Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Picked this up for $100

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    junior40er
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2013
    • 3315

    wow...looks rough. I hope you can fix it. I bought mine for $300 but very clean shape and I love it.
    Visit my Channel "Steel On Target" on YouTube and subscribe. I post gun videos reg regularly.

    Comment

    • #32
      Twistedsteel
      Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 310

      Originally posted by kcstott
      Idiot owner
      This ^^
      "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you get with a kind word alone" Al Capone

      Comment

      • #33
        ojisan
        Agent 86
        CGN Contributor
        • Apr 2008
        • 11781

        Try a 0000 steel wool rub-down first with some light oil as lube.
        You may be able to get most or all of that off in just a few minutes.
        Go easy on the scrubbing pressure.

        You can also get a used grip frame if the original is too messed up.

        Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
        I don't really care, I just like to argue.

        Comment

        • #34
          Dano3467
          Calguns Addict
          • Mar 2013
          • 7381

          Was frog lube used Jk...that thing is a mess.

          Try ojison tip ! first.

          Comment

          • #35
            Twistedsteel
            Member
            • Apr 2009
            • 310

            Ok ever since I was a little kid I always had to take everything apart, I just couldn't help myself everything but the firing pin. I might try it later, but from what I've read it's a real PIA. It seems to be fine anyway. Came apart very easy, and it is rusty inside but it's all light surface. Probably gonna replace all the springs. So no one around here carries kroil, so I bought a couple cans of PB blaster, emptied them onto parts and then filled the rest with some diesel. Gonna let that sit for a couple days or soo then hit it with a brush or steel wool.

            "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you get with a kind word alone" Al Capone

            Comment

            • #36
              Clipity
              Member
              • Apr 2010
              • 344

              Originally posted by Epaphroditus
              Situational awareness is not part of common core.

              Comment

              • #37
                duckman1
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Aug 2009
                • 3780

                Is the barrel pitted?

                Comment

                • #38
                  mycrstuff
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 1427

                  Evap-O-rust will take off all the rust and the blue. It won't be as smooth as using a blast media but for $20 you can see what is left of the gun. All that will be left is bare metal.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    justMike
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 796

                    Wouldn't hurt to try soda blasting the pieces. A fellow I know uses that on the aluminum and pot metal of auto carburetors and the clean up well and look great. Blasting soda is a version of baking soda so not much risk with it IMO.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Keith4him
                      Member
                      • Oct 2013
                      • 393

                      Follow

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Swagman00
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • 4149

                        I love this stuff. Toss all parts in and let it sit for a few days. It won't remove the bluing.

                        Anyway...here's a dearth of reasoning to ponder: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Guns

                        Originally posted by movie zombie
                        and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          nalcomis
                          Member
                          • Oct 2008
                          • 113

                          Originally posted by Spyguy
                          A great way to remove rust is to completely submerge the parts in a saturated solution of vinegar and salt. (Saturated means you have mixed so much salt into the vinegar that no more will dissolve, even after vigorous stirring. You will see some salt crystals at the bottom of the solution.)

                          Completely disassemble the item before soaking and only soak the rusted steel parts. Be patient, as the rust removal process will take time: days if not weeks. But the rust will eventually disappear leaving clean metal. There will be pitting in the metal surface, but this is not from the vinegar/salt; it's from the rust that was eating into the metal before.

                          NOTE: THIS PROCESS WILL REMOVE ANY AND ALL BLUING OR PARKERIZING.

                          Awesome! Thank you for sharing!

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Twistedsteel
                            Member
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 310

                            Ok been real busy so this thing has been soaking this whole time. I started with a nylon brush and wasn't really getting anywhere. So I bought a brass brush and now I'm seeing results. It's goin a little slow still, and I'm not sure yet if it's gonna come out like I was thinking. I still might do the electolysis on it. I've read that it will probably remove bluing though. And honestly there is a lot of bluing especially on the barrel and grip frame that is gone already. So most likely will be doing a complete refinish anyway. No pics today, but I'll snap a few when I'm done brushing, before I start electolysis if I decide to go that route.
                            "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you get with a kind word alone" Al Capone

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              Tripper
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 7628

                              Picked this up for $100

                              Not sure diesel will do any good, order some kroil. They ship fast, and it won't go to waste. Yes post some new pics. Mayb get it cerakoted when your all done and the bluing won't matter
                              Last edited by Tripper; 02-08-2015, 6:55 PM.
                              WTB NAA Belt Buckle
                              MILITARY STRETCHER/RADIATION DETECTION KIT

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                xsefan
                                Senior Member
                                • Jun 2013
                                • 1931

                                Go with electrolysis. It will reduce the pitting.
                                Look up ugly 870 build on you tube.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1