Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Torque device for portable tool pack

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Dirtlaw
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Apr 2018
    • 3480

    Originally posted by kcstott
    Incorrect terms. a "reference' is not a noun. It's a verb. You reference a "Standard". If your torque wrench can not be reference to a standard then it is "out of calibration" and it can still be used in a "for reference only" setting. If you want to pick it appart further a torque wrench will apply a given pound inch,foot or Newton/meter to a fastener or other device within a given degree of uncertainty. Thats that 10% we were talking about.

    the thing is we are talking about wrenches the hold a base on an action, a ring on base, and a scope in a ring. if we are closer then 10% is it going to matter? Vortex states on some of their scope no more than 18 pound/inches so are we really concerned with +/- .9 pound inches??

    My wife, a former cheerleader and English major wants to meet you! [I have no control over that woman. She is a wild one.]



    I think we may actually be saying the same thing!

    Comment

    • #17
      kcstott
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2011
      • 11796

      Originally posted by Dirtlaw



      I think we may actually be saying the same thing!
      Not according to ISO, ASME, and NIST we're not.

      Like you said it's a language. I'm using the language that 33 years in a tool room has taught me. I'm not picking apart what you said, nor how you said it. Just the words you choose to get there.

      Comment

      • #18
        Dirtlaw
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Apr 2018
        • 3480

        Originally posted by kcstott
        Not according to ISO, ASME, and NIST we're not.

        Like you said it's a language. I'm using the language that 33 years in a tool room has taught me. I'm not picking apart what you said, nor how you said it. Just the words you choose to get there.

        On this topic I gladly defer to a tool machinist of your stature. You guys are true heroes of what the Country should be. My hat's off to you.

        Comment

        • #19
          'ol shooter
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 4646

          Originally posted by ar15barrels
          Put your fat wrench on a calibrator some day and see what it actually does.
          I did compare it to my old Proto in. lb. wrench, it's close enough for mounting rails and rings.
          sigpic
          Bob B.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(")

          Comment

          • #20
            67Cuda
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2013
            • 1718

            Do manufacturers of firearms and or accessories give torque specs? I haven't looked, nor have I ever seen any.
            Mounting rails, scopes or rings using a torque wrench is like me using one to put on an oil filter.
            Originally posted by ivanimal
            People that call other member stupid get time off.
            So much for being honest.

            Comment

            • #21
              smoothy8500
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 3846

              Originally posted by 67Cuda
              I haven't looked, nor have I ever seen any....
              Mounting rails, scopes or rings using a torque wrench is like me using one to put on an oil filter.
              Hmmmm...Not "absolutely necessary", but at least one knows it was properly tightened without being ham-fisted where damage occurs. And yes, most scope rings, mounts, and action screws/stock have mfr-specified torque values somewhere in the instructions and/or website.
              Last edited by smoothy8500; 11-20-2022, 11:37 AM.

              Comment

              • #22
                Dirtlaw
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Apr 2018
                • 3480

                Originally posted by smoothy8500
                Hmmmm...Not "absolutely necessary", but at least one knows it was properly tightened without being ham-fisted where damage occurs. And yes, most scope rings, mounts, and action screws/stock have mfr-specified torque values somewhere in the instructions and/or website.

                If I were installing a door hinge I might not give much thought to the torque that was being applied, but risking damage to an expensive scope or ruining the threads of a receiver ups my motivation to use a greater degree of care.

                Comment

                • #23
                  'ol shooter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 4646

                  My largest concern was dealing with threads in aluminum since I have assembled several Ruger 10/22's. The receivers are about as hard as room temperature butter, and the tales of stripped threads abound. I limit the torque to 14 in. lb. with my lowly Fat Wrench and so far have escaped the stripped threads boogeyman after fourteen build-ups. I do use a drop of mild locking compound so they stay put.
                  sigpic
                  Bob B.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    kcstott
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2011
                    • 11796

                    Originally posted by 67Cuda
                    Do manufacturers of firearms and or accessories give torque specs? I haven't looked, nor have I ever seen any.
                    Mounting rails, scopes or rings using a torque wrench is like me using one to put on an oil filter.
                    Some do. The higher end manufacturers definitely do.
                    Use of a torque wrench does two things.
                    1. Everything is consistent and correct.
                    2. More importantly it prevents you from paying a guy to extract a stuck screw.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      kcstott
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Nov 2011
                      • 11796

                      Originally posted by Dirtlaw
                      If I were installing a door hinge I might not give much thought to the torque that was being applied, but risking damage to an expensive scope or ruining the threads of a receiver ups my motivation to use a greater degree of care.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Dirtlaw
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Apr 2018
                        • 3480


                        Locktite is a tool. I hesitate to say never (though I am far more hesitant to say always).

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          kcstott
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2011
                          • 11796

                          Originally posted by Dirtlaw
                          Locktite is a tool. I hesitate to say never (though I am far more hesitant to say always).
                          Nope. I stand firm on "Never" not even 222 the low strength purple stuff.

                          High thread per inch screws already resist backing out due to vibration. With attention to detail as in not using the garbage screws that came with your mount. Making sure the head is the correct configuration to the socket it will go in, Making sure the tool you are using is correct and fits properly, Cleaning everything with alcohol or acetone before assembly. Applying a tiny amount of lubrication and rust prevention to the threads. Applying proper torque and a proper set technique to the fastener.

                          Ive had the great displeasure to remove more than my fair share of screws that the owner decided to use loctite on then use the wrong tool and bugger the head. there is no reason for this.

                          If your stuff is vibrating loose you either have a bad thread, a bad design where the incorrect screws were used or you need to pay closer attention to your fasteners and do some maintenance once in a while.

                          I've fixed issues by drilling and rethreading the hole up one size from a 6-48 that was cut with a dull tap to a 8-40. It sucks doing this because you need to open everything up. Holes and counter bores need to be enlarged to accommodate the new screw. Sometimes you can just tap something a little deeper and use a longer screw. but that's only on the rare occasion that is was a blind hole in a mount. that will not be the case on a bolt gun receiver.

                          By the way. every bolt gun I own that has a scope mounted to it was drilled and rethreaded to 8-40. will all but my Marlin 336 thats still 6-48 but the threads are perfect too so what can I say 1974 manufacture when they cared about what they made. They 8-40 screw allows for better fitting tools and higher clamping forces.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            chris21
                            Member
                            • Nov 2015
                            • 170

                            You guys use torque wrenches? I’m more of a one ugga or two ugga type of guy

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              kcstott
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Nov 2011
                              • 11796

                              well it depends on what you want out of you systems. My F class guns get treated completely different than most of my other stuff. they are treated like objects of obsession. picked over methodically, everything logged in a note book. Round count, last time the rifle was cleaned, tuner settings, bottom out elevation position, etc. nothing left to chance.

                              Firearms that I trust my life too? Yeah every precaution is taken to make sure they are correct and will not fail when needed most. reminders placed on calendars to change batteries in optics and lights. nothing left to chance.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1