Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Picked this up for $100

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    xfer42
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Sep 2007
    • 709

    Ive got one of those. It tends to shoot better dirty than clean. When its clean, the base pin like to bump out every 1 or 2 shots.

    Comment

    • #17
      Snagglepuss
      Member
      • Dec 2013
      • 407

      Use a brass brush, some wd40, solvent, lube, preservative.

      And of course, tender loving care while scrubbing with that brush.

      Comment

      • #18
        TKM
        Onward through the fog!
        CGN Contributor
        • Jul 2002
        • 10657

        Bead blast and hit it with the new Gun Blue Duracoat.
        It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

        Comment

        • #19
          Killer Bee
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2010
          • 2199

          send it to Ruger.. bet they'll replace anything broken and refinish it as best they can.. probably all for free if you ask nicely..
          I started out with nothing - and I still have most of it

          Comment

          • #20
            golfish
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Mar 2013
            • 10124

            Originally posted by Spyguy
            A great way to remove rust is to completely submerge the parts in a saturated solution of vinegar and salt. (Saturated means you have mixed so much salt into the vinegar that no more will dissolve, even after vigorous stirring. You will see some salt crystals at the bottom of the solution.)

            .
            I've done this with old Harley gas tanks, it works very well...

            Originally posted by Killer Bee
            send it to Ruger.. bet they'll replace anything broken and refinish it as best they can.. probably all for free if you ask nicely..
            All they can do it say no. This is a great suggestion..
            It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
            Happiness is a warm gun.

            MLC, First 3

            Comment

            • #21
              LONGRANGER777
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2013
              • 581

              Pull off the grips , put it in a big ziploc and soak it with CLP. After a few days wipe down and do it again in clean ziploc. After a week or so alot of that rust will be gone. I would only use nylon brushes if needed.

              Comment

              • #22
                M1NM
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2011
                • 7966

                Originally posted by 6mmintl
                bead blast and dip blue
                Got your $100 dollar one beat. A guy I worked with gave me a free one with a split cylinder. Sent it off to Ruger and they fixed it for free. The bluing was worn on the backstrap but otherwise ok.
                I'd soak yours in Kroil take it all apart bead blast everything and paint it with cerecoat or if you're on a budget header paint. Replace any of the springs that have rust on them.

                Comment

                • #23
                  bandook
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 1220

                  Originally posted by Killer Bee
                  send it to Ruger.. bet they'll replace anything broken and refinish it as best they can.. probably all for free if you ask nicely..

                  This...
                  You should send it to them either way for service. Paid or not, your hand is probably worth more than what they'll charge to make sure it's up to snuff.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Killer Bee
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 2199

                    looks like a new model to me, I only see two screw tips on the left side, so no worry's about them changing anything..

                    Twistedsteel, check the s/n here and let us know what year it is please..
                    Instruction Manuals & Product History
                    click on the revolver tab 'show all' and it will drop down all the models..
                    I suspect you'll find your s/n under the 'new model super blackhawk' tab..

                    I was talking to the customer servicer manager in a few years ago about refinishing a super single six of mine [old model]..
                    she said they would have to install the transfer bar if they took it in but she would have it refinished at no charge.. reason I suggested it..

                    she was very pleasant and while we were talking, she mentioned snow sledding at Bill's house when she was a little girl..
                    how cool is that?! now, this was a few years ago so I don't know if the same gal is in that position..

                    I would give them a call before I do anything to the gun and see what they say..

                    good luck with it and please update with yom and pictures when finished..
                    I started out with nothing - and I still have most of it

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Twistedsteel
                      Member
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 310

                      I never thought of sending it off to Ruger, thanks for the suggestion I'll have to give them a call. This is the "New Model"
                      "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you get with a kind word alone" Al Capone

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        M1NM
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 7966

                        If they deem it unsafe they will not return it. They'll give you $ toward another one.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57179

                          Originally posted by Twistedsteel
                          That's not bad.
                          penetrating oil to get everything moving and take it all apart.
                          Electrolysis to get rid of the rust.
                          Blast and parkerize and it will look like this:





                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Mtnmanca
                            Junior Member
                            • May 2013
                            • 24

                            Soaking in diesel and using super fine steel wool (gently) should do the trick. Most don't know but diesel already has lubricants in it as opposed to gasoline.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Mwfillmore
                              Member
                              • Sep 2013
                              • 258

                              Any idea on how the gun got like this? Left in a basement? Wet handgun case? Dropped in the woods?

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                kcstott
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Nov 2011
                                • 11796

                                Originally posted by Mwfillmore
                                Any idea on how the gun got like this? Left in a basement? Wet handgun case? Dropped in the woods?
                                Idiot owner

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1