Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

444 Marlin. Odd gouges in chamber - failure to eject - brass marks.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Spyder
    CGN Contributor
    • Mar 2008
    • 17280

    444 Marlin. Odd gouges in chamber - failure to eject - brass marks.

    Older Marlin from 1970. See photos, but it has really odd gouges in the inside of the chamber which, when fired, cause the brass to flow in to the void and make it very difficult to extract.

    The shorter Hornady Leverevolution brass ejects, but still marks the brass the same, just not the really bad spot near the mouth which I assume causes the extraction problems.

    I fired a couple of the Hornady rounds out of it on paper and it is accurate, and then fired a couple rounds of R-P factory stuff and noticed the brass marks when it jammed up and had to be beaten open.

    What the heck could have caused this, and...I assume...not repairable without finding a replacement barrel?
    Last edited by Spyder; 03-05-2021, 11:57 AM.
  • #2
    'ol shooter
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 4646

    Maybe flame cutting from a case failure? Ask around on the Marlin Forum, maybe someone there can offer a repair strategy.
    The chamber on my .444 Sporter is fine and it's still a PITA to cycle the action.

    MarlinOwners.com is a community of Marlin Firearm Owners - Dedicated to discussing Marlin Firearms, Marlin Rifles and more. Pictures, help, discussions and more.
    sigpic
    Bob B.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Comment

    • #3
      Pofoo
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2009
      • 1689

      Somebody shooting 44 mag?

      Comment

      • #4
        TKM
        Onward through the fog!
        CGN Contributor
        • Jul 2002
        • 10657

        That's officially the weirdest thing I've seen today.

        The naked screaming weirdo lost out by a hair.
        It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

        Comment

        • #5
          Spyder
          CGN Contributor
          • Mar 2008
          • 17280

          My first thought was that someone had a stuck case after a head separation and that they jammed a bolt down in the chamber to pull the stuck case out.

          A good gunsmith I know said the only thing he could think of was that when it was made way back 50 years ago, swarf got caught in the reamer and made those grooves, but the pitch didn't seem right, and asked if it looked like it had been shot much...which would go hand in hand with that theory. It seems to cycle fine. No more difficult than my 45-70 or any of my other many Marlins...though I haven't done them side by side yet.

          I don't know what caused it, but it's very annoying. Numrich has a 22 1/2" barrel (these came with 24" back then) for 1975 and later guns, and I don't know if it would fit this one or not. I haven't had time to try and source the proper barrel anywhere else, and won't for the next several days.

          But it's an interesting odd find, for sure. Hopefully someone has ideas, and hopefully it helps someone else out in the future too.

          Pofoo, that's possible I suppose, but I wouldn't think that it would gas etch in a perfect 2 ring spiral like that all the way around. It looks like a really course thread pattern to me.
          Last edited by Spyder; 08-10-2020, 7:01 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            Spyder
            CGN Contributor
            • Mar 2008
            • 17280

            Originally posted by TKM
            That's officially the weirdest thing I've seen today.

            The naked screaming weirdo lost out by a hair.

            I take it the naked screaming weirdo was shaved?

            Comment

            • #7
              G-forceJunkie
              Calguns Addict
              • Jul 2010
              • 6485

              Short of someone getting in thee with steel tools (seperated case head?) i'm guessing it's a bad chambering job from the factory. Dull reamer, packed up chips, etc.

              Comment

              • #8
                rromeo
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2009
                • 6981

                I don't know what happened, but if you need a barrel, Numrich has them for $60. It's for a 444S, so 22" , not 24" like yours , but it is a new barrel.
                Check out the deal on Barrel, .444 Cal., 22-1/2" Round, Blued, New Factory Original (Pre Sept 1975) at Numrich Gun Parts


                Edited, because I just saw that you know about the Numrich barrels. If it's before 1975, it was made for barrel bands, like yours, and should work, but maybe just a little fitting required. Late '75 and later used the forend cap, so they would be harder to make work.
                Last edited by rromeo; 08-10-2020, 8:01 PM.
                Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

                - from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
                (Revised Eastern Sect Edition)

                Comment

                • #9
                  prob
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 1355

                  I’d snag one of those $60 barrels and be done with it. I can think of no easy or cost effective remedy to repair those gouges.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mrlonewolf
                    CGSSA Director - C3 Leader & Regional Gun Show Booth Coordinator (LA/OC/IE)
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 4003

                    Cut your losses and have a cold one.



                    Lonewolf.
                    Would you like to participate in the Right to Keep and Bear Arms movement in California?
                    Please visit the Calguns Community Chapter forum for your area and sign the roll call
                    California needs YOU.


                    sigpic

                    Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      rromeo
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 6981

                      And I will add, losing the 2" of barrel length affects the originality of the gun, but you won't be disappointed in the performance.
                      Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

                      - from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
                      (Revised Eastern Sect Edition)

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Spyder
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 17280

                        Originally posted by rromeo
                        I don't know what happened, but if you need a barrel, Numrich has them for $60. It's for a 444S, so 22" , not 24" like yours , but it is a new barrel.
                        Check out the deal on Barrel, .444 Cal., 22-1/2" Round, Blued, New Factory Original (Pre Sept 1975) at Numrich Gun Parts


                        Edited, because I just saw that you know about the Numrich barrels. If it's before 1975, it was made for barrel bands, like yours, and should work, but maybe just a little fitting required. Late '75 and later used the forend cap, so they would be harder to make work.
                        This rifle is a 1970, those barrels are for Sept '75 and later, so it is not a direct fit?

                        ETA: I see, those ARE pre '75, the other one I found was post 75. I did not find the pre-75 when I looked earlier.

                        Now...what's it take to swap a barrel on one of these? It's not a project I've done before... ETA: quick looking, it takes tools I don't have and time I won't see in the near future. Guess I should shop around for a smith that can do it for me.

                        Originally posted by rromeo
                        And I will add, losing the 2" of barrel length affects the originality of the gun, but you won't be disappointed in the performance.
                        Yea. I'm already screwed on it staying original and functional unless I stumble on the right barrel on ebay. Which there isn't one currently.
                        Last edited by Spyder; 08-10-2020, 8:38 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rromeo
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 6981

                          Yours being a 1970, does it have the medallion in the stock?
                          Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

                          - from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
                          (Revised Eastern Sect Edition)

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Spyder
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Mar 2008
                            • 17280

                            No medallion. It is the funky high comb stock, but without medallion.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Fjold
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 23067

                              It looks like a chip was caught in the reamer flutes during the manufacturing and it gouged the chamber..
                              Frank

                              One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




                              Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1