Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How old is too old.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pbchief2
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 522

    How old is too old.

    I've spent the last 4-5 years hoping the Surveying Profession would come back. Now I'm deciding on a new career. So to the question, is 36-37 too old to try and enter Law Enforcement. Right now it's that or Nursing. I had wanted to be a LEO since I was 8-9 and gave up a CHP Academy appointment at 21. Nursing just seems like a good idea. I'm thinking Florida. I'm not asking what the age limit is for a particular agency. Just personal beliefs from your experience.
    Last edited by pbchief2; 05-04-2012, 8:05 PM.
  • #2
    CaptMike
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2006
    • 1272

    that is a good age to start as long as you are physically able to complete the academy. We get lots of retired military guys that started at 18 and did their 20 years and now are startng the second career. Although, nursing pays a heck of alot better in the long run if you have your RN. I see how much my father In law and mother in law make as nurses and I say to myself that I got into the wrong business. Nursing is one of the best jobs with growth potential for the next 20 years because all the baby boomers are at that point of needing more medical care. I love being a LEO but I sure won't be rich doing it. Good luck.
    A life is not important, except for the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

    Comment

    • #3
      Ron-Solo
      In Memoriam
      • Jan 2009
      • 8581

      As you get older, LE takes a harsh toll on your body. If you have a dream, live it, but know the consequences.

      Getting a nursing degree is great. My daughter is currently in nursing school.

      If you are not sure, I'd say go to nursing school and then become a reserve officer with your local agency. Best of both worlds, IMO.

      Either choice is good, depending on what you want.
      LASD Retired
      1978-2011

      NRA Life Member
      CRPA Life Member
      NRA Rifle Instructor
      NRA Shotgun Instructor
      NRA Range Safety Officer
      DOJ Certified Instructor

      Comment

      • #4
        mixicus
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2009
        • 624

        It totally depends on you. Most of the 'older' 35+ year old guys in my class made it through the academy. They had taken the time to prep themselves physically (mostly ex-mil). Whereas the majority of drops/injuries were the unprepared early to mid 20-somethings. The a greater portion of the older guys have made a concious, educated decision to enter the profession often leaving another. Whereas a 23 year old may not have fully explored the ramifications. In the career, there something to be said for a guy that's been talking to people for 15 more years than a 22 year old. There can be a maturity level and even-keel-ness that come with age (mileage my vary).

        Now for the general down sides. An older guy may not have as many miles left on the knees and back. Patrol can take it's toll. But you can compensate by training. Also, beng in your 30's knocking on 40, you may have other considerations that could put stressors on you such as family. Rmemeber you are going to be pulling weekend nights for the next several years. There's goiing to be a lot of holidays, birthdays and family events that get missed. Make sure your family understands this and is suppportive.

        If LE is your dream...go for it!

        Comment

        • #5
          Marty33
          Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 260

          I started when I was 33, and its been great. Best decision I ever made. If it is your dream , go for it!

          Comment

          • #6
            veeklog
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2006
            • 1040

            Originally posted by Ron-Solo
            As you get older, LE takes a harsh toll on your body. If you have a dream, live it, but know the consequences.

            Getting a nursing degree is great. My daughter is currently in nursing school.

            If you are not sure, I'd say go to nursing school and then become a reserve officer with your local agency. Best of both worlds, IMO.

            Either choice is good, depending on what you want.
            Ron Solo, you are so right about LE taking a harsh toll on your body! I started at 25, and am 39 years old. I stay in very good shape because I train 6 days a week. But the sleepless nights, the call outs,all the gear we wear around our waists and upper body, and general abuse our bodies takes amazes me! I have been lucky that the only serious injury I sustained on the job was an ACL tear and subsequent reconstruction and rehab. A lot of my friend's have sustained worse injuries, and unfortunately, a close friend is getting medically retired after two back surgeries.

            My advice to all new cops out there is to please stay in shape! Trust me, I learned the hard way that you can sustain a serious injury because you aren't in shape.

            Comment

            • #7
              9mmepiphany
              Calguns Addict
              • Jul 2008
              • 8075

              If you feel LE is a calling...meaning you'd do the same job for a lot less then they are willing to pay you...go that route. That is what I did and knew it was time to get out when I started feeling that they weren't paying me enough. But there is a high amusement factor too...and that has to be worth something

              If not, Nursing is a better way to go. There are a lot of specialties available that can meet any personal interest.
              ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

              Comment

              • #8
                TRICKSTER
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Mar 2008
                • 12438

                Go for it, but find a workout plan that keeps your body flexible. We had a couple of guys that worked out all the time, but concentrated on strength training. Every time they got in a fight, they strained a muscle in their back.


                Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

                Comment

                • #9
                  TASK, LLC
                  Junior Member
                  • Dec 2011
                  • 96

                  I would go for it if you wanted to.

                  I have worked with a lot of great cops who started later, including after retirement from a military career.

                  If you have a desire to do it, don't let anything stand in your way.
                  To support the First Responder with the tactics, training and technology to ensure operational success.

                  www.TASKenforcement.org

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    tbhracing
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2008
                    • 5523

                    You're not too old. And consider this, nursing might pay a little batter, but they don't get 3%@50. And do not get to drive code 3 in a clinic/hospital setting. And right now, there are numerous departments hiring in California. See them here- www.indeed.com

                    If you're in shape, have the drive and have the desire, go for it. And if you're thinking of the fire service, please pass. There are no jobs and we are backed up on candidates.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Notorious
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2008
                      • 4703

                      You're fine for state/local but Federal LE has a 37 year old age limit.
                      I like guns

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CalCop
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 573

                        I'm pretty sure CHP still has an age limit of 35.
                        CDCR does not have an age limit.
                        Each local agency has different limits.
                        "Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen."
                        -- Sir Robert Peel

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Baconator
                          Bacon makes it better
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 9547

                          Originally posted by CalCop
                          I'm pretty sure CHP still has an age limit of 35.
                          CDCR does not have an age limit.
                          Each local agency has different limits.
                          You are correct about CHP

                          Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            9mmepiphany
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jul 2008
                            • 8075

                            Did they lift the age to qualify for Safety Retirement...it used to be 35.

                            We had a couple of guys come on who were 50 or older and I remember them saying with they wouldn't be getting the 3%@50
                            ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              fullrearview
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 9371

                              I went through with two guys who had 11-12 years on you... They were never first physically, but also never last.
                              "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1