Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ask a deployed soldier anything

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    thebloodsonthewall
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2007
    • 1143

    I deploy in about 6 weeks for the first time. I have spent a good amount of time away from my wife due to training so I have an idea of what to expect, sorta. My wife is 8 weeks pregnant and the expected due date is Christmas day. I will not be there for the birth and I may not get to be there for weeks or even a month or two after it is born, or worst case they make me take leave before the baby is born, but I don't think that will happen.

    We are going to a small COB in Iraq. We may be living a huge tent on cots with no personal space or wall lockers or anything for a year. There may or may not be showers but there is internet and a gym.

    I am worried that I will come home and everything will be different. There is going to be a kid or twins because my wife's family is prone to having twins and she is already showing at 6 weeks but the army wont do an ultrasound until 16 weeks. My wife has to go through most of the pregnancy in Hawaii with no family here and only a couple friends to help her. If she has twins she is going to be overwhelmed and even just having one is going to be hard for her.

    To the person that asked why some units go to Iraq and some to Afgan, I am in 2nd Brigade 25ID and we are going to Iraq because we are a Stryker Brigade Combat Team and Stykers are not good for mountains which is much of what is in Afgan from I have been told. So we are going to Iraq where I vehicles can be best utilized.

    Comment

    • #62
      The Director
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2008
      • 2769

      Cav, that's freaky, dude.

      Comment

      • #63
        The Director
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2008
        • 2769

        Ok next question. I ask this because of my Grandpa.

        He was 5 years in North Africa with the Italian Army. His unit fought along side the Afrika Korps (Rommel). He would always mention to me as an enlisted that when the heavy fighting broke out, the Officers were nowhere to be seen, and usually far in the rear.

        Do you all find that is still the case today?

        Comment

        • #64
          CavTrooper
          Calguns Addict
          • Jul 2007
          • 5944

          Originally posted by thebloodsonthewall
          I deploy in about 6 weeks for the first time. I have spent a good amount of time away from my wife due to training so I have an idea of what to expect, sorta. My wife is 8 weeks pregnant and the expected due date is Christmas day.
          Congrats on the baby big guy!

          I remember talking to you and letting you know its not all kittens and rainbows, but there are good times to be had.

          Make sure your finances are in order and send your wifey home to her family when you deploy or get someone to come out there to stay with her (shouldnt be too hard, you are in Hawaii!). Sometimes, its better for a spouse to stay around the base, where there are other families and friends who can relate to the situation and know what kind of support she will need. Civilians for the most part dont understand what she is going through and will be constantly putting negative thoughts into her head, that will make it harder and harder for her. Call as often as possible, email, skype, buy gifts and send them to her, just keep the connection there so she doesnt feel so alone. Proflowers and other internet stuff set up to deliver once or twice a month works wonders for her morale!

          Good luck! And again, Congrats on the young 'un!

          Comment

          • #65
            CavTrooper
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2007
            • 5944

            Originally posted by The Director
            Ok next question. I ask this because of my Grandpa.

            He was 5 years in North Africa with the Italian Army. His unit fought along side the Afrika Korps (Rommel). He would always mention to me as an enlisted that when the heavy fighting broke out, the Officers were nowhere to be seen, and usually far in the rear.

            Do you all find that is still the case today?
            Not at all.

            Every platoon leader and company commander I have had was a hard charging individual and would be the first to step into the fray. Lead from the front is the rule, and we would have to push the LTs back so us NCOs can do our jobs. Except for one, Ive always had Ranger/Infantry officers above me, so, they are always out front. Heck our battalion commander (LtCol) stayed outside the wire, constantly on patrol so that if and when anything happend, he could be there as quick as possible.
            Last edited by CavTrooper; 05-15-2010, 12:15 PM.

            Comment

            • #66
              The Director
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 2769

              Analyze this hypothetical situation:

              A twenty year veteran of the army, a Command Sergeant Major, is at a FOB. He is a 45 - a sage warrior, confidant and mentor to his men, and highly respected. At the same base arrives, a newly minted 2nd Lieutenant (24 years old).

              Describe their interactions candidly.

              Comment

              • #67
                CavTrooper
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2007
                • 5944

                Originally posted by The Director
                Analyze this hypothetical situation:

                A twenty year veteran of the army, a Command Sergeant Major, is at a FOB. He is a 45 - a sage warrior, confidant and mentor to his men, and highly respected. At the same base arrives, a newly minted 2nd Lieutenant (24 years old).

