Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Gunsmith vs. "Armorer"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GunDog
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 1821

    Gunsmith vs. "Armorer"

    Anyone care to explain the difference between a gunsmith and an armorer.

    Think I know what a trained gunsmith is capable of doing. Know that generally a gunsmith has a background/training as a machinist or tool maker with extensive and varied gunsmithing experience.

    What intrigues me though, is oftentimes I see gun enthusiasts who post on CALGUNS and elsewhere who like to describe themselves as a Colt or Glock "Armorer."

    I've heard many instances of where a self-described armorer has buggered up someone's firearm. Oftentimes gun-tinkerers with inflated egos like to call themselves armorers even though they have no formal training. Sometimes these "armorers" will take on a job and end up "in over their heads."

    Your comments........
    NRA Life Benefactor Member
    CRPA Life Member
    VFW Life Member
  • #2
    Jason_2111
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 3831

    An armorer is more of a parts "replace-man". We're also good at identifying problems, ordering and installing parts, tuning up bad or damaged parts with the tools of the trade... rawhide mallet and honing stones. An armorer is usually intimately familiar with a range of firearms, but not as many as a gunsmith.
    Yeah, there are some guys that will watch a few videos and call themselves an armorer while in all actuality are just gun enthusiasts that like to take apart their gear.
    In the military, and armorer is also in charge of maintaining custody of weapons, performing preventative maintenance, and inspecting/repairing weapons.
    Things and armorer doesn't do (or at least, things I didn't do as a Marine Corps armorer of 8 years):
    - fabricate parts,
    - do anything that required use of a lathe or mill (apply checkering to stocks, cut dovetails in slides for custom sights, etc),
    - Apply any sort of custom finish like hard chroming or parkerizing shiny metal parts
    - heat treating or cold tempering parts

    You can see the difference.

    IMHO, any armorer should have all of the specialized tools for any particular weapons they claim to work on... thinks like that bench block you use on an AR to hold the gas block when you knock out the pins. Also, an armorer should have any needed gauges... like for headspace checks or bore straightness/erosion checks.

    Some guys do get in over their heads though. Me personally... I fix all my own stuff, unless I know it requires a special tool that I don't have, or is beyond the scope of my abilities... then I take it in to the shop.

    Training is another big difference.
    In the Marine Corps, armorer school is 6 months long, and you learn about 20 or so weapons. Gunsmith (2112) school is over a year long, and you learn just sniper rifles.

    Comment

    • #3
      Toten Kopf
      Member
      • Feb 2008
      • 252

      Most armorers are limited to what is allowed in technical manuals, no custom or modification work.

      If the manual doesn't list it, they shouldn't do it.

      A gunsmith is not limited to manual listed work. They can do as much custom/modification work as their skills allow (for the most part).
      "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

      WOLVERINES!

      Comment

      • #4
        winnre
        Calguns Addict
        • Apr 2010
        • 9214

        My unit "armorer" didn't know why the magazine would not fit in the M'4s hollow pistol grip...
        "If Jesus had a gun he would be alive today"-Homer Simpson

        Comment

        • #5
          Timberwolf
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2004
          • 6275

          Originally posted by winnre
          My unit "armorer" didn't know why the magazine would not fit in the M'4s hollow pistol grip...


          Faceplant into palms of hands
          I'm only smiling at you while you talk to me because it's hilarious that you really think I give a crap about you.

          As I've gotten older I thought I was gaining patience, then I realized I simply don't give a crap.

          Comment

          • #6
            kendog4570
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2008
            • 5180

            Originally posted by winnre
            My unit "armorer" didn't know why the magazine would not fit in the M'4s hollow pistol grip...
            He was probably putting it in backwards!

            Comment

            • #7
              9mmepiphany
              Calguns Addict
              • Jul 2008
              • 8075

              my definition is sort of old fashioned, but so are the gun smiths i know.

              an armourer maintains guns. they can replace and refit parts. they know correct fitting procedures and common causes of malfunctions

              a gunsmith can build a gun...all the parts from a block of steel.

              a favorite answer i've heard was someone admiring a grip safety treatment on a 1911 and asking, "how do you do that?" the answer was, "you weld on a piece of metal and just remove anything that doesn't look the way you want". that's why i admire the old 1911 smiths from the 60s and 70s...they didn't have aftermarket parts to install, they made them from an idea in their head
              Last edited by 9mmepiphany; 06-25-2010, 3:08 PM.
              ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

              Comment

              • #8
                GunDog
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 1821

                An interesting discussion so far. Thanks to all for your inputs.
                NRA Life Benefactor Member
                CRPA Life Member
                VFW Life Member

                Comment

                • #9
                  Once A Marine
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 1165

                  Originally posted by winnre
                  My unit "armorer" didn't know why the magazine would not fit in the M'4s hollow pistol grip...
                  Was he an armorer by MOS, or was he a weapons custodian?

                  NRA Endowment Member
                  NRA Certified Pistol, Personal Protection,
                  Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
                  Glock Certified Armorer

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    m24armorer
                    In Memoriam
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 1422

                    Gee, not sure what I am. And after 45 years of this stuff, I'm still not sure.

                    BTW my MOS was 2112RTE
                    07 Class II in the Bay area.
                    Enjoy the silence.......
                    sigpic
                    Celebrating our madness for over
                    50 years.


                    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
                    - George Patton

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CRTguns
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • 2627

                      M24gunsmith

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57179

                        Armorers are usually parts swappers.
                        Gunsmiths are machinists that happen to work on guns.
                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kendog4570
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 5180

                          From Websters:


                          Main Entry:

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            9mmepiphany
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jul 2008
                            • 8075

                            Looks like "armorers" were on the scene first.
                            they were...armor for knights pre-dated firearms; armorers were originally blacksmiths
                            ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              LexLuther
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 838

                              Good question, good answers, Thanks !
                              "I love it, its my second ammendment but we with the gun was the only thing between those guys and the oven and they still can't know this theys too dumb and I seen the ovens. They dont know it but they cant take all the guns and if ever, push ever comes to shove we'll be back." - Don Burgett

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1