I have a price list too. and other non standard stuff gets a estimate and a bid fixed price with a little padding. Then yeah just that try to beat the shop rate.
the majority of the work is in fixturing and set up. once that is worked out the job are quick.
And a good tool maker can get rich doing high precision work.
The Toolmaker I apprenticed under retired and now does stuff out of his garage. took the old customers with him too. He make these little spindles for a company he spend about 45 minutes on each part and charges $250 a whack for them. The company pays it without batting an eye. the tolerances on the spindle are +.00000" -.00005" on the bearing support diameter of .12495"
thats why they cost so damn much. He does this on a Taiwan lathe and a Harig grinder. He can make all the parts he needs for a years worth of supply for the company in a little over a month if he did it every day.
Not a bad little deal.
There is money to be made in the Machine industry. It just ain't production work, Nor is it working on little jobs. I won't touch something unless it's worth MY time. I've had customers tell me that is arrogant. and I say you pay my bills then and I'll work for free.
My time is valuable, and if you desire me to take time out of my day to work on your project you need to understand I do not work for minimum wage and I sure don't give work away. I charge a fair price for what I do. and I've only had one customer complain about me and the only thing he could complain about was the price.
the majority of the work is in fixturing and set up. once that is worked out the job are quick.
And a good tool maker can get rich doing high precision work.
The Toolmaker I apprenticed under retired and now does stuff out of his garage. took the old customers with him too. He make these little spindles for a company he spend about 45 minutes on each part and charges $250 a whack for them. The company pays it without batting an eye. the tolerances on the spindle are +.00000" -.00005" on the bearing support diameter of .12495"
thats why they cost so damn much. He does this on a Taiwan lathe and a Harig grinder. He can make all the parts he needs for a years worth of supply for the company in a little over a month if he did it every day.
Not a bad little deal.
There is money to be made in the Machine industry. It just ain't production work, Nor is it working on little jobs. I won't touch something unless it's worth MY time. I've had customers tell me that is arrogant. and I say you pay my bills then and I'll work for free.
My time is valuable, and if you desire me to take time out of my day to work on your project you need to understand I do not work for minimum wage and I sure don't give work away. I charge a fair price for what I do. and I've only had one customer complain about me and the only thing he could complain about was the price.

Comment