Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 extractor problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hntnnut
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2008
    • 1066

    1911 extractor problem

    I found an old 1911 frame boxed away my pa had bought for me way back when I was in high school. It was a complete mixed part gun in .45 acp back then, but I sold all the parts except the frame,me having big plans for the gun. It ended up getting put in a box and forgotten for over 30 years. Now back to a couple 3 weeks ago its back in the lime light and I've decided to build a 9mm with it. All the parts have been bought and I've been piddling with it in the evening and I've hit a snag with the extractor. The slide I am working with is a Remington R1 enhanced NOS I found on ebay and the extractor is a Wilson Combat for a 9mm/ 38 super.
    The problem I'm having is there appears to be excessive space between the hook of the extractor and the breech face and even with excessive extractor tension I can't get it to properly hold a case. I'm wondering if something is out of spec or if maybe I have a 40/45 extractor. I don't know what measurements I can take or even what to reference them to. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've included a pic for reference.

    Richard
    "This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
    Abe Lincoln

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • #2
    hntnnut
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2008
    • 1066

    Pic didn't upload,

    "This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
    Abe Lincoln

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Comment

    • #3
      CifaldiPrecision
      Vendor/Retailer
      • Aug 2012
      • 1806

      1911 extractor problem

      When fitting the extractor did you do anything other than add tension? The pad behind the hook usually needs to be filed and shaped allowing the hook to swing in more.

      Start there and then once tension is correct and the extractor face has been properly shaped then measure the gap between breach face and hook.

      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Brett Cifaldi
      Specializing in 1911s
      Cifaldi Precision

      Comment

      • #4
        ironhorse1
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2012
        • 1005

        Wow that looks a bit off!

        Is your slide an 80 series?

        I replaced a 9mm extractor with the Wilson Combat series 80 style 101S80. Wilson Combat Match Grade Extractor for series 80 Style .38 Super/9mm autos

        I needed to remove a small amount of material from the pad to achieve the proper tension.

        Checking Midway there are at least three different extractors available.

        The OAL of the original extractor is 2.695"

        The amount of protrusion of your extractor appears to be about twice the protrusion of the wilson in mine.
        Last edited by ironhorse1; 07-27-2020, 10:29 AM.

        Comment

        • #5
          hntnnut
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2008
          • 1066

          Yes its a series 80 slide the part# I had ordered is 415-S80, no filling yet as I was concerned with the gap between the breech face and and the back of the case.

          Richard
          "This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
          Abe Lincoln

          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

          Comment

          • #6
            ironhorse1
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2012
            • 1005

            At this point I would just increase the tension. If the extractor is fully up against the channel then adjust the pad.

            If there is a space then bend the extractor a little by pulling it back out about halfway and then bend slightly. The extractor hole becomes the bending jig.

            Test tension by seeing if it will extract a cartridge not just a case.

            The magazine should be fully loaded. Mine would drop the cartridge once the case rim hit the next round in the mag.

            Once it is right you will know.

            Comment

            • #7
              'ol shooter
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 4646

              This is what a well profiled extractor looks like:

              If it won't hold an empty case when the slide is held horizontally, either tension is off or extractor claw is not correct. Replacements are cheap and plentiful.
              sigpic
              Bob B.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(")

              Comment

              • #8
                mtenenhaus
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2007
                • 3416

                here's a nice little review of tuning the 1911 extractor in case you're interested:

                Comment

                • #9
                  CifaldiPrecision
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Aug 2012
                  • 1806

                  Keep in mind 9mm extractors are setup different than 45 extractors. A 45 should have contact of the case rim to the extractor and not the hook nose where as the 9mm is opposite. Hook nose contact to the case and the case rim should not make contact to the extractor.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Brett Cifaldi
                  Specializing in 1911s
                  Cifaldi Precision

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ironhorse1
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2012
                    • 1005

                    That's some good info.

                    'Ol shooter's picture is of a .45 extractor with a very small pad. Nice picture BTW.

                    The 9mm extractor is not as wide and the two I have the pads are longer.

                    As long as the op can make his work great.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      jimmykan
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 3103

                      Originally posted by CifaldiPrecision
                      Keep in mind 9mm extractors are setup different than 45 extractors. A 45 should have contact of the case rim to the extractor and not the hook nose where as the 9mm is opposite. Hook nose contact to the case and the case rim should not make contact to the extractor.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Can you post some pictures to show what you mean? I'm not visualizing the difference.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CifaldiPrecision
                        Vendor/Retailer
                        • Aug 2012
                        • 1806

                        Brett Cifaldi
                        Specializing in 1911s
                        Cifaldi Precision

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          mtenenhaus
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • 3416

                          towards the bottom of the page you'll find a discussion of the 9mm extractor fit:
                          Because of Photobucket's new policy of not allowing common folks like me to link our pictures on their site into discussion forums unless we gave them $400 all of my pictures here have been blocked. So at the request of several members I've spent time over the course of the past couple of weeks...


                          nice description here as well: https://www.bunkerarms.com/post/extr...gement-45vs9mm
                          Last edited by mtenenhaus; 07-28-2020, 4:12 AM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            tr6guns
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2013
                            • 646

                            Probably a stupid question, but is it a 45 slide or a 9mm slide?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              jimmykan
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 3103

                              I see the 45ACP scenario, and can now visualize the opposite scenario for 9mm.

                              Why should they be opposite, though?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1