Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
muzzle brake design I'm playing with
Collapse
X
-
Wow, you are putting a single high port that far back of the main ports. I don't believe I've seen that type of brake design. I would expect the gases to exit there like am erupting volcano forcing the muzzle down. Would be interesting to see how that works.NRA Life Member
GOA
GOCComment
-
Just random thoughts/information, nothing more...
At 5" long, that barrel is going to be REALLY long with brake installed. Gonna need a long case since you won't want to be taking the brake off a lot - doing so could eventually change the brakes "timing" to the barrel. The weight of SS way out there will also act like a non-adjustable tuner, you may need to adjust your load (if you're lucky, just your windage/elevation)
Something to check for, with the additional weight way out there and if it's top ports only, check to make sure the barrel doesn't slap the stock with all that downward pressure when fired.
From the FWIW files:
an excerpt from Roy Bertalotto's "Adventures with Muzzle Brakes" on his website-
Holes on top onlyExpansion Chamber- A brake bored out to thread diameter
right up to the exit hole is much more effective than a brake where the
bore is exit hole for the full length, Having the bullet traverse this
large expansion area somehow improves accuracy and there is a marked
reduction of recoil.
Effectiveness- The higher the pressure of the
particular round, the more effective the brake. I have over 20 rifles
with brakes. The 220 Swift is the king of reduction. Followed very
closely by the 25-06, 6mmRemington, any Weatherby small bore. With a
proper brake and a hot handload under a 40 gr bullet, the Swift will
move 1/2″ to the rear and 0 muzzle rise! Big boomers with low pressure
like 45-70s and shot guns benefit the least. I have two identical
Remington 700s both with identical brakes. One in 308 and the other in
300 Win Mag. Both shooting 155 Sierra Palma bullets, the Win Mag about
300FPS faster, and the Win Mag has measurably less recoil! Must be the
pressure / amount of gas available.
LengthUnbiased AR15, Barnard (sold
), BAT, Borden, Browning, Kelbly, Marsh, Nesika Bay, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ultralight Arms owner. I like 'em all.Comment
-
Well, now I know where one flaw is in mine. I wouldn't have the crust to machine a brake with only a half thou. difference unless I tied the gun to a tree to fire it first.Just random thoughts/information, nothing more...
At 5" long, that barrel is going to be REALLY long with brake installed. Gonna need a long case since you won't want to be taking the brake off a lot - doing so could eventually change the brakes "timing" to the barrel. The weight of SS way out there will also act like a non-adjustable tuner, you may need to adjust your load (if you're lucky, just your windage/elevation)
Something to check for, with the additional weight way out there and if it's top ports only, check to make sure the barrel doesn't slap the stock with all that downward pressure when fired.
From the FWIW files:
an excerpt from Roy Bertalotto's "Adventures with Muzzle Brakes" on his website-
Holes on top onlyExpansion Chamber- A brake bored out to thread diameter
right up to the exit hole is much more effective than a brake where the
bore is exit hole for the full length, Having the bullet traverse this
large expansion area somehow improves accuracy and there is a marked
reduction of recoil.
Effectiveness- The higher the pressure of the
particular round, the more effective the brake. I have over 20 rifles
with brakes. The 220 Swift is the king of reduction. Followed very
closely by the 25-06, 6mmRemington, any Weatherby small bore. With a
proper brake and a hot handload under a 40 gr bullet, the Swift will
move 1/2″ to the rear and 0 muzzle rise! Big boomers with low pressure
like 45-70s and shot guns benefit the least. I have two identical
Remington 700s both with identical brakes. One in 308 and the other in
300 Win Mag. Both shooting 155 Sierra Palma bullets, the Win Mag about
300FPS faster, and the Win Mag has measurably less recoil! Must be the
pressure / amount of gas available.
Length
Good luck with your project,
-RickParalyzed Veterans of America www.pva.orgComment
-
I think he means run out not over size of diameter.
And maybe that tight of concentricity is difficult for a gunsmith to hold but not me. I also believe that +/-.0005" is a wee bit ambitious. May eh on a bench rest gun but not a long range target rifle that is only expected to hold .75MOA
The problem I have with water testing is it not an accurate Depiction of flow as the pressure is dropping and the projectile is passing ports on the way through. The ports will not all vent at once as a water test would show. I think the only way to do it is to shoot it and see.
Now I'm not a fan of the first port. But that's what my uncle wants and he has some experience with this stuff so I'm going with it.
BTW it ain't stainless it's 4140 I'm going to cerokote it after the fact.
As far as it being long and creating a really long barrel. Well that was the point. Barrel length is going to be right at 30" when done. As stated before this is not designed to be tacticool in any way shap or form. It designed to do a job.
Over length, weight, etc don't matter in the long run.
And yes load will be taylored to the rifle. We will be setting up the reloading station and loading five to ten rounds at a time to verify accuracy. We'll then take the best load and use that.Comment
-
There was an article i read when i had a custom brake i designed for my 22-250 that stated that there is a sweet spot for bore diameter compared to bullet diameter. To big a bore and it won't be as effective but to small and it can happen the harmonics of the bullet path and affect accuracy.
Comment
-
Have you considered simply porting the barrel?God so loved the world He gave His only Son... Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
John 3:16
NRA,,, Lifer
United Air Epic Fail Video ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvgComment
-
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
Utah CCW Instructor
Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
sigpic CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
KM6WLVComment
-
I was talking with my nephew kcstott lastnight about the muzzle brake and all the posts that evey one has posted. And all there concerns.
I will say is I know my Nephew kcstott. And I know my rilfe and me.
I could and am more than capable of doing all the mathmatical equations of the laws of physics involved, and factoring in all the eviormental conditions.
and it would make a great thesis. And bore you with alot of needless reading.
The muzzle brake he is building is for me. I already know mathmatically it will work. The only one major variable is the port on top that we are not sure of. that is why he is making two versions. one with one with out.
We have completed the mathmatics and ran the ballastics. Now we will be experimenting with a design theory of mine and his.
Bottom Line is I know MY Nephew kcstott.
He knows my Remington 700 Sendero II . But to Paraphase for those who dont
It's a Bolt-action, breech loader. Usual barrel length's twenty six inches. This one will have an extra four. It will shoot a special hand loaded high performance metal cartridge, with a 220grain SMK HP Boat Tail bullet. It's fitted with Floating lead back weight, A Timney Competition Match Trigger, and a Leopold Optical sight, It's marked up to 1300 yards. This rifle shoots a mite further.Comment
-
Hiya RD, nice rifle.
Yer nephew KC built a muzzle Brake for my AMD65 a while back.
Upon finishing the Brake, KC proclaimed that it would very LOUD and likely spew forth Notorious Fireballs.
Well, he wasn't too far off the mark. Damned thing is LOUD and spits out flames which would make Godzilla proud...
The Can:
The "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" was not created by the 2nd Amendment; it was merely an acknowledgement of an existing, un-Alienable Right
UN-ALIENABLE - Defined by Webster as: incapable of being alienated, surrendered, or transferred .
Joseph Johnston - 4/14
-Comment
-
Have fun trying to machine the ports in that configuration without a sinker EDM.
IMHO the ports are too small, at the inside hole. You will have poor gas flow, and there will be sharp corners where the hole and ports intersect. Slots can be milled, and open the sides more for better flow.
Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,854
Posts: 25,152,499
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,763
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 11985 users online. 112 members and 11873 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.


Comment