Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How to: Stop a gun from rusting?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Holescreek
    Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 242

    Saturate a piece of #0000 steel wool with some WD40 and use it to lightly scrub off the rust. #0000 will not harm bluing and the WD40 acts as a lubricant. Once it's clean, pick one of the products already mentioned.

    Comment

    • #17
      todd2968
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 1674

      Frog lube non toxic answer also makes it smell minty fresh ( for a little bit)
      NRA LIFE MEMBER
      VFW LIFEMEMBER

      Comment

      • #18
        kcstott
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2011
        • 11796

        Originally posted by kenshinoro2007
        Eezox is highly toxic to breathe or touch. look up the msds of the main ingredient.
        TCE is not the main ingredient it's just in there and has to be listed due to the law.

        Any petroleum based lubricant is also toxic. What's your point????

        Comment

        • #19
          kcstott
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2011
          • 11796

          Living near the ocean for quite some time I've had the same issues.

          One: you will never stop rust, you will only delay it.

          Two there is nothing that you can apply to a piece of steel that will stay there forever providing rust protection. Although Cosmoline is close.

          Here's what I do.
          Once every couple of months on my firearms that are stored I pull them out and wipe them down with an oily rag.
          Shotguns: I spray a rust preventative oil on a swap and run it through the barrel.
          Rifles: after I clean them after a shoot ing trip the bore gets a light coat of oil then a clean patch to remove excess oil.

          My guns don't sit long enough to get rust in the bore.

          Other weapons that are handled from time to time get a wipe down more often.

          Notice I said Oil and not Brand X or Y. You pick something, Some oil either conventional or synthetic that has an SAE weight of about 10 or less. This is typical of nearly all gun oils. I'm just adding it as a note on what not to use. Now WD40, Liquid wrench, or any thin oil in a spray can is a bad idea to use as most are diluted with a solvent and that solven will was away the existing oil on your firearms. Now the exception to that rule is spray grease's and LPS 2 or 3. those are specifically made to spray on thin and thicken up with a fast evaporating carrier. I personally don't care for spray on stuff.
          Nearly any oil will work. Me personally I have a five gallon bucket of turbine oil. Very good an expensive stuff. But it makes a very nice GP lube around the shop. And when I didn't pay for it, It's make a very cheep gun oil

          And for that matter while I'm talking about Turbine oil plain old 3 in 1 works too. good stuff been around for years and doesn't carry the wizzbang BS logo and high price tag.
          There is one product I will mention by name other then 3 in 1 and thats Corrosion X for guns. I keep a bottle of that in my cleaning kit and the stuff works great. It's not cheep but it just something I use.
          Last edited by kcstott; 11-18-2012, 7:49 AM.

          Comment

          • #20
            choprzrul
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2009
            • 6551

            For reference:

            A little test I did.

            A bigger/better test.

            YMMV, and the tests aren't scientific, but this should give you a good starting point.

            .

            Comment

            • #21
              Horton Fenty
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 921

              Originally posted by thomashoward
              look up Eezox, found to be the best
              This or RIG.

              Comment

              • #22
                JNunez23
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2012
                • 2755

                For the record; steel wool will screw up your gun's finish.

                That is all.
                sigpic"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
                John Wooden

                Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!

                Comment

                • #23
                  kcstott
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 11796

                  Originally posted by JNunez23
                  For the record; steel wool will screw up your gun's finish.

                  That is all.
                  That depends on the cut of the steel wool
                  0000 steel wool would be hard pressed to do anything to any but the most finely finished firearms, And a Mossberg 500 is not finely finished.
                  That said unless you know what you are doing or are willing to accept the risk don't try it.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Horton Fenty
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • 921

                    Originally posted by JNunez23
                    For the record; steel wool will screw up your gun's finish.

                    That is all.
                    I'm curious to know if you have screwed up the finish on a gun with quad ought steel wool and what kind of finish it was.

                    It depends on the finish. Polished blue is fine, does nothing to anything I've used it on. Matte blue, don't do it, you'll make a shiny spot. Stainless, don't know haven't tried it.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Patriot Man
                      Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 343

                      Frog lube and safe with dessicants, get the $30 ones that allow you to plug into wall to reheat/dehydrate them.
                      CGN Contributor,
                      I donate Routinely to CRPA. Memberships: NRA, CRPA

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        JaMail
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 1897

                        i had issues with 1 or 2 of the guns in my safe, they would rust up even if the one right next to it wouldnt.

                        , ive switched to bosheild t9 and so far so good, a guy on another board posted up pics of steel washers he treated with 10 difference products and bosheild and eezox were the winners hands down.
                        Jason M- My 5 year old is a NRA life member, are you?

                        WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          uxo2
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 4003

                          Originally posted by thomashoward
                          look up Eezox, found to be the best
                          For rust...this
                          Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
                          Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
                          One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
                          George Patton

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            FeuerFrei
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 7455

                            Boeshield T9 and ZCORR bags.
                            The bags have been 100% and still work after 6 years. I have turned all of my firends onto these bags and they have gotten the same results. Cheap insurance.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Packy14
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 5312

                              Originally posted by kcstott
                              TCE is not the main ingredient it's just in there and has to be listed due to the law.

                              Any petroleum based lubricant is also toxic. What's your point????
                              it is the antirust ingredient, and it is a highly carcinogenic substance, much worse than your average petroleum product. Breathing it in or having it on your skin (it will absorb through) is a bad idea and a bad day in the future. Do whatever you want, I'm just advising you as someone who knows about cancer, carcinogens, and stupidity.
                              NRA Lifetime Member

                              1A-2A = -1A

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                kcstott
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Nov 2011
                                • 11796

                                Originally posted by kenshinoro2007
                                it is the antirust ingredient, and it is a highly carcinogenic substance, much worse than your average petroleum product. Breathing it in or having it on your skin (it will absorb through) is a bad idea and a bad day in the future. Do whatever you want, I'm just advising you as someone who knows about cancer, carcinogens, and stupidity.
                                It's only "highly carcinogenic" if you choose to say it is. It is only considered a Carcinogen in CA. The US in general consider TCE as a "Possible carcinogen"
                                and that is a occupational exposure levels.

                                Ever use nonflammable brake cleaner or non chlorinated contact cleaner?? It's in there too. It's the replacement for 111 Trichlor
                                And by the way it evaporates so fast it can be used as a rust preventative.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1