Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Knife laws?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • beastmode986
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2013
    • 54

    Knife laws?

    Are the knife laws here as bad as the gun laws?
    Does anyone have any knowledge on the knife laws? I am looking to purchase a Kershaw oso sweet or Kershaw chillI am gong to be living in the Santa Clarita area and my dad is going to be working near Burbank, Pasadena and the surrounding areas. I googled it but found about assisted opening knives or blade length restrictions.
  • #2
    thospb
    Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 224

    Blade length is what counts. I carry a knife everywhere. Autos are legal under 2". All folders the limit is usually 3 1/8". Longer than that must be in a sheath, on your belt, not covered by a shirt or jacket. Some municipalities may have more stringent regs. One big difference in CA, an illegal knife is a felony! A concealed firearm w/o permit is a misdemeanor. A bit of racist legislation that goes back to the days of cowboys and vaqueros.

    Comment

    • #3
      OneFunGuy
      Member
      • Jul 2010
      • 480

      I don't know where you are from, but you have now fallen down the rabbit hole.
      A place called California, where up is down and down is up.

      I would loose the idea of carrying a knife. If you feel threatened, then don't
      go to those places. Learn to box or martial arts. Nearly everything you can
      think of is illegal in this state.

      When I was young, I saw a lot of guys beaten for being in the wrong
      bar and flashing a knife.

      But we do have some awesome women here, and sand and snow, blah, blah, blah.

      Welcome to California.
      I am not an attorney, but sure, go ahead.

      Earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs, but not every mans greed.

      Comment

      • #4
        Librarian
        Admin and Poltergeist
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 44691

        See the blade forum sticky, or the link to the same content below in my signature.

        Length ordinarily matters only on school grounds, but local laws may be different.
        ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

        Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

        Comment

        • #5
          Paladin
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Dec 2005
          • 12411

          EVERYONE who reads this thread should know about www.kniferights.org

          Think of them as the NRA of knife rights....
          240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

          Comment

          • #6
            sigstroker
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2009
            • 19903

            More laws that are ridiculous. You can't even have this little knife that's popular for Altoid tin survival kits:


            Comment

            • #7
              boromokot
              Junior Member
              • Feb 2013
              • 79

              Originally posted by Paladin
              EVERYONE who reads this thread should know about www.kniferights.org

              Think of them as the NRA of knife rights....
              +1
              helpful site, just make sure to double check your local laws. I commonly walk around with a large fixed blade hanging from my hip with no issue and i live in SF. had a cop or two glance at it but never more than that

              Comment

              • #8
                golfish
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Mar 2013
                • 10127

                Don't you guys ever watch SOA ..ROTFLMAO

                I carry a knife all the time for work, riding, fishing and shooting.I always carry a fixed blade.
                It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
                Happiness is a warm gun.

                MLC, First 3

                Comment

                • #9
                  jeffsenpai
                  Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 400

                  For state law,

                  Folding knife of ANY length can be carried open or concealed.

                  Fixed blade knives of ANY length can be carried openly (ie on the belt) only.

                  Autos under 2'' are legal.

                  Check your local laws, they are what matter the most.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    beastmode986
                    Junior Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • 54

                    Originally posted by OneFunGuy
                    I don't know where you are from, but you have now fallen down the rabbit hole.
                    A place called California, where up is down and down is up.

                    I would loose the idea of carrying a knife. If you feel threatened, then don't
                    go to those places. Learn to box or martial arts. Nearly everything you can
                    think of is illegal in this state.

                    When I was young, I saw a lot of guys beaten for being in the wrong
                    bar and flashing a knife.

                    But we do have some awesome women here, and sand and snow, blah, blah, blah.

                    Welcome to California.
                    I wouldn't be carrying it for self defense, just for utility purposes

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      beastmode986
                      Junior Member
                      • Jun 2013
                      • 54

                      Originally posted by jeffsenpai
                      For state law,

                      Folding knife of ANY length can be carried open or concealed.

                      Fixed blade knives of ANY length can be carried openly (ie on the belt) only.

                      Autos under 2'' are legal.

                      Check your local laws, they are what matter the most.
                      Is a spring assist knife(Like whats on the kershaws I listed) the same as an auto?

                      EDIT: Just looked up the knife laws in Santa Clarita, did I read this right?

