Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ask a deployed soldier anything

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #76
    socalblue
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 811

    "ut I can say from personal experience that if an officer was being a screwball, you'd still get corrected...it'd just be with a "sir" at the end. And generally behind closed doors."

    "Sir, with all due respect" ..... means shut up & listen to the wise NCO 'cause you are about to screw the pooch big time!

    Comment

    • #77
      Richie Caketown
      Banned
      • Mar 2008
      • 4325

      i got a question

      I joined the Soldiers Angels program and adopted a deployed soldier , now i get to send him a care package or 2 this month. I would like to send him my first one as a greeting . What kind of items would deployed soldiers like out in the sandbox? What can i send him to make his day ? So far i can only think of Candy , CDs or Crystal Light

      Comment

      • #78
        CavTrooper
        Calguns Addict
        • Jul 2007
        • 5944

        Originally posted by Richie Caketown
        i got a question

        I joined the Soldiers Angels program and adopted a deployed soldier , now i get to send him a care package or 2 this month. I would like to send him my first one as a greeting . What kind of items would deployed soldiers like out in the sandbox? What can i send him to make his day ? So far i can only think of Candy , CDs or Crystal Light
        Dip, smokes, good beef jerky or other snacks, magazines, new socks, stuff like that. Send him a letter with your email adress and ask him if he wants anything in particular. I had my wife send me some spam, dont know why, but I was jonesin for the stuff. Everyone has thier odd things they get cravings for they can never satisfy.

        Comment

        • #79
          Jared145
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2010
          • 14

          What is the general thought of soldiers on the President's promise to remove Don't Ask Don't Tell?

          Comment

          • #80
            The Director
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2008
            • 2769

            Originally posted by Jared145
            What is the general thought of soldiers on the President's promise to remove Don't Ask Don't Tell?
            Yep, I'd also like to know boots on the ground opinion of this rather than what the bureaucrats say.

            Comment

            • #81
              NoahH
              Member
              • Nov 2009
              • 133

              Originally posted by The Director
              Yep, I'd also like to know boots on the ground opinion of this rather than what the bureaucrats say.
              Short answer: I don't care.

              Long answer: This is a powder keg that has needed to go off for sometime. It's no surprise our elected officials are once again using the military for their little sociology experiment, however when I was in I always assumed there was at least 1 guy in the platoon who was gay/homosexual/not straight/whatever it is today. There is going to be a a huge logistical fallout, as far as billeting, marriage, all that wonderful stuff. If they allow homosexuals to live in separate barracks, every slick PFC will be claiming he/she is gay. Obviously it will affect unit cohesion as my opinion is probably in the minority, I know a lot of people will be vocally opposed to spooning with a possible homosexual in the woods.

              Comment

              • #82
                Tintreach
                Member
                • Feb 2010
                • 367

                Wow, actually I have a funny story. There was this barber when I was in Iraq, dude would travel to all the FOB's. We'd see him all over the place, cause we'd be all over Baghdad. This dude probably made cash $12 per soldier, 10-40 soldiers I'd guess a day. He didn't do those homo scalp messages. (I am not generally against them, but all 90% are queer, ask anyone.)

                This guy would also shave you with a straight razor and shave the back of your neck and behind your ears. To me that was the best, getting a good close shave, hot towel, the whole nine yards.

                Anyhow, one of my battle buddies asked how I could let an Iraqi hold a straight razor so close to me. This mind you is while he's shaving me. I told him, because he makes too much money from guys like me and the guy spoke perfect English (which my battle didn't know). So the barber started laughing and said, yeah, he's right. He was a teacher or something by profession, but $100 Cash a day for an Iraqi is like being a multi-millionaire, therefore he became a barber. So this guy was cleaning up, but he gave a hell of a clean shave and cut. I'd use him over 3/4's of the barbers in the small shop that I use now.

                Originally posted by The Director
                Soldier 415 had an amazing thread going while he was deployed - same title as this thread. I thought it would be fun if it continued - except this time any Soldier (I use the term generically to encompass all branches) who has seen deployment can answer questions. I know I learned a lot from the last thread!

                Okay, I'll go first.

                In Iraq/Afghanistan, where do the servicemen go to get their hair cut? I notice that even in spite of heavy fighting and distant FOBs, the men in the pictures are still sporting regulation hair cuts. Is there a barber available or is it DIY with an electric clipper?
                All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise, not from defects in their Constitution or Confederation, not from want of honor or virtue, so much as from the downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation. ~John Adams

                Comment

                • #83
                  Tintreach
                  Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • 367

                  May be true, but very few. Remember you can't trust any of those guys. They sell intel that gets Americans killed.

                  My best experiences were with the Kurdish POB's (Police Order Brigades). Dunno what they call them now. The Kurds were awesome though.

