Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

IDPA first time

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #91
    HighLander51
    Banned
    • Feb 2010
    • 5144

    Ronin2, I thought you were a shooter and a player, guess not. DVC not. Like I said earlier you mistook me for another guy, 'WHO' I don't know who, but that is a clue, what noise does an owl make? who, who, who, whose handle ends in 'WHO' I have seen this father/son team at Prado one time, first class 'Tactical Plumbers' which is the definition of a 17 time graduate of front sight and still can't do a Bill Drill in under 10 seconds, and who's day job is a plumber....But that doesn't stop them from telling you how to roll!

    Update, I thought the last time I went to West End was in late 2003, when a guy blew up his Benelli with a speed loader, but I was mistaken. It was the last USPSA match at West End, January 2004. The Cowboy dicks mugged the IPSC match the following month, and then the club sued the IPSC match directors over property, which actually belonged to the original Desert Section, and lost. So I have not been there in over 10 years this coming February....

    It's really too bad because after every IPSC match they would set up a shotgun and rifle stage. But it's all gone now.

    Comment

    • #92
      Kestryll
      Head Janitor
      • Oct 2005
      • 21613

      Originally posted by HighLander51
      So, Pizzer, do you just 'com'ment or 'com'pete? IDPA? Steel Challenge? USPSA? 3 gun?
      Originally posted by HighLander51
      However on to Pizzer's question, ... Now Pizzer, answer my question, do you compete?
      Originally posted by HighLander51
      therealnickb, do you prefer Pizzer or Nicky as your aka?
      I see you're working on getting yourself thrown out of the Competition forum just like you were banned from the Handgun forum.

      Let me save you some time replying.
      I do NOT need to hear your excuse, justification or even a damn word from you.

      All I need is you to read this and understand it.

      If you come up on my radar one more time you will be removed from Calguns permanently.

      No debate, no question, nothing.
      sigpic NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA Life Member / SAF Life Member
      Calguns.net an incorported entity - President.
      The Calguns Shooting Sports Assoc. - Vice President.
      The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
      DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
      Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.

      Comment

      • #93
        Moto
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2011
        • 854

        I think we scared off dirtrider. Looks like he removed his original post.

        Dirtrider,

        Sorry this thread turned ugly. I hope you continue with IDPA. It's an amazingly fun and addicting way to enjoy your firearm. Whatever your goal is the main thing is that you enjoy it.
        Freedom in the USA is not the freedom from offense. It is actually the freedom to offend.

        Comment

        • #94
          SEL
          Junior Member
          CGN Contributor
          • Aug 2013
          • 45

          Newcomer's Opinion

          Folks,

          I'm fairly new around here and like Dirtrider, I'm interested in trying IDPA (and perhaps other forms of competitive shooting). I confess that some of the posts in this thread have me wondering if I will encounter the same kind of attitude that aroused Kestryll's rebuke at the range when I decide to actually enter a competition. I trust that's not the case.

          For what it's worth, I hope Dirtrider will re-post his report. I'd like to read about his experience myself.

          Steve

          Comment

          • #95
            CalTeacher
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2010
            • 828

            Originally posted by SEL
            Folks,

            I'm fairly new around here and like Dirtrider, I'm interested in trying IDPA (and perhaps other forms of competitive shooting). I confess that some of the posts in this thread have me wondering if I will encounter the same kind of attitude that aroused Kestryll's rebuke at the range when I decide to actually enter a competition. I trust that's not the case.

            For what it's worth, I hope Dirtrider will re-post his report. I'd like to read about his experience myself.

            Steve
            I've never encountered anything but people who are willing to help out fellow shooters. Competitive shooters, at least in my experience, are pretty much always willing to help bring new shooters/competitors into the sport. What you're witnessing is the classic conflict between people who see competition as detrimental to training vs. folks who compete and disagree for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, the conflict usually turns into a pissing match on the internet, whereas it probably wouldn't in person. Go shoot a local match and I can almost guarantee you'll have fun. Welcome to the sport!

            Comment

            • #96
              Ronin2
              Banned
              • Jan 2011
              • 5563

              Originally posted by SEL
              Folks,

              I'm fairly new around here and like Dirtrider, I'm interested in trying IDPA (and perhaps other forms of competitive shooting). I confess that some of the posts in this thread have me wondering if I will encounter the same kind of attitude that aroused Kestryll's rebuke at the range when I decide to actually enter a competition. I trust that's not the case.

              For what it's worth, I hope Dirtrider will re-post his report. I'd like to read about his experience myself.

              Steve

              I stopped shooting IPSC/USPSA matches because in my opinion, there are a disproportionate number of guys like Highlander51 who dominate and set the tone for the matches. IDPA because of its rules that limit the amount of "gaming" that can be done with the guns/equipment and spirit of the discipline seems to attract fewer hyper competitive shooters. I have shot various IDPA matches around Southern California and have found very few of the overcompensating , hyper-competitive gamers of Highlandr52's ilk. I'm not saying IDPA doesnt have its share of gamers, its just that that type of shooter seems more attracted to the USPSA/IPSC format and too much gaming/ attitude usually isn't tolerated by IDPA match directors and participants.

              I highly reccommend IDPA as the best starting point for shooters new to competitive matches...if you want to speed up your game..then USPSA is a great option. USPSA matches can be a lot of fun, very intellectually and physically challenging and you will definitely meet some awesome people. They all try to ignore the Highlander51's.
              Last edited by Ronin2; 11-07-2013, 12:41 PM.

              Comment

              • #97
                Michael_Js
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2013
                • 1090

                For you locals, San Diego that is, there will be some of us going to Pala, on 11/23 for the IDPA matches! I'll be posting something in the San Diego section - come on down! I'm just a beginner, only done 2 matches at Iron Sights! It's fun!

                Come on down and check it out!
                These guys explain it pretty well: http://oceansidepistol.com/

                You don't need much! See you there!
                __________________
                Greater Seattle, WA!!
                NRA, IDPA, 2nd Call

                Comment

                • #98
                  TempleKnight
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 918

                  Originally posted by CalTeacher
                  I've never encountered anything but people who are willing to help out fellow shooters. Competitive shooters, at least in my experience, are pretty much always willing to help bring new shooters/competitors into the sport. What you're witnessing is the classic conflict between people who see competition as detrimental to training vs. folks who compete and disagree for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, the conflict usually turns into a pissing match on the internet, whereas it probably wouldn't in person. Go shoot a local match and I can almost guarantee you'll have fun. Welcome to the sport!
                  This tracks with my experience, also. I've been in some pretty heated threads on Calguns, but I've never had problem at the range. I'm pro-competition, but I think you have to find the sport that you like. I personally prefer 3Gun, with USPSA a close second. I enjoyed IDPA back in the day but in my area it's gotten too popular.

                  I've brought a lot of new shooters into the sport and I hope this internet discussion doesn't discourage anyone from coming out finding their sport.

                  PS: I'm not encouraging any new 3 gun shooters. I didn't get in to Superstition this year because of all the new shooters.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #99
                    3GunFunShooter
                    In Memoriam
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 2408

                    +1 for what CalTeacher and TempleKnight wrote. Could not agree more with them both!
                    If you can't shoot good, at least look good shooting

                    Comment

                    • USPSA GM
                      Member
                      • Nov 2013
                      • 316

                      IDPA and USPSA both have good and bad about them. But IDPA is just as gamer controlled as USPSA. At the top of the heap everyone takes advantage of every edge, or comes in 2nd.

                      Comment

                      • Ronin2
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2011
                        • 5563

                        Originally posted by TempleKnight
                        PS: I'm not encouraging any new 3 gun shooters. I didn't get in to Superstition this year because of all the new shooters.
                        Yup... I clearly waited a few seconds too long to get in this year as well.

                        Comment

                        • SEL
                          Junior Member
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Aug 2013
                          • 45

                          Thanks for the encouraging replies. I'm aware that sometimes people say things in a thread like this that they would probably not say face-to-face.

                          I have observed an IDPA match in San Diego area (Lemon Grove Gun Club) and the people that were shooting all seemed to be friendly and answered some questions about gear. So, I am going to dive in there and give it a try. Looks a lot more interesting than shooting at an indoor range!

                          I think I have what I need - 9mm M&P, Safariland Kydex holster, belt and a double magazine holder. They all are supposed to be IDPA legal.

                          I do want to go out to Pala and see what's going on there, so thanks for the invite MJ.

                          Comment

                          • bruceflinch
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 40155

                            Sorry I missed the OP....I have some qualifications.
                            Yes, I shot USPSA for 15 years & Yes, I still shoot IDPA occasionally & hold a SO Card for IDPA.
                            Yes, I think there was some dooshbaggery in this thread by the usual suspects..
                            I was never a "great" shooter but almost always had fun.
                            Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

                            I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

                            Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

                            Secret Club Member?.

                            Comment

                            • missiondude
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2008
                              • 1646

                              Originally posted by SEL
                              Thanks for the encouraging replies. I'm aware that sometimes people say things in a thread like this that they would probably not say face-to-face.

                              I have observed an IDPA match in San Diego area (Lemon Grove Gun Club) and the people that were shooting all seemed to be friendly and answered some questions about gear. So, I am going to dive in there and give it a try. Looks a lot more interesting than shooting at an indoor range!

                              I think I have what I need - 9mm M&P, Safariland Kydex holster, belt and a double magazine holder. They all are supposed to be IDPA legal.

                              I do want to go out to Pala and see what's going on there, so thanks for the invite MJ.
                              When did you observe the match at Lemon Grove? Was it last month? This months match will have 4 IDPA stages and 3 "Fun Shoot" stages one of which includes shooting at a flying clay target with your handgun. Come on out...
                              sigpicThe right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The original common sense gun law...

                              Comment

                              • SEL
                                Junior Member
                                CGN Contributor
                                • Aug 2013
                                • 45

                                I was there the middle of last month. It was very interesting. There were a couple of other guys watching the match as well. I now have the needed equipment, so if I can free up that Saturday morning, I would like to try it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1