Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Removing screws.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57177

    Originally posted by SonofWWIIDI
    And frankly, wouldn't it be worth a try?
    Nope.
    It would destroy the screw.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #17
      Zamble
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2011
      • 2354

      I went to Brownells and ordered the Browning A5 bit set. Hopefully that works.

      Comment

      • #18
        CASEC
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2012
        • 884

        Ill give you the poor mans solution that mimics Randall's mill recommendation. Use it at your own risk and be careful with the finish and crushing thin walled parts. I take a standard smooth walled and vice pad the backside where the work piece is touching. Then i fit my hex bit screw head snuggly in the screw and close the vice with a little pressure. Then i take my wrench and start turning the screw just a bit. I can generally turn it just enough to break loose a stuck screw without messing up the screw head. Once its loose I can remove it as usual.
        A Lawyer, but not your lawyer unless you have a signed retainer agreement.

        Comment

        • #19
          Jon Road King
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2012
          • 926

          Originally posted by ar15barrels
          I have had excellent luck using the milling machine to remove stubborn screws.
          I clamp the part in the mill vise, center up the quill over the screw, then put a 1/4" hex extension bit holder in the drill chuck.
          Now I put the proper fitting bit in the holder.
          Applying pressure to the quill handle will allow you to keep the bit from camming upwards while you turn the drill chuck by hand to turn remove the screw.
          This method is FAR more solid than any type of handheld screwdriver.
          And that's why I troll these threads... excellent!
          I had never even thought of that. Gonna have to file that way back in my mind next time I get a tough screw...
          "Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake."

          --- Napoleon

          Comment

          • #20
            67Cuda
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2013
            • 1720

            Was there Loctite used on the screws? Wouldn't hurt to put some heat on them with a mini butane torch. If you use some of the methods stated, you could risk twisting the head off, but that's always a risk.
            Originally posted by ivanimal
            People that call other member stupid get time off.
            So much for being honest.

            Comment

            • #21
              bountyhunter
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 3423

              Originally posted by Zamble
              I am trying to take apart a Browning semi automatic 12 gauge. I am having a hell of a time removing the screws to disassemble it. The shotgun is in okay shape and I don't want to do anything to mess it up. I have sprayed PB Blaster on it and go out occasionally to try to remove the screw, but no joy. On top of that, the bit and screwdriver tips break off.

              Any suggestions how to loosen it up or where I can get stronger screwdrivers so the tip won't break off? Only the smallest ones will fit in the head to even try it.
              You have to get driver heads that have the correct blade thickness to match the screw EXACTLY and then grind the width to match. In some cases I have ground blade thicknesses as well to get perfect match. So many people use whatever is the right width and tear up the screws because the blade is too thin.

              Comment

              • #22
                Zamble
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2011
                • 2354

                Hopefully the A5 bit kit from Brownells will be a perfect match.

                Comment

                • #23
                  RustyIron
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • 570

                  Originally posted by ar15barrels
                  I clamp the part in the mill vise, center up the quill over the screw, then put a 1/4" hex extension bit holder in the drill chuck.
                  Now I put the proper fitting bit in the holder.
                  Applying pressure to the quill handle will allow you to keep the bit from camming upwards while you turn the drill chuck by hand to turn remove the screw.
                  Dude. That's a kick *** idea. I may not use it this year... or this decade... but someday I may need to do this. Thanks.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    TexasJackKin
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2014
                    • 718

                    As stated above the bit fit needs to be VERY precise. I've got a tool that fits my aircraft rivet gun, that allows you to "rattle" the screw while you apply torque to loosen the screw. This has allowed me to remove many tight screws, as well as screws with striped heads. Easy outs are only a solution of LAST resort.
                    Mike M.
                    Dayton, NV
                    NRA Life member
                    Front Sight DG
                    CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, CA & AZ
                    Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      CSACANNONEER
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 44094

                      Originally posted by ar15barrels
                      I have had excellent luck using the milling machine to remove stubborn screws.
                      I clamp the part in the mill vise, center up the quill over the screw, then put a 1/4" hex extension bit holder in the drill chuck.
                      Now I put the proper fitting bit in the holder.
                      Applying pressure to the quill handle will allow you to keep the bit from camming upwards while you turn the drill chuck by hand to turn remove the screw.
                      This method is FAR more solid than any type of handheld screwdriver.
                      Note to self, REMEMBER THIS!
                      NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                      California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                      Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                      Utah CCW Instructor


                      Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                      sigpic
                      CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                      KM6WLV

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        grymster
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2009
                        • 4724

                        I like AR15's suggestion. By the time I've fixtured something in a milling machine, I usually just drill out the offending screw.

                        On delicate items, I've sprayed with a lubricant, then placed screwdiver in slot and hammered (gently, but thoroughly) for a spell here and there. I use a a light brass hammer. The vibration often lets the lubricant work its way in and I've had a lot of success with this.
                        grym

                        Lay me dun in the caul caul grun.....

                        caput ferrum equus ego veho

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57177

                          Originally posted by TexasJackKin
                          I've got a tool that fits my aircraft rivet gun, that allows you to "rattle" the screw while you apply torque to loosen the screw.

                          I have one of those that goes in my air riveter for larger bolts where you can't just put the item in the milling machine (motorcycle engine!)

                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            ar15barrels
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 57177

                            Originally posted by RustyIron
                            Dude. That's a kick *** idea.

                            Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                            Note to self, REMEMBER THIS!

                            Originally posted by grymster
                            I like AR15's suggestion.

                            Y'all need to spend more time around old machinists.
                            These are the kinds of things you pick up in a machine shop...
                            Randall Rausch

                            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              CSACANNONEER
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Dec 2006
                              • 44094

                              Originally posted by ar15barrels
                              Y'all need to spend more time around old machinists.
                              These are the kinds of things you pick up in a machine shop...
                              I worked in a machine shop for a while during college. The head machinist was over 80 and could only work part time. Anyway, old "Smitty" did teach me how to make a left handed tap out of a right handed tap using nothing more than a bench grinder. So, I do know what you mean. The old guys who are true machinists and not just CNC monkeys are a dying breed but, they are also a wealth of knowledge and old tricks.
                              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                              Utah CCW Instructor


                              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                              sigpic
                              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                              KM6WLV

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                thx1138x1
                                Junior Member
                                • Feb 2014
                                • 63

                                I'm surprised nobody mentioned EDM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1