Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 for duty.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TacopsDep417
    Banned
    • Mar 2017
    • 320

    1911 for duty.

    Has anyone switched from a duty polymer gun such as Glock 21 or 41 to a 1911? Or the other way around. anybody here if they regret the switch or can tell me the pros and cons...
  • #2
    CinnamonBear723
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 1874

    I personally have not, but i do have a brother who works in so cal as a copper as well. He switched over to the 1911 and he loves it. As much as i disagree, i will admit he sometimes can out perform me in slow fire accuracy. Just for reference he carries the long beach operator. I can out perform him in combat courses but that mostly related to ammo capacity. I carry a glock 21sf and we do battle often.

    I still fight against it. As much as i love and own 1911 for personal use and range toys, i find there is little better for gun fighting in the street than a polymer wonder. Just my thoughts.

    Comment

    • #3
      TacopsDep417
      Banned
      • Mar 2017
      • 320

      You think you would dominate the range against him if you had a. Glock 41 rather than the Glock sf21

      Comment

      • #4
        mixicus
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2009
        • 624

        We authorize both 1911's and Glock as a personally owned alternative to the issued pistol. None of the officers that went to the 1911 platform have switched away. Of course, none of the Glock people have switched either.

        The big difference (con?) is the number of mags the single stack 1911 crew carries. The pro is the guys with a pistol of their choosing feel they can be more successful than with another.

        Comment

        • #5
          1911su16b870
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Dec 2006
          • 7654

          Officers with weak or injury prone/damaged/healed wrists may be better off with a heavier, slimmer 1911 than the G21/G41 duty guns. Of course those that carry a 1911 will need 5 x 1911 (47Ds) magazines to get up to 40 rounds of duty ammo on their person than the 3 Glock 21 mags.
          "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

          NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
          GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
          Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
          I instruct it if you shoot it.

          Comment

          • #6
            micro911
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 2346

            I am retired, and had several polymer frame pistols. Now, I have gotten rid of most of them except couple of Glocks. I have acquired several 1911s since .

            1911s fit my hands much better than Glock 21 or 41.

            Comment

            • #7
              CinnamonBear723
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2011
              • 1874

              Originally posted by TacopsDep417
              You think you would dominate the range against him if you had a. Glock 41 rather than the Glock sf21
              No. A longer site radius and longer barrel would be pointless in close quarters gun fighting. The other factor is I my brother is an excellent shot and trains hard so I have to give respect where respect is due. I would actually argue a glock 41 would add to my quick draw time.

              My biggest beef with the 1911 is single stack ammo capacity. If you get the right one, they can be every bit as reliable as a glock. Single action has a lot to offer as well.

              Again, in a combat course I can do better than him only because I can put more rounds down range without reloading. Because he's squared away, a lot of how well he does says a lot about the shooter he is, which is the most important aspect of shooting.

              I think that glock is an easier platform to train more ppl on and develop muscle memory. No grip safety, no thumb safety, larger ammo capacity.

              Any more questions?

              Comment

              • #8
                micro911
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 2346

                Originally posted by CinnamonBear723
                My biggest beef with the 1911 is single stack ammo capacity.
                I was originally issued a 6 shot revolver and 2 speed loaders when I was hired in the 80s. I think we had much better hit ratio than now.

                Comment

                • #9
                  CinnamonBear723
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2011
                  • 1874

                  Originally posted by micro911
                  I was originally issued a 6 shot revolver and 2 speed loaders when I was hired in the 80s. I think we had much better hit ratio than now.
                  I bet you guys did. My Sgt is up there in yrs and about to retire. He doesn't even practice anymore and still outshoot a majority of the dept. He was originally issued a smith 6 shooter and a clam shell holster? He's described it but I've never seen the holster.

                  Why aim when you have 50+ rounds to blow through?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Che762x39
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2011
                    • 4538

                    Originally posted by micro911
                    I was originally issued a 6 shot revolver and 2 speed loaders when I was hired in the 80s. I think we had much better hit ratio than now.
                    I think we had better qualification courses. 30 rounds at 25 yards so you have to be spot on and master that revolver's trigger. Now I hear a lot of agencies just counts hits and misses.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      micro911
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 2346

                      Originally posted by Che762x39
                      I think we had better qualification courses. 30 rounds at 25 yards so you have to be spot on and master that revolver's trigger. Now I hear a lot of agencies just counts hits and misses.
                      During my career, I hit 300 once. Had bunch of 299s. 298s, and 297, with a revolver.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        5.56
                        Member
                        • May 2015
                        • 470

                        Based on your post it sounds like you want the "big bad .45" but are having issues controlling a Glock 21. You're not alone. I've seen very few shooters who can shoot a 21 well.

                        I think you'd be better suited in using a smaller caliber like 9mm rather than a heavier gun. Light weight polymer gun + high recoil round = lack luster performance. Heavy gun + high recoil round = better performance but less capacity. Light weight polymer gun + lower recoil round = Goldilocks factor. More capacity, more confidence, no need to find a place to put 7 mags on your person to equal 3 double stack 9mm mags.

                        1911 as a duty pistol? I don't see any benefit, cops aren't shooting bulls-eye competitions in the field and if it's time to take a well placed shot it won't be the gun that does it....

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          chsk9
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2006
                          • 1357

                          Originally posted by 5.56
                          Based on your post it sounds like you want the "big bad .45" but are having issues controlling a Glock 21. You're not alone. I've seen very few shooters who can shoot a 21 well.

                          I think you'd be better suited in using a smaller caliber like 9mm rather than a heavier gun.
                          Our Dept is G21/G21SF with G30 for the dicks. There isn't a issue with shooting them well. That said, there are proposals for transitioning to G19 for ammo costs since with proper ammo the ballistics are about the same. I'd be happy to stay with the 45 as I've never thought 'Boy, I wish I had a smaller caliber...'

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Bobby Ricigliano
                            Mit Gott und Mauser
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 17439

                            I love 1911's and own several. When we became authorized for 1911's I bought a Sig TacOps for that specific purpose. But then I wondered off to Glocks because those were also newly authorized. 1911's are high on the cool and nostalgia meters, and there is an unspoken "gunfighter" vibe that goes with a cocked and locked 1911 in a duty holster. Nevertheless, I am in the Glock camp for duty purposes nowadays. In regard to the .45acp, I just bought a Glock 41 and I am considering the possibility of using it as a duty weapon, if I can find an authorized duty holster that fits it.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Bobby Ricigliano
                              Mit Gott und Mauser
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Feb 2011
                              • 17439

                              1911 = The garaged sports car, taken out on weekends and road trips.

                              Glock = Ugly commuter car. Daily driver. Turnkey, always works, and gets you where you need to go.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1