Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Chainsaws

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Duck Killer
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 2525

    Chainsaws

    What are you guys using? I do a majority of my cutting now with a dewalt 20v 12” saw. I love that it uses the 20v batteries and always works. Plus it is quiet. So no one knows that I am cutting wood.

    Has anyone used the larger electric battery powered saws? How well do they work? Do the batteries last long?
  • #2
    G-forceJunkie
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2010
    • 6484

    They can have my Stihl 028 and 038 MAG when they pry them from my cold dead hands. Never going to bother with batteries.

    Comment

    • #3
      Neuvik
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Jan 2010
      • 1581

      I have a Stihl 450 with rollomatic 26 inch bar for bucking
      Stihl top handle for climbing
      Stihl 1600 with Tsumura 38" bar for large felling.
      and I got a Milwaukee electric chainsaw but I havnt used it much, it leaks bar oil just sitting.

      Comment

      • #4
        Duck Killer
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 2525

        Yeah the dewalts leak bar oil too.

        Comment

        • #5
          Sanderhawk
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 1216

          Stihl Farm Boss...No batteries for me

          Comment

          • #6
            TrappedinCalifornia
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2018
            • 10414

            If quietness is the game and you want to cut stuff with a named 'chainsaw,' this one has proven good for my use.

            813ZyqLP7qL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

            It is available in 25.6" and 33". It weighs less than most chainsaws. Most importantly, it doesn't violate California's prohibition on the sale of new, gas-powered chainsaws. I mean, we're told it's 'almost the same' as a nasty, gas-powered version...



            Yes. I own two of them as they make a more credible 'wire saw' alternative than most of the 'emergency wire saws' out there. They do work for what I intended them to work on and that was as a packable saw for larger cutting chores when stomping around the back of beyond. YMMV however.

            At the time of this posting, it is available on Amazon for $39.99 in the 25.6" version and $55.99 in the 33".
            Last edited by TrappedinCalifornia; 10-03-2026, 6:04 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              Duck Killer
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2010
              • 2525

              Originally posted by TrappedinCalifornia
              If quietness is the game and you want to cut stuff with a named 'chainsaw,' this one has proven good for my use.

              813ZyqLP7qL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

              It is available in 25.6" and 33". It weighs less than most chainsaws. Most importantly, it doesn't violate California's prohibition on the sale of new, gas-powered chainsaws. I mean, we're told it's 'almost the same' as a nasty, gas-powered version...



              Yes. I own two of them as they make a more credible 'wire saw' alternative than most of the 'emergency wire saws' out there. They do work for what I intended them to work on and that was as a packable saw for larger cutting chores when stomping around the back of beyond. YMMV however.

              At the time of this posting, it is available on Amazon for $39.99 in the 25.6" version and $55.99 in the 33".
              Well that is going to be one hell of a workout. I have seen these before. Most are crap. This one looks pretty good. One trick is you don’t have to cut every log to size if you are just using a camp fire. We would only cut logs to a weight to be able to carry them. Then use the fire to burn them in half.

              Comment

              • #8
                TrappedinCalifornia
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2018
                • 10414

                Originally posted by Duck Killer

                Well that is going to be one hell of a workout. I have seen these before. Most are crap. This one looks pretty good. One trick is you don’t have to cut every log to size if you are just using a camp fire. We would only cut logs to a weight to be able to carry them. Then use the fire to burn them in half.
                Most are hunks of junk. The Nordic, however, is ranked fairly highly among the type. According to bobvila.com...

                Nordic’s 25.6-inch pocket chainsaw is short but mighty, sporting 33 teeth that cut in both directions. This made for quick cutting. During testing, we rapidly tore through a 2×4, then moved to the woods where we used it to chew through 5 and 7-inch-thick branches and logs. It removed large chunks of wood with each pull and slides through wood easily. The only time we got stuck was when cutting larger limbs that would pinch the chain under the weight of the log. We were even able to cut through a thicker 9-inch downed limb in under a minute. The large straps are comfortable to grip or wear around the wrist, allowing you to generate more power with your pulls. Our only complaint is that its short length forces you to crouch to cut logs on the ground.

