Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 for duty.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    jc0311
    Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 201

    Originally posted by Bobby Ricigliano
    I love 1911's and own several. When we became authorized for 1911's I bought a Sig TacOps for that specific purpose. But then I wondered off to Glocks because those were also newly authorized. 1911's are high on the cool and nostalgia meters, and there is an unspoken "gunfighter" vibe that goes with a cocked and locked 1911 in a duty holster. Nevertheless, I am in the Glock camp for duty purposes nowadays. In regard to the .45acp, I just bought a Glock 41 and I am considering the possibility of using it as a duty weapon, if I can find an authorized duty holster that fits it.
    Same thing with me, I am currently using a Glock 17 Gen 4 as my duty weapon. I bought a 1911 S&W E series and 1911 Sig Scorpion. Besides taking time off two days for the course, the 1911 has the "cool" factor, however for on duty use I dont think it's the best choice. I find myself shifting between the Glock 17, to my Sig P226 Legion, to my Beretta 92FS for on duty use. I also have a Glock 21 and Glock 30. i am all for any type of authorized gun as long as your proficient in it.

    Comment

    • #17
      Bobby Ricigliano
      Mit Gott und Mauser
      CGN Contributor
      • Feb 2011
      • 17439

      Originally posted by jc0311
      Same thing with me, I am currently using a Glock 17 Gen 4 as my duty weapon. I bought a 1911 S&W E series and 1911 Sig Scorpion. Besides taking time off two days for the course, the 1911 has the "cool" factor, however for on duty use I dont think it's the best choice. I find myself shifting between the Glock 17, to my Sig P226 Legion, to my Beretta 92FS for on duty use. I also have a Glock 21 and Glock 30. i am all for any type of authorized gun as long as your proficient in it.
      There is a stainless S&W 1911 E-Series .45 that has scalloped serrations and really nice custom wood grips. When I saw that it was less than an $800 pistol I bought it on the spot.

      Comment

      • #18
        DriftinG Z32
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • May 2007
        • 486

        To anyone out there carrying a 1911 on duty. How many magazines total are you carrying and what type of magazine pouch are you using?

        Comment

        • #19
          CinnamonBear723
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2011
          • 1874

          Originally posted by Bobby Ricigliano
          1911 = The garaged sports car, taken out on weekends and road trips.

          Glock = Ugly commuter car. Daily driver. Turnkey, always works, and gets you where you need to go.
          Pretty much my thoughts on the matter as well.

          Comment

          • #20
            9M62
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2011
            • 1519

            Consider a SIG P320 X-FIVE full size.

            You get 1911 size and weight, 9mm round and 21 round magazine capacity.

            To answer your question though: All the guys who switched to a 1911 at my place have switched back. They got tired of the maintenance and having to carry 5 magazines.

            Comment

            • #21
              micro911
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 2346

              When I was on patrol, I used to carry a H&K USP 45. Because it was a big gun, and I thought it will scare the bad guys. Had the department authorized 1911s, I would carry it, since it fits my hands much better than USP.

              Comment

              • #22
                101st Airborne
                Senior Member
                • May 2011
                • 665

                Originally posted by micro911
                I was originally issued a 6 shot revolver and 2 speed loaders when I was hired in the 80s. I think we had much better hit ratio than now.
                S&W Model 28?

                Thank you for your service.
                Army Veteran 2/31st F.A., 101st Airborne
                NRA Patron Life Member/CGN Contributor
                CRPA Member

                Comment

                • #23
                  Bobby Ricigliano
                  Mit Gott und Mauser
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 17439

                  Originally posted by 101st Airborne
                  S&W Model 28?

                  Thank you for your service.
                  I will guess S&W Model 15, a very popular duty revolver BITD.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    SoCalDep
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2007
                    • 815

                    If carrying the 1911 I'm usually running four or five mags total (including the one in the gun) on me. For 8rd mags I like the Wilson ETM-HD or the Tripp Cobra 8rd mags. They seem to work really well in my TRP. The most reliable mag I've used is the CMC Power Mag bodies (originally 8rd) with Tripp Super-7 spring/follower kits - They turn the mags into 7 rounders, but they run like a top in every .45 1911 I own and I use them for all my spare magazines. I do not use 10rd mags.

                    As for switching to a 1911... If you like them and you will shoot them more and maintain them and understand the disadvantages and work to maximize the advantages (read: be a really accurate shooter) then go for it. If you will be a better shooter via enthusiasm then whatever decent gun gets you there is the best gun for you.

                    Personally, the 1911 is my favorite pistol and I love shooting them and carrying them sometimes, but I've been carrying 9mm Glocks mostly over the past four months or so and I've been really happy. I've got partners that rock M&Ps like you'd not believe and I still have a solid opinion of a well-set up Beretta in proficient hands. I honestly don't care what firearm a person uses as long as they practice with it and get really good.

                    If you were to work for a certain large Sheriff's department you might email certain members of the range staff, or maybe PM people here who might be part of that group who could run you through some drills to let you compare your performance with a Glock v. 1911 v. something else.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      micro911
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 2346

                      Originally posted by 101st Airborne
                      S&W Model 28?

                      Thank you for your service.
                      Originally posted by Bobby Ricigliano
                      I will guess S&W Model 15, a very popular duty revolver BITD.
                      I was issued a "NEW" S&W model 67. I was the second class that was issued a model 67. Other classes were issued a model 15, some of them were old and beat up..

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        SoCalDep
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2007
                        • 815

                        I need to get an LASD model 15... hopefully not too beat up.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Quiet
                          retired Goon
                          • Mar 2007
                          • 30242

                          Originally posted by TacopsDep417
                          Has anyone switched from a duty polymer gun such as Glock 21 or 41 to a 1911? Or the other way around. anybody here if they regret the switch or can tell me the pros and cons...
                          During the mid-2000s, when my brother was going through the Long Beach PD Academy, they issued him a Para-Ordnance P-7.45 LDA (all academy recruits were issued it). After he graduated, they told him he had to buy his own service weapon and he needed to return the Para-Ordnance P-7.45 LDA. He ended up getting a H&K USP-45 as his duty weapon.
                          sigpic

                          "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            tahoetarga
                            Member
                            • Jan 2012
                            • 269

                            I went from a 1911 (Colt Mark IV, series 70) to a Para-Ordnance in the late 80's or early 90's. Carried it till about 2000 when I bought a G21. Pluses and minuses on all of them. The Glock has been a very dependable pistol...
                            Last edited by tahoetarga; 05-24-2017, 7:26 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              HP911
                              Member
                              • May 2013
                              • 159

                              I envy all you guys who have the different options for duty guns. I work for a large department and everyone has to carry a Sig 226 in .40 over here.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                TrailerparkTrash
                                Veteran Member
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 4249

                                I love 1911's. That said however, one can't beat carrying a Glock factory 33-rnd magazine in their sap pocket or tactical vest for a G17 if one really wanted to. This is in addition to the four 17-rnd mags already carried on the Sam brown and one in the gun.

                                Like 'em or not, the polymer tactical-Tupperware 9's will always "outgun" a 1911 when it comes to ammo capacity. Always.
                                sigpic

                                It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

                                -ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1