                      ''Chapter 11.62 Carrying Knives in Plain View By Minors
                      Section, 11.62.010 Knives & Daggers Defined
                      As used in this chapter, the terms "knives & daggers" shall include any knife having a blade of 3 inches or more in length; any spring blade, switchblade or snap blade knife; any knife any blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device; any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool; any straight-edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.

                      Section 11.62.020 Carrying Knives & Daggers in Plain View Prohibited
                      It is unlawful for any minor to carry on his or person, in plain view, any knife or dagger.

                      Section 11.62.030 Exemptions to Chapter Applicability
                      The foregoing restrictions shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment for use in a lawful occupation or for the purpose of lawful recreation, or where the carrying of a knife or dagger is a recognized religious practice.''

                      So this means I cannot carry a knife with a blade longer than 3 inches because I am a minor? This also means I cannot carry a ''Spring assist'' knife?
                      Its weird though, I only found this in a YouTube video description talking about knife laws in Santa Clarita, nowhere else.
                      Last edited by beastmode986; 09-22-2013, 11:32 AM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        chad allred
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 877

                        I had an officer in LA tell me a knife with a 3" blade was legal.

                        I also had a relative arrested/cited for carrying a Kershaw "chive" as a switchblade. it has a 2.5" blade and is assisted...not a switchblade.
                        The case was thrown out but the attorney cost real money.
                        I have since sold off all my assisted knives.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          NapalmCheese
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 5958

                          heh, saw a guy walking around the local range carrying a Ka-Bar on his belt. Legal, but not something I would consider useful. I guess if someone was going to choose who to rob it wouldn't be the guy carrying 7 inches of 1095 steel; unless the robber had a gun...

                          In general I've never had a problem with the cops and any knife I happened to have on me, but I only carry knives I think will be useful in day to day life, the biggest is actually the most mundane, an Opinel #8.

                          If it's self defense you're worried about, I'd rather have a big stick than a little pocket knife.
                          Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Librarian
                            Admin and Poltergeist
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 44691

                            Originally posted by beastmode986
                            Is a spring assist knife(Like whats on the kershaws I listed) the same as an auto?

                            EDIT: Just looked up the knife laws in Santa Clarita, did I read this right?

                            ''Chapter 11.62 Carrying Knives in Plain View By Minors
                            Section, 11.62.010 Knives & Daggers Defined
                            As used in this chapter, the terms "knives & daggers" shall include
                            any knife having a blade of 3 inches or more in length;
                            any spring blade, switchblade or snap blade knife;
                            any knife any blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device;
                            any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool;
                            any straight-edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.

                            Section 11.62.020 Carrying Knives & Daggers in Plain View Prohibited
                            It is unlawful for any minor to carry on his or person, in plain view, any knife or dagger.

                            Section 11.62.030 Exemptions to Chapter Applicability
                            The foregoing restrictions shall not be deemed to prohibit the
                            carrying of ordinary tools or equipment for use in a lawful occupation or
                            for the purpose of lawful recreation, or
                            where the carrying of a knife or dagger is a recognized religious practice.''

                            1) So this means I cannot carry a knife with a blade longer than 3 inches because I am a minor?

                            2) This also means I cannot carry a ''Spring assist'' knife?


                            Its weird though, I only found this in a YouTube video description talking about knife laws in Santa Clarita, nowhere else.
                            Have to learn how to find municipal codes. In this case, here.

                            1) Yes, that's exactly what that means, for 'in plain view'; does not mention a folder in your pocket, and it is not clear whether a clip on the outside of your pocket is 'in plain view'.

                            2) They do not define 'spring blade'; hard to be sure.
                            Last edited by Librarian; 09-22-2013, 5:03 PM.
                            ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                            Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              JDay
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19393

                              Originally posted by thospb
                              Blade length is what counts. I carry a knife everywhere. Autos are legal under 2". All folders the limit is usually 3 1/8". Longer than that must be in a sheath, on your belt, not covered by a shirt or jacket. Some municipalities may have more stringent regs. One big difference in CA, an illegal knife is a felony! A concealed firearm w/o permit is a misdemeanor. A bit of racist legislation that goes back to the days of cowboys and vaqueros.
                              There is no max blade length in CA. Some localities (mainly LA) have a max length but state law doesn't. I'm also 99% positive that all auto knives are classified as switchblade, I.e. A felony.

                              Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4
                              Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                              The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1