Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

444 Marlin. Odd gouges in chamber - failure to eject - brass marks.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Spyder
    CGN Contributor
    • Mar 2008
    • 17280

    That seems to be the consensus. Thanks everyone.

    I ordered that barrel from Numrich. Now, to find a local smith in the north SF bay area that can do good work...

    Comment

    • #17
      rromeo
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2009
      • 6981

      Just out of general curiosity, is your barrel stamped New Haven CT or North Haven? I'm a bit of a Marlin nerd. They moved factories between 1969 and 1970.
      Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

      - from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
      (Revised Eastern Sect Edition)

      Comment

      • #18
        Spyder
        CGN Contributor
        • Mar 2008
        • 17280

        Had to look, it's North Haven.

        Now I'm curious what the new incorrect barrel will be! The ad says "all original markings intact" or something similar, so hopefully it's stamped correctly and has the JM stamp too. This one, the JM is on the right side. I'm pretty sure all my others are on the left.

        Comment

        • #19
          slamfire1
          Banned
          • Aug 2015
          • 794

          I would say a chip of something got on the reamer during manufacture, created a gouge, and yet the rifle went bang and was shipped.

          I don't see anything solution other than a new barrel.

          Comment

          • #20
            rromeo
            Calguns Addict
            • Sep 2009
            • 6981

            The new barrel will most definitely be North Haven. They moved from New Haven to North Haven 1969-1970. So some 1970 guns still had the older barrels.
            Bad news, if it is in fact a brand new barrel, it will not have a JM stamp. Those were proof marks, so the barrel was stamped after the rifle was complete and test fired. As a big Marlin collector, I don't actually care about JM stamps. I know where the guns were built from the serial number, and rollmarks, so the proof mark isn't a big deal to me.
            1970 was also around the time the stamp moved to the left side of the barrel. There's no significance on which side.
            Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

            - from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
            (Revised Eastern Sect Edition)

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1