Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

PSL Barrels

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57180

    Originally posted by kcstott
    See my fear in building something like that, is how the barrel locks up. if i get a crap or slightly out of spec receiver then the threads won't be timed correctly. and someone else gets a slightly looser or tighter receiver and my barrel don't work.

    I'd have to see a complete weapon to look at what I'd be allowed to get away with. but typically interrupted threads have to be timed just right or they're scrap. that requires a at least on a manual machine that the barrel needs to hit a fixed stop in the spindle to have the threads start and stop at the same place every time. i.e. fixturing and proper set up just to run one small feature on the barrel. again not fun on a manual machine.
    I would cut the threads first, then thread it into the receiver and mark where it wants to index.
    Then pull it back out and cut the interruption and the locking channel.
    You could sell barrels to guys and let THEM do the locking channel and the interruption cuts themselves.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #17
      kcstott
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2011
      • 11796

      Originally posted by ar15barrels
      I would cut the threads first, then thread it into the receiver and mark where it wants to index.
      Then pull it back out and cut the interruption and the locking channel.
      You could sell barrels to guys and let THEM do the locking channel and the interruption cuts themselves.
      Unless i'm missing something that wouldn't work.

      The threads have to be timed to allow a quick change of the barrel without loss of headspace regardless of the interruption, 6 TPI Acme gives me a little fudge factor but I still have to be within 5 degrees of starting point I'm guessing, or the barrel would lock up to soon or too late in relation to headspace.

      And again unless I'm missing something

      Comment

      • #18
        kalibeltfeeder
        Member
        • Feb 2014
        • 450

        Yeah your right, it would have to be in spec if used for quick change... But the average builder is just building a one off, most the time doing a re-weld, and in semi, the barrel will never be changed... so the gun could 'headspace' off the barrel, as long as it was indexed pretty close, I.e lockup channel, extractor cut, and interrupted threads all lined up, especially if one of the cuts is between the front of the receiver and the receiver shoulder...

        But still I don't blame you for not wanting to mess with them..
        I think you could easily sell a batch of PSLs though, put them on Gunbroker.
        But I don't come 'round here to meet nice people anyway
        And what the hell am I doing drunk in the middle of the day

        Comment

        • #19
          kcstott
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2011
          • 11796

          6 TPI Acme .166" per rev or .00046" per degree
          That's why i said five degrees of start .0023" I'd be within headspace is i was on center.

          It always facinated me how the germans did it back in the day. and the only way i can gather they did was one dedicated machine that did nothing but cut threads,
          It would actually be easier to cut with the interrupt as that would give you something to time it with. But again something like this, that has to be perfect, I need a spec, I won't put my name on a product thats good enough

          Comment

          • #20
            7.62user
            Member
            • Jan 2014
            • 281

            Originally posted by kcstott
            6 TPI Acme .166" per rev or .00046" per degree
            That's why i said five degrees of start .0023" I'd be within headspace is i was on center.

            It always facinated me how the germans did it back in the day. and the only way i can gather they did was one dedicated machine that did nothing but cut threads,
            It would actually be easier to cut with the interrupt as that would give you something to time it with. But again something like this, that has to be perfect, I need a spec, I won't put my name on a product thats good enough

            I might have a complete demill barrel with 3 holes in it and good front section with a lock. Will it work to get specs? If it will work I'll look for it tonight.

            Comment

            • #21
              kcstott
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Nov 2011
              • 11796

              Originally posted by 7.62user
              I might have a complete demill barrel with 3 holes in it and good front section with a lock. Will it work to get specs? If it will work I'll look for it tonight.
              I'd like to see it. and i'd cover your cost to ship it.

              Comment

              • #22
                7.62user
                Member
                • Jan 2014
                • 281

                I found them. Front portion is cut in half. I tried to get a barrel to lock and couldn't do it. Let me know if this will work. Thanks a lot.
                Last edited by 7.62user; 04-19-2017, 9:36 PM.

                Comment

                • #23
                  kcstott
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 11796

                  Originally posted by 7.62user
                  I found them. Front portion is cut in half. I tried to get a barrel to lock and couldn't do it. Let me know if this will work. Thanks a lot.
                  It should but right now i have no idea when i could even attempt a go at it.
                  Last edited by kcstott; 04-12-2017, 8:50 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    kcstott
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2011
                    • 11796

                    I did just order three blanks though. little more money than i wanted to spend. but turned between centers will help in the production process and they are 1.2" od not 1.375 so there's about four passes I won't have to take.

                    i'm going to make these up as Romy replacements and have them available in about two months.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      kcstott
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Nov 2011
                      • 11796

                      Rant on: Received three requests for barrels, replied with pricing, no response??

                      Guess they think a PSL barrel should be $99 + free shipping and in stock.

                      rant off

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57180

                        Originally posted by kcstott
                        Rant on: Received three requests for barrels, replied with pricing, no response??

                        Guess they think a PSL barrel should be $99 + free shipping and in stock.
                        I gave my advice on this earlier...

                        Originally posted by ar15barrels
                        LOTS of people will tell you they will buy one and then those very same people are nowhere to be found when you are ready for payment.
                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          kcstott
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2011
                          • 11796

                          Originally posted by ar15barrels
                          I gave my advice on this earlier...
                          Yeah but with my work schedule I can't take a deposit. I just find it funny that a guy will spend all kinds of money on a PSL kit, then invest in receiver of some sort, Type out a full page email, only to have a bad case of sticker shock when it comes time for a barrel.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1