Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
LEO owning an Assault rifle.
Collapse
X
-
As a retired Arizona LEO (25yrs) I really feel sorry for you guys over there in California.
Being able to own what I want without the state breathing down my neck is so nice after reading these posts.01-FFL - Restorer and sales of old battle rifles
Smile, it makes then wonder what your up to !
Leave it cleaner than you found it, one day you may come back to it.
Ooh Rah- 1969-1978Comment
-
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell on a BBC broadcast, April 4, 1942
"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." ---Wyatt EarpComment
-
You think your Sheriff does? How about the Commissioner of the CHP? He won't give letters either. Damned shame. And he could make a serious change in the LEO world!Comment
-
DOJ has tightened up on AW registrations for LEO in the last year or so. CLEO "designees" must now be pre-designated on an authorization letter sent to DOJ.
DOJ has also formed an opinion that converting a BB equipped AR to an AW with an authorization letter is prohibited because there is no provision to allow a peace officer to manufacture an AW. You can only purchase one from an AW dealer.
There is also an attorney general opinion pending on whether or not a peace officer is allowed to retain his or her purchased AW after separation/retirement from LE. That should get interesting.Comment
-
Which is why I've always respected the state of AZ. I like the gun laws (lack thereof) and the huge acceptance of offroading.
Comment
-
"......I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f**k with me, I'll kill you all......"
Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders, 2003Comment
-
We just went through this at my department. The opinion is from two attorneys working on behalf of the California State Sheriff's Association. They basically said that since the retired LEO is no longer performing LEO duties, they don't need the gun. Their opinion is the gun should be surrendered to the agency upon retirement. Luckily it was just an opinion from liability minded lawyers for liability minded administrators, and not a law. Even if the AG formed the opinion, existing law is that we keep the guns. For the officer to be required to turn the gun in at retirement, a new law would have to be passed. That new law should only apply to purchases made after the law went into effect. If it was the law, they would be crazy to expect anything more than the stripped receiver being surrendered.Comment
-
-
Fixed.We just went through this at my department. The opinion is from two attorneys working on behalf of the California State Sheriff's Association. They basically said that since the retired LEO is no longer performing LEO duties, they don't need the gun. Their opinion is the gun should be surrendered to the agency upon retirement. Luckily it was just an opinion from liability minded lawyers for liability minded administrators, and not a law. Even if the AG formed the opinion, existing law is that we keep the guns. For the officer to be required to turn the gun in at retirement, a new law would have to be passed. That new law should only apply to purchases made after the law went into effect. If it was the law, they would be crazy to expect anything more than the stripped receiver being surrendered in 3 pieces.Comment
-
I think I had this discussion with Ron-Solo and after talking to my Lt. and Chief THEY are in the opinion that since the weapon is registered in MY name and its not a Full-Auto weapon I get to keep it when I retire.
I like having a chief and admin staff that's somewhat gun friendly.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,681
Posts: 25,150,391
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,868
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 19819 users online. 131 members and 19688 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment