS. I think you get like 2 or 2.25 instead of the whole 3 if you don't get your 20 in.
            I like guns

            Comment

            • #21
              Squid
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 1041

              I know a semi-crooked cop who started process at over 40 without any

              prior related exp., not even military service. He has a cushy post and is a full time actual cop at a major city's PD.s

              He also has at least one lawsuit against the PD ongoing, last I heard.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1