                Describe their interactions candidly.
                They wouldnt have alot of cause or reason to interact, if they did, the SGM would act professionally, render the proper respect to the 2LTs rank and set the right example to the rest of the men.

                If the LT got out of hand or didnt understand his place, the SGM would just defer to his commisioned counterpart and let him sort it out.

                Comment

                • #68
                  The Director
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2008
                  • 2769

                  Originally posted by CavTrooper
                  They wouldnt have alot of cause or reason to interact, if they did, the SGM would act professionally, render the proper respect to the 2LTs rank and set the right example to the rest of the men.

                  If the LT got out of hand or didnt understand his place, the SGM would just defer to his commisioned counterpart and let him sort it out.
                  How often have you seen young officers "get out of hand"?

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    CavTrooper
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jul 2007
                    • 5944

                    Originally posted by The Director
                    How often have you seen young officers "get out of hand"?
                    Once.

                    Watched a Captian walk across the parade field and punch his wife straight in the face without saying a word. He calmly submitted to the MPs and I never saw him again. Rumor has it, she was a bad, bad woman.

                    Ive seen a few LTs be reassigned and heard the rumors as to why, but never personally witness an LT get stupid with anyone who outranks them.

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      The Director
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2008
                      • 2769

                      I guess the point I'm trying to get at is this;

                      The military's system of NCOs and Officers is unlike any system in any private organization. I just struggle with the concept that an E9, who is most likely superior to any twenty something officer in almost every way, from experience, to wisdom, to maturity, should be subordinate to said officer in any way, shape or form.

                      Why should an experienced combat veteran be subordinate to some kid who just got out of Officer training.....even if he is only nominally superior?

                      I come from the martial arts world and after achieving 2nd degree black belt (probably the equivalent of an LTC in military rank), I can tell you that we view someone of inferior rank to have very little, if anything to contribute to anyone's edification. It's solely ability based.

                      So in our view, a young 2nd LT wouldn't have more knowledge, experience, or ability than the older E9....why is he in a position above him?

                      This military concept has always baffled me.

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        CavTrooper
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jul 2007
                        • 5944

                        Originally posted by The Director
                        I guess the point I'm trying to get at is this;

                        The military's system of NCOs and Officers is unlike any system in any private organization. I just struggle with the concept that an E9, who is most likely superior to any twenty something officer in almost every way, from experience, to wisdom, to maturity, should be subordinate to said officer in any way, shape or form.

                        Why should an experienced combat veteran be subordinate to some kid who just got out of Officer training.....even if he is only nominally superior?

                        I come from the martial arts world and after achieving 2nd degree black belt (probably the equivalent of an LTC in military rank), I can tell you that we view someone of inferior rank to have very little, if anything to contribute to anyone's edification. It's solely ability based.

                        So in our view, a young 2nd LT wouldn't have more knowledge, experience, or ability than the older E9....why is he in a position above him?

                        This military concept has always baffled me.
                        If that tweaks your brain, consider this:

                        Officers recieve thier authority through a commision from congress based on their education and training, most new officers generally have a bachelors degree. Most seniors NCOs and some not so senior have masters degrees or higher with little to no interest in ever being an officer.

                        Its amazing to me that someone in the civilian world actually has an idea what an NCO is and what we do, most civilians do not understand the role that NCOs play in the Military and how that experience translates into the civilian work place.

                        Good stuff, thank you.

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          The Director
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2008
                          • 2769

                          Originally posted by CavTrooper
                          If that tweaks your brain, consider this:

                          Its amazing to me that someone in the civilian world actually has an idea what an NCO is and what we do, most civilians do not understand the role that NCOs play in the Military and how that experience translates into the civilian work place.

                          Good stuff, thank you.

                          Well I guess I've been a longtime student of all things military. I went to an orientation last weekend for the CSMR. There was a Captain there who was observing. He pulled me aside and said "How is it you know all the ranks and protocol?" He said this because I could discern the rank devices on the ACUs and was addressing the NCOs by their proper rank, and the Officers as "sir" or their respective ranks.

                          Basically, I just studied it! No mystery, however, I do have a big appreciation for the military and it's customs, hence the purpose of this thread - to learn more.