                The Nordic pock chainsaw is also very light and compact. It weighs just 4.6 ounces and fits in a small carrying case, so you can easily tote it along on a backpacking or mountain biking excursion.

                While the Nordic pocket saw is pricey for its size compared to other pocket chainsaws, it’s worth splurging on thanks to its excellent performance. It’s a great all-around pocket chainsaw for backwoods excursions of all kinds.
                It does take a little practice in learning to use it correctly. But, as I said, it allows for larger cutting tasks than, say, a Bahco Laplander. The key is in not relying on your arms, but in turning your torso and in 'bracing' the cut portion, if it's possible, so it won't pinch.





                If you get the 33", it can be used as a 'two-man' saw. I haven't tried that since I do single excursions.

                You'll also want to take a small sharpener and a small can of oil with you.

                You won't be loading up a logging truck using this. But, for emergency shelter building and campfires, as I said, it's worked for me.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Duck Killer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2010
                  • 2525

                  Originally posted by TrappedinCalifornia

                  Most are hunks of junk. The Nordic, however, is ranked fairly highly among the type. According to bobvila.com...



                  It does take a little practice in learning to use it correctly. But, as I said, it allows for larger cutting tasks than, say, a Bahco Laplander. The key is in not relying on your arms, but in turning your torso and in 'bracing' the cut portion, if it's possible, so it won't pinch.





                  If you get the 33", it can be used as a 'two-man' saw. I haven't tried that since I do single excursions.

                  You'll also want to take a small sharpener and a small can of oil with you.

                  You won't be loading up a logging truck using this. But, for emergency shelter building and campfires, as I said, it's worked for me.
                  For emergencies I don’t think you can beat it. Especially for the weight.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    TAS
                    Probationary Member
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 1279

                    If I have big job, I’ll use my Stihl but for 90% or more of what I need to do, I’ll use my Dewalt. I don’t cut firewood for heating so most of my need is on the lighter side and yard cleanup. I don’t know how well the bigger battery saws work but I’d probably just go to the Stihl.

                    And yes, my Dewalt does leak bar oil, too.
                    NRA Life Member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Duck Killer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2010
                      • 2525

                      Originally posted by TAS
                      If I have big job, I’ll use my Stihl but for 90% or more of what I need to do, I’ll use my Dewalt. I don’t cut firewood for heating so most of my need is on the lighter side and yard cleanup. I don’t know how well the bigger battery saws work but I’d probably just go to the Stihl.

                      And yes, my Dewalt does leak bar oil, too.

                      The dewalt 20v saw works great. I have burned up one saw. But that was 10 plus cords worth of wood.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        WOODY2
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2015
                        • 1622

                        I have Stihl's and an Milwaukee 16" battery unit. The Milwaukee is far heavier than a comparable Stihl but the convenience is nice in some uses. Having the choice is nice.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Duck Killer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2010
                          • 2525

                          Originally posted by WOODY2
                          I have Stihl's and a Milwaukee 16" battery unit. The Milwaukee is far heavier than a comparable Stihl but the convenience is nice in some uses. Having the choice is nice.
                          How is battery life on the Stihl? How well does it cut?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            WOODY2
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2015
                            • 1622

                            Sorry for not being clear my Stihl's are gas powered. 😎

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Fjold
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 23067

                              I have a little electric pole chainsaw (8") on an extendable shaft that is great for trimming branches but that's all I use it for. A 20" Stihl Rancher that works for me.

                              Sunday's project: 60' black locust that was half hollow and would just reach the new building in the background if it fell. We're about to add a new greenhouse to the left of this photo so the tree had to come down.


                              The stump is 5' tall since the base of the tree was around 60" at the base.
                              Frank

                              One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




                              Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1