Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Frog lube

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    NorCalDustin
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 1463

    I never rush out and buy this months super-ninja-uber-awesome-navy-seal-army-ranger-elite-sniper-approved-nonfreezing lubricant.

    That said, I was even a complete FrogLube package for T&E... No one involved really liked my reaction. I personally think that it works, but its by far my favorite lubricant. It doesn't even make my top 10 list. The only real positive to it is that it smells nice. As for the claims of being non-toxic and biodegradable, I would like to see the data on that (something no one was able to provide).

    Anyway, I still like wheel bearing grease. It's cheaper and it feels more lubristic.
    Originally posted by BannedinBritain
    The only dumb question is the one you don't ask...and get arrested for later.

    Comment

    • #32
      -hanko
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Jul 2002
      • 14174

      Originally posted by gesundheit
      Unless you guys are going to start buying rifles based on the recommendation of someone who is a ex-lubrication engineer, I suggest letting the brain decide things.
      It will never happen, too many folks here who can't do minor research.
      True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

      Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

      Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

      A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

      Comment

      • #33
        Artema
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2012
        • 3821

        So out of curiosity, since I have no data on Frog Lube, what tech data do you have on your own personal choice?
        - SAAMI Pressure Specs
        Originally posted by Artema
        I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.

        Comment

        • #34
          kkp
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 1374

          I like Frog Lube. It's a little more expensive, but if that little bit more expensive is going to break you, you're in the wrong hobby.
          It smells nice. I don't care if it's just scent or something intrinsic to the product, but I can actually clean my guns in the living room in front of the TV without my wife (and her hyper-sensitive nose) complaining, instead of being banished to the blazing hot garage. That's a big plus to me.
          It's non-toxic. Lots of stuff in this world (and hobby!) will kill you, sure, along with the lead in the bullets, various other products, blah blah blah, but this is at least one thing I can cross off the list. And considering how much I end up with coating my hands, that's a nice thing, IMO.
          It works, and very well. Other products work, too. Tons of options on the market. But this stuff works, and works well (and see other positives in this list, most do not apply to the other options). Some people seem really hung up the fact that they've been shooting with product XYZ for years, and it's always worked for them, so why change? I get that... but the same thing applies to me. It works, and works well, so why should I change just because they have something they like? (NOTE: IF YOU SHOOT IN COLD WEATHER, UNDER 40 DEGREES, OFTEN, SEEK ANOTHER PRODUCT!)
          It's easier to clean. Guns that have been treated with Frog Lube seem to be genuinely easier to clean, moving forward. It's not a shake it out and walk away easy, but it's definitely easier than with the various oils I've used in the past, and less messy, too.
          Snake oil? Baloney. Hype? I don't care. I'm not seeing commercials in my face, and I choose what I click on here on CalGuns, so I'm apparently missing the amazing amount of hype that's happening... somewhere. I've seen just as much hype for SLIK2000-EWL, another popular product, and something I'll probably try sometime, but meanwhile, I seem to have plenty of Frog Lube that I'm happy with... because it works really well on my weapons. How is that snake oil, exactly?

          As far as I'm concerned, the only two downsides to Frog Lube are (1) it's a bit more expensive, and (2) there are some real whiners who have a serious chip on their shoulder about the stuff.

          Comment

          • #35
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57179

            Originally posted by -hanko
            the product was simply re-labeled TrakLube (sp?).


            Reading through that website, there are very similar warnings about removing petroleum products, Pre heating, all natural etc...
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #36
              -hanko
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Jul 2002
              • 14174

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              www.tracklubeplus.com

              Reading through that website, there are very similar warnings about removing petroleum products, Pre heating, all natural etc...
              Founder of Froglube struck a deal with Tracklube for marketing the stuff to non-amusement park customers.

              That info is on FL's website.

              That guy is definitely a great marketer.

              -hanko
              True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

              Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

              Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

              A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

              Comment

              • #37
                Gunsmith Dan
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2012
                • 1445

                Outside of tried and true testing no I have no "scientific data" as to compare FrogLube to the THOUSANDS of products.

                Frog Lube is a Lubricating WAX that is in the same realm of wax like high end Carnauba wax but softer with more lubricating properties (that is why water beads up on the surface). So it is not some new fangled product just a existing product that was reformulated for a specific use.

                The only data I have is using the product compared to other products checking key things:

                How much carbon residue is there?

                How easy is the carbon residue and other contamination removed?

                For high friction bearing parts does it affect the amount of force needed?

                How long before the product breaks down before the force needed is back to the force used in a non lubricated state .

                How long does the product remain in the firearm and still provide lubricating properties?

                Does it come off easy when splashed small amounts of water (rain simulation)?

                Does it attract and hold contamination that could damage the firearm?

                What tempurature does it start to smoke?


                That just a basic list I use to evaluate a product before I start using it on customer's guns. Like I said in the Frog Lube was the best performing non petroleum based product while MPRO7 LPX was the best performing Petroleum based lubricant.
                Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 08-21-2013, 10:37 PM.

                Comment

                • #38
                  BajaJames83
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 6042

                  I do like frog lube butbi must say their grease does not hold up nearly as well as mobile 1 grease.
                  NRA Endowment Life Member
                  USMC 2001-2012

                  Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

                  John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
                  James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    6mmintl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 4822

                    Is it really made from a secretion from frogs? or is used by competitors at the Calaveras frog jumping contest?

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Happyhappycamper
                      Member
                      • Aug 2012
                      • 429

                      Originally posted by 6mmintl
                      Is it really made from a secretion from frogs? or is used by competitors at the Calaveras frog jumping contest?

                      No, but if you suck on the bottom of the bottle you will start to hallucinate.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        kcstott
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Nov 2011
                        • 11796

                        It called frog lube meaning it's to lube your frog. not made from frogs

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          California44
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2012
                          • 1092

                          I was getting frustrated with two of my1911-'s. Racking them was kinda sticky, not smooth. The finish was looking dull. Noticed that the sticky was frog lube so I blasted them and cleaned them with clp. Pretty again and smooth; feels like they did when I first bought them . Anyone else experience something similar? Wondering if frog lube may still be a superior lube, after it hears and melts.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Artema
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2012
                            • 3821

                            Originally posted by California44
                            I was getting frustrated with two of my1911-'s. Racking them was kinda sticky, not smooth. The finish was looking dull. Noticed that the sticky was frog lube so I blasted them and cleaned them with clp. Pretty again and smooth; feels like they did when I first bought them . Anyone else experience something similar? Wondering if frog lube may still be a superior lube, after it hears and melts.
                            Did you have it caked up to where you could see it? It's supposed to be pretty thin.
                            - SAAMI Pressure Specs
                            Originally posted by Artema
                            I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              California44
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2012
                              • 1092

                              Originally posted by Artema
                              Did you have it caked up to where you could see it? It's supposed to be pretty thin.
                              Maybe. But I tend to over lube to be safe. It's harder to overlube with clp.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Artema
                                Veteran Member
                                • Nov 2012
                                • 3821

                                Originally posted by California44
                                Maybe. But I tend to over lube to be safe. It's harder to overlube with clp.
                                Makes sense. From what I've read FL is supposed to be very thin, as it is more of a wax than an oil. Kind of like your ear. A bit keeps you healthy, too much is nasty as hell.
                                - SAAMI Pressure Specs
                                Originally posted by Artema
                                I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1