Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Serrations...why?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    11HE9
    Senior Member
    • May 2011
    • 771

    I carry two knives, one plain blade and one (smaller) combo blade. I really do not like the combo blades, but I do understand their purpose.

    Comment

    • #17
      hermosabeach
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Feb 2009
      • 19836

      Cutting requires pressure and movement.

      You can grab a blade and have someone shake the handle a lot without getting cut

      You hand moved with the blade.


      Pull the handle away and now the blade can cut as you have pressure and movement.



      Serrations act as movement as when pressure goes down, the points make the object move in two directions. One on already side of each serration tooth



      Serrations are VERY difficult to home sharpen.


      Many of the better companies will re sharpen your knife for a nominal fee
      $5 + shipping



      For a slick surface, serration is great (tomatoes as example)
      For a soft surface where pressure will crush the object, serrations are great (bread)


      For tough items- rope- seat belts- serrations are great.
      Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

      Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

      Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

      Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
      (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

      Comment

      • #18
        BayAreaShooter
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2010
        • 5054

        Originally posted by hermosabeach
        Cutting requires pressure and movement.

        You can grab a blade and have someone shake the handle a lot without getting cut

        You hand moved with the blade.


        Pull the handle away and now the blade can cut as you have pressure and movement.



        Serrations act as movement as when pressure goes down, the points make the object move in two directions. One on already side of each serration tooth



        Serrations are VERY difficult to home sharpen.


        Many of the better companies will re sharpen your knife for a nominal fee
        $5 + shipping



        For a slick surface, serration is great (tomatoes as example)
        For a soft surface where pressure will crush the object, serrations are great (bread)


        For tough items- rope- seat belts- serrations are great.

        I wouldn't agree with the statement in bold. Your right if your knife is not very sharp, but I could easily cut my hand with any Spyderco from vertical pressure alone. Not substantial vertical pressure either. Saying you could grab a blade and have someone "shake the handle a lot" without being cut is just crazy.

        I would also not say serrations are "VERY" hard to sharpen at home. All you need is the proper setup with a triangular or round stone/sharpener. Quite easy once you do it a few times.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #19
          MrSam
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2014
          • 1091

          To cut branches, wire, etc. I used full blade knives now (no serrations). I've found that a "half" serrated knife is inadequate, and renders the plain edge useless as well.

          Comment

          • #20
            NastyNate
            Senior Member
            • May 2012
            • 1697

            I use my serrations to cut branches when hanging a game cam, to prevent wind pics.

            NastyNate
            -NN

            Comment

            • #21
              SimonBirch
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2013
              • 1124

              if u have a good top quality blade, u don't need no stinken serrations!

              Comment

              • #22
                CSACANNONEER
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Dec 2006
                • 44094

                All cutting edges are serrated. Some serrations are just bigger than others. Just look at any cutting edge under a microscope.
                NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                Utah CCW Instructor


                Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                sigpic
                CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                KM6WLV

                Comment

                • #23
                  wolfy
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 983

                  I like the ease of sharpening a plain blade with sharpening stone. I need a plain blade to skin wire and cut rope cleanly.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    bsg
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 25954

                    for most applications, i prefer a knife that is not profusely serrated.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      GW
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • May 2004
                      • 16078

                      I use the serrations for cutting rope and fibrous material.
                      sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Blademan21
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • 1941

                        Originally posted by JayJ85
                        I don't have a ccw permit and work in Oakland so a blade is better than nothing and at work I cut cardboard and heavy bags of dextrose and citric acid. Which brings up another question, won't citric acid eat away even the best stainless steel over time? I need to change the blade in the b.s utility knives they give us about twice a month.


                        You would have to soak the blade for a long time in citric acid for it to eat away the stainless steel found in most good blades.

                        Cardboard is the worse thing you can cut with a non-box cutting blade. It will dull the non-box cutter in a heart beat. Thats why you need to change the blades in your utility knife often. Serrations are just a tiny step above the utility blade for cutting cardboard. Not cutting cardboard,serrations can rock. My 2 cents.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Nor Cal Scot
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2011
                          • 1349

                          Originally posted by SimonBirch
                          if u have a good top quality blade, u don't need no stinken serrations!
                          Utter BS.
                          Veteran Owned and Operated Coffee Roaster in Nor Cal
                          http://www.roadroastercoffee.com

                          One time, 20% Off Entire Order Coupon- use code calguns

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            19hugeracks57
                            Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 273

                            at work i carry a kershaw seratted for cutting everything,from insulation ,rope ,ceiling tiles and anything it will cut .to sharpen i use my SPYDERCO sharpening kit....HUNTING myself and my hunting partner (for40 years) use everything from serrated to plain blades for skinning and gutting because every animal is different,hogs,elk,and deer are all differnet meats .
                            find a knife that u like and carry it,backpack(for hunting )a varity of knives . we use everything from spyderco,chicago culery,to the $2.50 knife u find at garage sales and swapmeets

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              MongooseV8
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 4426

                              I use the serrations on my knives to cut copper wires and rope, and my finger every now and then.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                tomah
                                Member
                                • Apr 2008
                                • 112

                                heres a quote from an Ernie Emerson article...

                                "One last word on blades. Always, repeat always, get a serrated blade. They always cut, even when dull and they blow through a seat belt like something vulgar through a goose."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1