Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ak trouble

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    SJgunguy24
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2008
    • 14849

    It sounds fine, the spec is around 30lbs of pressure IIRC to get the bolt to lock up when new.
    I would load up a few mags and let fly. It will smooth up with use.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
    The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
    The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
    The others, well......they just never learn.

    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
    Patrick Henry.

    Comment

    • #17
      SJgunguy24
      I need a LIFE!!
      • May 2008
      • 14849

      Originally posted by Z ME FLY
      I think based on what I read it does. I asked him without the mag does it move okay. But then again could it be the mag for some reason?
      Even if the mag moves a bit it should feed. If the mag is too low in the back the bolt won't strip a round, if it's too high it will lock up the carrier. If the front is off then it was built by an idiot or somebody needs more practice with rock and lock.
      There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
      The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
      The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
      The others, well......they just never learn.

      "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
      Patrick Henry.

      Comment

      • #18
        Gowking
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2008
        • 2664

        Well here's what I have to add. Is this an original barrel or US made? Are you using steel cased ammo or brass, factory or reloads?

        -G

        Comment

        • #19
          bigbob76
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2007
          • 3954

          Originally posted by TURBOELKY
          He must be riding the bolt carrier home.

          As far as parking, if the barrel is not chrome lined, I believe the rifling will get "etched", not sure what else. All I know, is its NOT a good situation....

          Cycle the AK, and Cock the crap out of it!!! Let the bolt carrier fly man!!!
          It seems like all the barrels I Parkerized became un-Parkerized after a few rounds
          Last edited by bigbob76; 04-03-2010, 11:08 PM. Reason: I caint spell
          If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

          Comment

          • #20
            Z ME FLY
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2008
            • 6590

            Originally posted by bigbob76
            It seems like all the barrels I Parkerized became un-Parkerized after a few rounds
            How long have they sat in the park for before? this is good to know
            Originally posted by 69Mach1
            The virgin requires more work (don't they all )

            Originally posted by 69Mach1
            Z gets around. lol

            Comment

            • #21
              ae13291
              Senior Member
              • May 2009
              • 556

              this may be a question only for saigas but does the gun you build have a correct feed ramp to chamber the bullet in?

              Comment

              • #22
                SVT-40
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2008
                • 12907

                AK rifles don't have "feed ramps" per say. They have bullet guides which act more on the cartridge case than the bullet it's self.

                Saiga rifles lack the bullet guides. This feature is combined with the front of the magazine in Saiga mags.
                Poke'm with a stick!


                Originally posted by fiddletown
                What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                Comment

                • #23
                  lokote
                  Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 253

                  ok i spent a while trying to figure out the problem and couldnt find anything wrong with it so i went ahead and shot it and it shot fine. it turns out that it was the ammo... i was using steel cased surplus ammo with hollow points and all 20 rounds were crappy, my gun was also having trouble ejecting them so it ran more like a bolt action. i went out and bought some wolf ammo this morning and it runs perfect so i guess it was the crappy ammo or maybe i needed to fire the rifle a bunch of times to break it in?

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    JamesY
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 2652

                    Originally posted by lokote
                    ok i spent a while trying to figure out the problem and couldnt find anything wrong with it so i went ahead and shot it and it shot fine. it turns out that it was the ammo... i was using steel cased surplus ammo with hollow points and all 20 rounds were crappy, my gun was also having trouble ejecting them so it ran more like a bolt action. i went out and bought some wolf ammo this morning and it runs perfect so i guess it was the crappy ammo or maybe i needed to fire the rifle a bunch of times to break it in?
                    Might be the ammo. I have a few AKs that don't like HP. When I load FMJ in them, they run fine (except for one that I'm still having a hard time with). Keep shooting the FMJ.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Vepr62
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 1216

                      ammo?

                      If ANY of my builds would chock on ANY ammo I would try to fix the issue, or even REBUILD the riffle. AK supposed to digest any and all ammo loaded to spec.

                      V.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        mrlonewolf
                        CGSSA Director - C3 Leader & Regional Gun Show Booth Coordinator (LA/OC/IE)
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Jul 2008
                        • 4003

                        Originally posted by nick
                        Alright, next question then. Did you parkerize the barrel?
                        Originally posted by Z ME FLY
                        Just curious how does parking mess the barrel up? I know if it isn't chrome lined, it would probably mess up the rifling yeah? I need to learn this stuff too.
                        Yep.
                        The un-chromed lined barrels can be affected and it's performance/integrity altered if you parkerized it.
                        Pretty much every single original barrel out there is chromed lined,....except for the "Yugos"..
                        When you park your "Yugo build", be sure you plug the chamber,muzzle and gas port.
                        It makes no sense to plug the muzzle and chamber and leave the gas port open for the solution to do his job. But it happens all the time.
                        If you are about to finish and/or parkerize your un-chromed barrel build, please PM me and I'll send you the needed and right sized neoprene plugs to get the job done.


                        The fine print.
                        Only one condition/reserve:
                        After you're done with the plugs, please forward them to the next builder in line.
                        Everything on my dime.
                        I'd just love to see a build done correctly......
                        Would you like to participate in the Right to Keep and Bear Arms movement in California?
                        Please visit the Calguns Community Chapter forum for your area and sign the roll call
                        California needs YOU.


                        sigpic

                        Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          mrlonewolf
                          CGSSA Director - C3 Leader & Regional Gun Show Booth Coordinator (LA/OC/IE)
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 4003

                          Originally posted by bigbob76
                          It seems like all the barrels I Parkerized became un-Parkerized after a few rounds
                          Yes. Mr. Bigbob76.

                          You're da***n right about this, and as one of the best builders in SoCal I take my hat off to you Sir....but.....

                          When you look at the grooves and lands pre. and post chemical treatment and just after a few hundred rounds trough the pipe, well.....
                          Let's the gang, gauge and visual inspection tell about it's experience.

                          Respectfully.
                          Would you like to participate in the Right to Keep and Bear Arms movement in California?
                          Please visit the Calguns Community Chapter forum for your area and sign the roll call
                          California needs YOU.


                          sigpic

                          Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            bigbob76
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2007
                            • 3954

                            Originally posted by mrlonewolf
                            Yes. Mr. Bigbob76.

                            You're da***n right about this, and as one of the best builders in SoCal I take my hat off to you Sir....but.....

                            When you look at the grooves and lands pre. and post chemical treatment and just after a few hundred rounds trough the pipe, well.....
                            Let's the gang, gauge and visual inspection tell about it's experience.

                            Respectfully.
                            Thanks for your kind words. I apologize if I came across as making light of paying attention to details. My actual experience with the first Romy I Parkerized was that I plugged both ends of the barrel and didn't even think about the gas hole. I freaked out when I saw the bore, I apparently didn't even have the plugs in tight enough. I thought I ruined my rifle. After I shot it and cleaned it I couldn't see anything but shiny chrome lining. I did a Polish rifle without plugs and couldn't see anything but shiny chrome after I shot it and cleaned it. I use epoxy based paint almost always now so I haven't given it any more thought. I recommend doing it the way you do it because I see the great results you get by paying attention to all the little details.
                            If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              ElvenSoul
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Apr 2008
                              • 17431

                              I believe Green Mountain Barrels are not Chrome Lined.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                uxo2
                                Veteran Member
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 4003

                                Originally posted by lokote
                                , my gun was also having trouble ejecting them so it ran more like a bolt action.

                                Thats Not right............

                                ream out you gas port with the supplied cleaning tool...

                                and gives us a picture of the ammo you were using that was causing FTE's
                                Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
                                Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
                                One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
                                George Patton

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1