Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Building a 1911

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • golden
    Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 176

    Building a 1911

    How difficult is building a 1911 pistol as compared to AKs and rifle projects? I wanted to build a handgun but I'm not too sure of the difficulty compared to other gunsmithing projects. Tips and advice?

    I found this guide on brownells that pretty much gives a step by step tutorial so I thought it wouldn't be too difficult but I think the cost is going to be way up there.
  • #2
    eaglemike
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Jan 2008
    • 3959

    If you get a "mil-spec" kit it's quite easy. When you start adding custom fitted parts the difficulty and cost goes up. I'd suggest a "mil-spec" kit for the first time. That way you can learn how everything works and fits. When you start doing the fitting, you'll likely need a few special tools.
    all the best,
    Mike
    There are some people that it's just not worth engaging.

    It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?

    Comment

    • #3
      Fjold
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Oct 2005
      • 23062

      The hardest thing is finding a bare slide.
      Frank

      One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




      Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

      Comment

      • #4
        eaglemike
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Jan 2008
        • 3959

        Originally posted by Fjold
        The hardest thing is finding a bare slide.
        Did you mean a bare frame? Slides are easily mail ordered, or sometimes picked up at gun shows. Oh, for the good old days at Pomona......

        all the best,
        Mike
        There are some people that it's just not worth engaging.

        It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?

        Comment

        • #5
          JagerTroop
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • 3922

          I've got a 60% stainless frame and a complete slide assy. Pm me if you're interested.
          -A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.*
          *participation may vary by location. Not valid in California.

          Originally posted by ar15barrels
          And yes, this IS gun school.
          Welcome to class.
          Originally posted by bdsmchs
          There is life outside of Calguns
          Originally posted by IrishPirate
          stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!

          Comment

          • #6
            golden
            Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 176

            Thanks for the info guys.

            Originally posted by JagerTroop
            I've got a 60% stainless frame and a complete slide assy. Pm me if you're interested.
            What are all the parts I need to get to build one? I just want to get a rough idea at the number of different orders I need to make.

            Comment

            • #7
              Fjold
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Oct 2005
              • 23062

              Originally posted by eaglemike
              Did you mean a bare frame? Slides are easily mail ordered, or sometimes picked up at gun shows. Oh, for the good old days at Pomona......

              all the best,
              Mike
              Yep, I should proof before posting.
              Frank

              One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




              Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

              Comment

              • #8
                TMC
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 2348

                Originally posted by golden
                Thanks for the info guys.



                What are all the parts I need to get to build one? I just want to get a rough idea at the number of different orders I need to make.
                From the bottom up

                Frame
                Grip screw bushings (2)
                grip screws (2)
                grips
                plunger spring housing
                main spring housing
                grip safety
                thumb saftey
                sear
                sear spring
                disconnector
                hammer
                hammer strut
                trigger
                ejector
                slide stop
                Pin & pin set (hammer spring pin, main spring housing pin, main spring cap, main spring, slide stop & thumb safety plungers & spring, ejector retaining pin, barrel link pin, firing pin spring, hammer & sear pins)
                slide
                barrel
                barrel bushing
                barrel link
                firing pin
                firing pin stop
                extractor
                recoil spring
                guide rod
                guide rod plug
                sights

                That's off the top of my head, I may have have forgotten some small thing

                You also need a couple of speacial tools to built it right
                where are my pistol mags?

                Comment

                • #9
                  destro360
                  Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 453

                  i started a thread on this same exact question and was told it would be impossible without a lathe and heavy tooling etc... interesting the different "info" you can get from people...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    wash
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2007
                    • 9011

                    A magazine would be a good idea.
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by oaklander
                    Dear Kevin,

                    You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
                    Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kmca
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 2371

                      It depends entirely on what you mean by "build". A mill with tooling would come in very handy. If you're really good and have the patience, you could do it with a file, stones and jigs.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        SJgunguy24
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • May 2008
                        • 14849

                        Originally posted by Fjold
                        The hardest thing is finding a bare slide.
                        Slide's are easy, brownells has tons of them.
                        I have a compact I'm going to rebuild. Basically, get a frame and brownells has everything you need (tools and parts) and all the info to do the job.
                        Take your time with it. he key to a good 1911 is fit up and keeping everything tight enough for a solid lock up but loose enough to function with all ammo. Also you need to pay attention to the feed ramp, some barrels are ramped, some frames have the ramp. It's the little things that make a great 1911.
                        There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
                        The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
                        The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
                        The others, well......they just never learn.

                        "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
                        Patrick Henry.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          eaglemike
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 3959

                          If your definition of build means making the frame, I'd say that project is well beyond the ability of most people. If you can buy a complete frame, then it's no a big deal - unless you plan on making the slide too.

                          Making the slide or frame from scratch requires a good machinist and specialized tooling. The trigger bow cut and slot for the trigger shoe in the frame is waaay beyond the difficulty of playing with AK stuff......

                          all the best,
                          Mike
                          There are some people that it's just not worth engaging.

                          It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Mute
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 8595

                            If you don't plan on doing anything that requires machining such as dovetails for the sights or unfinished frame rails, than it's fairly easy. However, as already stated, if you get parts that needs to be custom fitted, you'll have your work cut out for you. Most match parts are made to be fitted and will not usually just drop in.
                            NRA Benefactor Life Member
                            NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor, CA DOJ Certified CCW Instructor, RSO


                            American Marksman Training Group
                            Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              golden
                              Member
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 176

                              Originally posted by Mute
                              If you don't plan on doing anything that requires machining such as dovetails for the sights or unfinished frame rails, than it's fairly easy. However, as already stated, if you get parts that needs to be custom fitted, you'll have your work cut out for you. Most match parts are made to be fitted and will not usually just drop in.
                              As I already tried to make clear in the first post, I don't have any experience building a handgun. I wouldn't really know what steps you're talking about there exactly since I've only worked on AKs and rifle kits. My plan was just to buy most of the parts from brownells because they seem to have all of them. I was going to buy an 80% frame and the list of items needed that TMC posted. Is that a bad idea/too difficult for a first time handgun builder to go that route?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1