                          I've read dozens of Army field manuals that fail to convey the minute nuances that have been easily explained in this thread!

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            Striker87
                            Member
                            • Apr 2008
                            • 150

                            Originally posted by The Director
                            I guess the point I'm trying to get at is this;

                            The military's system of NCOs and Officers is unlike any system in any private organization. I just struggle with the concept that an E9, who is most likely superior to any twenty something officer in almost every way, from experience, to wisdom, to maturity, should be subordinate to said officer in any way, shape or form.

                            Why should an experienced combat veteran be subordinate to some kid who just got out of Officer training.....even if he is only nominally superior?

                            I come from the martial arts world and after achieving 2nd degree black belt (probably the equivalent of an LTC in military rank), I can tell you that we view someone of inferior rank to have very little, if anything to contribute to anyone's edification. It's solely ability based.

                            So in our view, a young 2nd LT wouldn't have more knowledge, experience, or ability than the older E9....why is he in a position above him?

                            This military concept has always baffled me.

                            From my observation from the Air Force and from what I've seen with the army, the newer officers generally know that they are in charge, but do listen to the Senior NCOs. Listening and learning is a different story though. I've seen quite a few relationships between junior officers and SNCOs and they were generally pretty good, behind closed doors may be a different story though.

                            Also, from an Air Force perspective, I know plenty of people who would rather be outranked and be an enlisted person rather than an officer. When I was in, I loved the brotherhood of the enlisted ranks in general, getting dirty, partying hard, and just being an airman. I can't say for sure, but I know the officer side isn't like the enlisted side; the enlisted are more closer and look out after each other more. For me, it was the idea of doing work too, and just not pushing papers on the desk. The army officers are a different story though.
                            Last edited by Striker87; 05-15-2010, 9:10 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              JJKESSEL
                              Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 192

                              Originally posted by Striker87
                              From my observation from the Air Force and from what I've seen with the army, the newer officers generally know that they are in charge, but do listen to the Senior NCOs. Listening and learning is a different story though. I've seen quite a few relationships between junior officers and SNCOs and they were generally pretty good, behind closed doors may be a different story though.

                              Also, from an Air Force perspective, I know plenty of people who would rather be outranked and be an enlisted person rather than an officer. When I was in, I loved the brotherhood of the enlisted ranks in general, getting dirty, partying hard, and just being an airman. I can't say for sure, but I know the officer side isn't like the enlisted side; the enlisted are more closer and look out after each other more. For me, it was the idea of doing work too, and just not pushing papers on the desk. The army officers are a different story though.

                              What's the different story with the Army officers? If you may.
                              Build AR-15 (My version of a M4)
                              Glock 23 (CA Due date.. 3/2/12)
                              Moss 590
                              Next... Remington 700?

                              "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -Thomas Jefferson

                              ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                haiedras
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 556

                                Originally posted by The Director
                                I guess the point I'm trying to get at is this;

                                "edited out for brevity"

                                So in our view, a young 2nd LT wouldn't have more knowledge, experience, or ability than the older E9....why is he in a position above him?

                                This military concept has always baffled me.
                                Because at the end of the day, the buck stops with the officer. In the officer's oath of commissioning, it talks about the privileges and responsibilities of the officer ranks. Officers are ultimately responsible for the care and performance of the troops under their command. If something or someone was screwed up in my unit, I was the one held responsible, even if it was something that I felt was beyond my control. Now I know there are more than enough examples of that NOT happening, but that's how I understood how the system worked.

                                It is true, a college degree doesn't automatically grant magic leadership powers, and out of every graduating class, you have guys that get it, and guys that don't.

                                One piece of advice I remember from officer training was to pay attention to your SNCO once you got to the fleet. The relationship is very much a mentoring one of sorts. As a boot butter bar, you get to go to all the staff meetings, tell your platoon what to do and all that jazz, but you better not do it without closely coordinating with your platoon sergeant, because he should have a wealth of experience to guide you in your decision-making process.

                                And to concur with Cavtrooper, it would be HIGHLY unlikely that 2ndLt would have regular interaction with a SgtMaj. Most junior officer - SNCO interaction would be at the E-6/E-7 level. But I can say from personal experience that if an officer was being a screwball, you'd still get corrected...it'd just be with a "sir" at the end. And generally behind closed doors.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1