Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I can't drive for 6 months :(

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    415dog!
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 569

    Id be happy to walk a foot beat...less stuff to log into for a while
    ten-8

    Comment

    • #17
      oddjob
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2003
      • 2399

      Lack of driving is nothing compared to the heat your gonna catch from fellow officers........

      Comment

      • #18
        retired
        Administrator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Sep 2007
        • 9411

        6 months no driving....that's easier to deal with IMO than being suspended for one day and having to turn in one's badge and duty weapon to the Lt. I had to leave my back up/off duty weapon in my locker since I wasn't a sworn leo for that day. Very uncomfortable feeling.

        I did that 3 times over my 15yrs. in patrol. What torqued me on one of them is a station trusty who owned a body shop fixed the damage and the car was only out one shift. The very next week, a trainee totaled the same car and received a written warning only since it was his first accident.

        Comment

        • #19
          Gnome
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2007
          • 1693

          Originally posted by retired
          6 months no driving....that's easier to deal with IMO than being suspended for one day and having to turn in one's badge and duty weapon to the Lt. I had to leave my back up/off duty weapon in my locker since I wasn't a sworn leo for that day. Very uncomfortable feeling.

          I did that 3 times over my 15yrs. in patrol. What torqued me on one of them is a station trusty who owned a body shop fixed the damage and the car was only out one shift. The very next week, a trainee totaled the same car and received a written warning only since it was his first accident.
          Interesting, I got a 5 day suspension for hurting some civilian employee's feelings (POE), and the Lt. didn't ask for my gun and badge. I always thought it was mandatory, but I guess it's at the Lt.'s discretion.

          It could be because my Lt. was not happy about serving me up that many days for the offense. Actually, he told me it was too harsh, and that he had done and said worse, in his day. Made me feel better.

          Originally posted by E Pluribus Unum
          During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

          He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"

          Comment

          • #20
            effbeeeye
            Member
            • Jan 2012
            • 105

            Are the police officers working the front desk at police stations usually on some sort of "time out" because of something similar to this?

            I ask because the officers working the front desk at my local police station (LAPD) always have a bad attitude.

            I was in the explorer program and I've popped in once or twice with a simple question... and whomever is there is always pissed.

            Comment

            • #21
              Bodei
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2011
              • 59

              I've been in this club too.

              Comment

              • #22
                Escalado
                Member
                • Mar 2006
                • 150

                I've been at fault in one and felt like s**t. I couldn't imagine three. Be glad you didn't get days in the rain or worse. In this time of penny counting I'm sure they thought about it. My dept. Is quick to start paper on people who they feel may become liabilities. Did they require you to get additional driving training? One of my Co workers who had a couple accidents and code-3 driving issues went back to the academy for a week.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Rico911
                  Member
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 232

                  All of the t/c's were slow fender bender/scratches. The points just add up.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Dutch3
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 14181

                    Originally posted by TurboChrisB
                    Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing...reminds me of what a mail carrier once told me....that X amount of accidents and they were out. Regardless of the circumstances.
                    I know a lady who was a mail carrier on a foot route (mailboxes next to the front door). She was putting mail in a box when a dog charged through the screen door and bit her. She got suspended without pay for "putting herself in jeopardy of a dog bite". Seems pretty harsh.
                    Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      The War Wagon
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 10294

                      Could be worse - there's always "Personnel"...


                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        retired
                        Administrator
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 9411

                        Originally posted by effbeeeye
                        Are the police officers working the front desk at police stations usually on some sort of "time out" because of something similar to this?

                        I ask because the officers working the front desk at my local police station (LAPD) always have a bad attitude.

                        I was in the explorer program and I've popped in once or twice with a simple question... and whomever is there is always pissed.
                        I can't speak to police depts., but my former dept. (LASD) had deputies working the desk all of the time and it wasn't because they were on "time out." I worked it plenty of times and it was because I worked a "county" car. If someone who worked the desk called in sick, they would pull someone out of a county car to fill the spot. We also had injured deputies working the desk on light duty. Furthermore, there was always a Watch deputy on the desk. The last may have changed since I left the dept.,but that is the way it was in the 1990s and earlier.

                        Also, please do not come into the leo forum and complain about leos; no one here wants to see it and it is not permitted per the rules. Thank you.

                        Returning to the topic: When I first came to Industry station in 1982, I found out one deputy (who I knew from working the jail with him) had been banished to the desk due to his many accidents. The Capt. told him that is where he would work until the Capt. left the station. It stayed that way until the Capt. was promoted.

                        Ron, you know the deputy (now retired), tho you may not be aware of the story.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          effbeeeye
                          Member
                          • Jan 2012
                          • 105

                          Originally posted by retired
                          I can't speak to police depts., but my former dept. (LASD) had deputies working the desk all of the time and it wasn't because they were on "time out." I worked it plenty of times and it was because I worked a "county" car. If someone who worked the desk called in sick, they would pull someone out of a county car to fill the spot. We also had injured deputies working the desk on light duty. Furthermore, there was always a Watch deputy on the desk. The last may have changed since I left the dept.,but that is the way it was in the 1990s and earlier.

                          Also, please do not come into the leo forum and complain about leos; no one here wants to see it and it is not permitted per the rules. Thank you.

                          Returning to the topic: When I first came to Industry station in 1982, I found out one deputy (who I knew from working the jail with him) had been banished to the desk due to his many accidents. The Capt. told him that is where he would work until the Capt. left the station. It stayed that way until the Capt. was promoted.

                          Ron, you know the deputy (now retired), tho you may not be aware of the story.
                          Not complaining, simply trying to ascertain how an officer might end up at the front desk. Sorry if my comments seemed defamatory. Just stating my experience...

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Rockit
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2007
                            • 1337

                            Originally posted by Bodei
                            I've been in this club too.
                            This club is like motorcycle crashes. Have or have not.....all will eventually
                            It's just one of those things. You spend enough time behind the wheel and you'll occasionally bang some up.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1