Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Front License Plate

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Boswell
    Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 478

    Front License Plate

    I just purchased a 2008 Corvette and it does not have a license plate bracket on the front. Hence, I have the license plate inside the car on the front seat. Will I likely be stopped for not having it affixed on the car? If I do get stopped, will it be a fix-it ticket? How much is the ticket?
  • #2
    mlatino
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 2762

    MANY Corvette owners seem to think they have some sort of exemption from having front plates. Unfortunately, they don't. If cited, it is a fix-it ticket that usually entails a $25 processing fee with proof of correction.

    Once you get your ticket signed off, like many other Vette owners, you may be tempted to remove it again. IF you decide to do that, look into 24004 VC and think again.
    Originally posted by DREADNOUGHT78
    Lol! Hey great time!!! I am beat tired and dude is definately getting his Hummer tomorrow!

    Comment

    • #3
      DVSmith
      Cantankerous old coot
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2007
      • 3702

      When our city installed red light cameras, there was a new interest in front license plates and the local PD was very active ticketing everyone. That seems to have diminished. My wife ran around without a front plate for almost a year because she had a crunched bumper without anyone hassling her. I see a lot of cars in so cal without front plates. I don't think it is a big issue. But when you do get tagged, as mentioned, I would keep it fixed.

      Comment

      • #4
        TRICKSTER
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Mar 2008
        • 12438

        Yes you can get a ticket. It will most likely be written as a fix it, but it doesn't have to be, it's up to the officer. Cost varies by judicial district. The dealership can order front plate mounting brackets. By law you are required to display both plates, if you don't want to do this, you are giving the police reason to stop you whenever they want.


        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

        Comment

        • #5
          sfhondapilot
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2011
          • 666

          Fix it in SF is $10. I have zip tied my front plate to the lower air intake grill on my e46 M3.
          David

          Comment

          • #6
            X231
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2012
            • 511

            Of course Vettes are exempt from front plates! Must have been because mine never had one

            I did read 24004 VC. I may be wrong, but I didn't see where it said that after the first one you could NEVER get one again. I did see where it said you could drive to the extent necessary to get it fixed after being informed by an officer. I took that to mean that after you fixed it and it was signed off that instance was over and done with. Maybe that's not the case with the law but it seems to me rather silly that you'd be on license plate parole for the rest of your life. Personally I think that if the officer's sole purpose for stopping you and issuing a citation was for a no front plate beef they have too much time on their hands ... jmho
            Originally Posted by DannyInSoCal
            The half of us paying for everything - Will not defend the other half - With the guns they hate - From the tyrants they love. Good luck liberals...

            Comment

            • #7
              Peter W Bush
              Calguns Supreme Overlord
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Jan 2009
              • 4727

              My truck has no place in the front for a plate and there isn't a bracket available. I got a ticket for no front plate, zip tied the plate to the front bumper, and somehow convinced the CHP officer to sign it off. Somehow the plate made its way back inside my car on the way to work that day lol. I told the officer in all honesty, I'm not drilling holes in a $6k bumper.
              Will trade liquor/wine/beer for parts and accesories and ammo! PM me. Dont drink n shoot. Offer void where prohibited. Must be 21 or older, etc. etc.

              Originally posted by TURBOELKY
              Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
              Originally posted by TURBOELKY
              put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D

              Comment

              • #8
                pTa
                Senior Member
                • May 2008
                • 1045

                my bumper is destroyed /so i prop the plate on my dashboard/ very viewable from in front this way
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  mlatino
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 2762

                  Originally posted by pTa
                  my bumper is destroyed /so i prop the plate on my dashboard/ very viewable from in front this way
                  Although still illegal.
                  Originally posted by DREADNOUGHT78
                  Lol! Hey great time!!! I am beat tired and dude is definately getting his Hummer tomorrow!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    disturbed1
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 525

                    I use to get these tickets, but I got them because I got pulled over for other reasons. Cops are not gonna waste their time anymore for a front license plate. The last one I got, the cop was nice enough to mark it as a fix it but the law has changed it to a non fix, so you have to fix it and still pay the fine. Forgot how much I paid. I have noticed that cops are way more laid back on stupid infractions. Not sure if its because they are not interested in that or I just dont drive like a jack *** anymore even though my car is a huuuuge red beacon on the radar with the huge spoiler, loud exhaust, slammed to the ground with fat brakes and medium tinted windows.
                    Gun control is NOT missing.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Ackrite
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 1043

                      I've had no fewer than 3 no front license plate tickets. I just got the most recent one signed off last thursday. It's no big deal, just pay the $25. In fact, the one previous to the recent one got me off the hook on a speeding ticket by CHP in Tracy. I was doing 85 in a 70 and he had to give me some kind of ticket so I got a fix-it ticket that didn't cost me a penny some how and I got off with a warning for speeding. He was a cool guy that noticed my M1 endorsement and we talked motorcycles for about 10 minutes.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        erik_26
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2010
                        • 3907

                        They make a hide-away bracket. So when you are at a car show or whatever, you can hide the plate.



                        Signature required

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ckim34
                          Member
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 408

                          As a Yvette owner and po po I suggest at least getting front plate bracket. Save yourself the hassle.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Bodei
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 59

                            I think only traffic officers write 'em. I'd rather keep the P.C. rolling...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Hopalong
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 2436

                              I know that Corvette owners don't like front license plates on their cars.

                              I've got one

                              Yes, the C6 does not come with a front bracket

                              But as was mentioned above, you can get an aftermarket one

                              And there are plenty to choose from

                              Get one, put it on, enjoy your ride, who needs the hassle.

                              You can still drive fast, they don't add that much drag.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1