Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SoCal smith for Beowulf Brake Threading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TurboChrisB
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2010
    • 5116

    SoCal smith for Beowulf Brake Threading?

    I have a entry level AA Beowulf (non threaded barrel end) that I want to install a King Armory brake on. This is what King Armory has said..

    "Its a pretty easy thread to cut, 20TPI is very coarse. The KA-0450 is a very precise brake so the threads will need to be cut on a lathe. The last .550" of the barrel needs to be threaded 49/64"x20 and the 1/2" behind that needs to be turned to .775" diameter (most AA barrels are already that diameter anyways)

    Ironically, threading a Beo barrel takes 1/3 of the time it takes to thread a .223 AR15 barrel because the barrel is already sized, its a coarse thread, and you don't have to cut a step for the crush washer. "

    I called Bolsa Gunsmithing and they declined as they don't work on AR platform....he suggested Evan's but stated they likely won't either...and I've heard good and bad about Evans.....

    Anyone have a reccomendation as to someone in the OC area that can do it without taking forever? Sounds like a pretty simple job for a experienced smith....I'm trying to avoid shipping it but if I have to I guess I will...

    Thanks
  • #2
    BamBam-31
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Dec 2005
    • 5318

    I did a transfer at Entreprise (Irwindale) a couple weeks ago. Asked them how much it'd cost to install a brake. They said $50, w/ a one week turnaround. They seem to have a spotty rep for rifle building, but how hard can it be to thread a barrel on a lathe?



    And there's always Randall. He had great prices. Cut and crowned my AR barrel while I waited. www.ar15barrels.com
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      bjl333
      C3 Contributor
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2009
      • 7010

      Go to www.caprc.com look up Randall/ar15barrels.com.
      Last edited by bjl333; 09-20-2010, 11:52 AM.
      Wanna learn to shoot SKEET? I am here to introduce all shooters to the sport of SKEET Shooting ....
      CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT >>> SoCal Skeet Clinic
      SKEET SHOOTING CLINIC
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        JagerTroop
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • 3922

        Stay away from Evan's Gunsmithing. That guy is a complete tool.

        Give Randall a call.
        -A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.*
        *participation may vary by location. Not valid in California.

        Originally posted by ar15barrels
        And yes, this IS gun school.
        Welcome to class.
        Originally posted by bdsmchs
        There is life outside of Calguns
        Originally posted by IrishPirate
        stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!

        Comment

        • #5
          kingjoey
          Banned
          • Jun 2008
          • 441

          Yeah, Randall should be able to do it. I'm not much of a machinist and even I can thread a Beo barrel, its a cakewalk.

          Comment

          • #6
            TurboChrisB
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2010
            • 5116

            Yeah, I looked at Randalls site...was gonna call him but couldn't find a phone number...anyone wanna pm his number? Saw where the upper has to be disassembled? Jeezzz even with his low price to thread...between taking down the upper and reassembling it and threading and shipping both ways...gonna be looking at over $100....

            Comment

            • #7
              JagerTroop
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • 3922

              remove the bbl yourself. It will reduce the shipping cost, as well as what he charges to dis/reassemble.
              -A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.*
              *participation may vary by location. Not valid in California.

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              And yes, this IS gun school.
              Welcome to class.
              Originally posted by bdsmchs
              There is life outside of Calguns
              Originally posted by IrishPirate
              stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1