Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Buffer tube and buffer stop Q

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RP1911
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2007
    • 5198

    Buffer tube and buffer stop Q

    I just installed a PSA buffer tube and buffer stop. There is barely any engagement of the stop. The buffer tube does not seem to have the correct accentuated lip to engage the stop properly.

    Here's a pic. Let me know if I am correct and should I be sending the buffer tube back to PSA?
    Last edited by RP1911; 03-16-2014, 9:33 AM.
    RP1911
    -----------
    NRA Life
    CGN
  • #2
    jfifer
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 3205

    There could be a burr holding it in, or the spring is too short

    Comment

    • #3
      Brandon04GT
      In Memoriam
      • Feb 2011
      • 3016

      I basically ran into the same problem with a BCM tube on a JD Machine lower. How much of a gap do you have between the front of the stock and the castle nut when the stock is fully collapsed?

      In my case, I was almost able to make another complete revolution of the buffer tube without any issues. All I had to do was notch the buffer tube SLIGHTLY for it to clear the buffer retainer. That's what I ended up doing.

      Comment

      • #4
        kcstott
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2011
        • 11796

        You have to remember that the threads on these two parts are not clocked or indexed to each other in any way.

        From the US Army's TM on the M4. "screw the buffer tube into the receiver until it retains the buffer retainer. Align the lug or the receiver end plate into the rear of the lower receiver, screw the locking nut forward until it contacts the receiver end plate. tighten until snug torque to 40 in/lbs +/-2

        Comment

        • #5
          RP1911
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2007
          • 5198

          Brandon,

          I actually did exactly that before you posted. One complete revolution and it now sits on the retainer well.
          Thanks for the responses.


          Kcstott,

          I now have an additional issue. The safety indicator point is dropping just before the fire (bullet) pictogram. I can actuate the trigger from this position. If I rotate it more it will not stop.

          I extended the pin spring to get a positive pressure but that is not solving the issue. I think the (80%) completed lower maybe off. I tried the selector on two other (80%) completed lowers from the same outfit and all three have the same issue.

          BTW, it's not my first go around. I have built several.
          Last edited by RP1911; 03-16-2014, 9:33 AM.
          RP1911
          -----------
          NRA Life
          CGN

          Comment

          • #6
            Jason25
            Vendor/Retailer
            • Jan 2013
            • 999

            Originally posted by RP1911

            I now have an additional issue. The safety indicator point is dropping just before the fire (bullet) pictogram. I can actuate the trigger from this position. If I rotate it more it will not stop.

            I extended the pin spring to get a positive pressure but that is not solving the issue. I think the (80%) completed lower maybe off. I tried the selector on two other (80%) completed lowers from the same outfit and all three have the same issue.
            Im not kscott but this may help

            Which LPK did you use? There are selector switches that are designed to rotate less than 90 degrees but usually an aftermarket selector. Does the selector seat when you get in into the position you have shown in the picture and continue to rotate with additional pressure? Check your slot on the selector and pull the grip off and check the detent. It may not be seated all the way in and not properly engaged in the slot of the selector. Ive dealt with a handful of 80s that had a burr or two in the hole for the selector detent. With the detent in, apply a little bit of pressure on it with a punch. It may just get passed a burr and snap right into place.
            Last edited by Jason25; 08-03-2013, 9:50 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              RP1911
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2007
              • 5198

              All parts are PSA. When I rotate it stops as in pic. With pressure, I can get it past the fire. Going back to safe takes considerable pressure to rotate left.
              RP1911
              -----------
              NRA Life
              CGN

              Comment

              • #8
                Jason25
                Vendor/Retailer
                • Jan 2013
                • 999

                Originally posted by RP1911
                All parts are PSA. When I rotate it stops as in pic. With pressure, I can get it past the fire. Going back to safe takes considerable pressure to rotate left.
                Put a drop of oil into the slot itself and work it back and forth. Sounds like its getting snagged on something. Standard PSA lpk should rotate 90 degrees and engage into place.

                Comment

                • #9
                  kcstott
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 11796

                  I can only say that it looks like your selector hole is out of spec. To far forward. that would also make your selector stop where you are saying do to the detent hole not being on center of the selector hole.
                  Pull your selector and see if the detent hole is centered in the bottom of the selector hole. It should be obviously perfect or not.

                  If that is in fact the case then your lower needs to be plugged and redrilled on proper location. You can either plug and redirill the selector hole or plug and redrill the detent hole. The detent hole is the easier fix

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    RP1911
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 5198

                    Fixed it. First I tried different selectors, springs and detents. Once I figured out that any of the three combinations was having the same issue. I took an unstretched spring and cut a bit of the spring (2-3) coils off. Problem solved in that the selector now moves freely between safe and fire. However, it still stops from going 90 degree to verticle.
                    RP1911
                    -----------
                    NRA Life
                    CGN

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Jason25
                      Vendor/Retailer
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 999

                      huh... your selector or detent hole may indeed be out of spec. post a pic if your not satisfied

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        RP1911
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 5198

                        Yeah not satisfied. Will discuss with vendor.
                        RP1911
                        -----------
                        NRA Life
                        CGN

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kcstott
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2011
                          • 11796

                          was this an 80% or 100% receiver??

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            RP1911
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 5198

                            Kcstott,

                            Thanks, I'll check for that.
                            RP1911
                            -----------
                            NRA Life
                            CGN

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              RP1911
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Sep 2007
                              • 5198

                              Kcstott and Jason25,

                              You guys are great. Three out of 4 of the lowers have detent holes that are off center. The 4th one is correct as I tested it with the same selector, detent and I modified spring.

                              They were 80%.


                              I owe you guys a drink or two.

                              Best regards,
                              RP
                              Last edited by RP1911; 03-16-2014, 9:33 AM.
                              RP1911
                              -----------
                              NRA Life
                              CGN

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1