                  They'd shoot people for putting us in danger, come in and kill all of the gang tribes warring in the streets, they hate most of the other Iraqis which makes them uncorruptible if you were an area they didn't inhabit. But even up north, they ran their towns and governments like King David out of the Old Testament. Eye for an eye. Only people in Iraq worth saving, besides the Christians. Which there are very, very few only a few hundred thousand if that. Those poor bastards have been getting slaughtered all of the middle east forever.


                  Originally posted by goathead
                  the best of the Afghan people are the ANA,some of the ANP, and the ASG are good people willing to dye for you!!! if the afghan people were all like that they would one of the best countrys in the world
                  All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise, not from defects in their Constitution or Confederation, not from want of honor or virtue, so much as from the downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation. ~John Adams

                  Comment

                  • #84
                    Tintreach
                    Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 367

                    Originally posted by Cali-Shooter
                    Thank you, all you who are deployed and in service to the country.

                    Some questions, If I may, appreciate your answers!

                    -If someone from back home tries to send you ammunition, would the package go through? Or would the anti-shipping-to-other-countries law kick in regardless? If someone was concerned about the M855 round being too weak, could a concerned parent/relative send Black Hills Mk 262 OTM 5.56 to someone who is in Infantry and likely to see combat?

                    -I've always wondered, what kind of ammo do insurgents use? I know that they, being insurgents, use whatever they can get their hands on. Most of their stuff comes from the Black Market, I'm sure. Is it mostly Russian/Chinese ammo? Iranian? Egyptian? Is there a domestic Iraqi ammo manufacture that has supplies fall into insurgent hands? If anyone has seen/examined/handled, or knows anyone who has seen/examined/handled captured insurgent munitions, please let me know what it is! Also (this might sound stupid), has there ever been any Wolf ammo found in insurgent use anyone's heard of?

                    Insurgents use it all. They buy it everywhere. The world is just one giant weapons Bazar. Google VICTOR BOUT, this man is behind most of the weapons deals in the region and the Thai government let him go.

                    Personally I have seen AT, AP mines made in Iran (this was 2005) everybody knows it. Seen made in Syria arms, italian, russian, french; grenades, rockets, at/ap mines. Places like Iraq are an inventory of arms from over the past century. After the initial war 2003 happened the ammo/munitions dumps were unsecured, therefore people would just walk in and walk out with whatever, hide it, sell it, whatever.
                    All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise, not from defects in their Constitution or Confederation, not from want of honor or virtue, so much as from the downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation. ~John Adams

                    Comment

                    • #85
                      docsmileyface
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 1644

                      Originally posted by Tintreach
                      May be true, but very few. Remember you can't trust any of those guys. They sell intel that gets Americans killed.

                      My best experiences were with the Kurdish POB's (Police Order Brigades). Dunno what they call them now. The Kurds were awesome though.

                      They'd shoot people for putting us in danger, come in and kill all of the gang tribes warring in the streets, they hate most of the other Iraqis which makes them uncorruptible if you were an area they didn't inhabit. But even up north, they ran their towns and governments like King David out of the Old Testament. Eye for an eye. Only people in Iraq worth saving, besides the Christians. Which there are very, very few only a few hundred thousand if that. Those poor bastards have been getting slaughtered all of the middle east forever.
                      The Kurds are awesome. Doing missions up to Kurdistan and the Turkish border was probably the highlight of my entire tour. When we'd get there we'd lock our weapons and armor in our trucks and walk around the town in just ACU's and go to different shops and markets and restaurants. Peshmerga guys were a lot more disciplined and trustworthy then IA counterparts.
                      "Soldier, you need to turn your ACOG off before the batteries die." - PMI Instructor, subject matter expert

                      Comment

                      • #86
                        Tintreach
                        Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 367

                        Yep, I believe it. Wow, sounds like disneyland. lol

                        BTW docsmileyface your signature is great! Obviously someone didn't read FM 3-22.9. That's what happens when you get a pres who cuts defense spending. They stamp certs all over anyone in the right slot.
                        Last edited by Tintreach; 05-17-2010, 3:52 PM.
                        All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise, not from defects in their Constitution or Confederation, not from want of honor or virtue, so much as from the downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation. ~John Adams

                        Comment

                        • #87
                          KillZone45
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 2570

                          Just got done reading this thread front to back, very informative! I thank all who are defending this country and hope you all come back safely. I too am thinking of joining one of the branches when I finish college.
                          Nikita Khrushchev said"We can't expect the American People to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism. "

                          Comment

                          • #88
                            chaled
                            Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 480

                            What's the most common malfunction (if any) with your service rifles?

                            Comment

                            • #89
                              winnre
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 9214

                              Originally posted by chaled
                              What's the most common malfunction (if any) with your service rifles?
                              Magazines with dented lips.
                              "If Jesus had a gun he would be alive today"-Homer Simpson

                              Comment

                              • #90
                                ir0nclash86
                                Veteran Member
                                • May 2010
                                • 3609

                                For malfunctions I always got double feeds.

                                -3RD ID 3RD BDE, A 1-15

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1