Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need help w/ Dillon RL 550

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • echo6cavedog
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • May 2011
    • 945

    Need help w/ Dillon RL 550

    I picked up a Dillon RL 550 at an estate sale recently for $50. Good deal right? Problem is, it's not complete. What parts would I need to get this going. I currently load 9mm, .40 S&W, and .223 Rem on my Lee Classic Turret Press and RCBS Rock Chucker. I've been on the Dillon website and there's so much stuff that I think I need. I just want to be sure before I go dropping cash on stuff I don't need. Would I be better off contacting them? What do you guys think?




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    μολὼν λαβέ


    sigpic
  • #2
    huckberry668
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 1502

    There are so many parts it's impossible to tell you without seeing what you have. Get a hold of a manual here and verify every part.


    I have 2 of them, I may be able to help if you're in So. Cal around Pasadena areas.
    GCC
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    Don't count your hits and congratulate yourself, count your misses and know why.

    Comment

    • #3
      Rock6.3
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 2431

      Where are you, many would be willing to help.

      And you seriously scored a prize!

      Comment

      • #4
        echo6cavedog
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • May 2011
        • 945

        I'm in Spring Valley (East County San Diego). I downloaded a copy of the users manual last night and have yet to go through it. Seems daunting. My current presses aren't near as complicated.
        μολὼν λαβέ


        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          jericho89
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 1129

          From what I can see in the pics it looks like you will need a caliber kit. It is the shell plate and the brass buttons, the bolt that holds down the shell plate, the ball bearing and spring that gives tension to the shell plate and the thumb indexer, but check the manual on that.

          Comment

          • #6
            BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2009
            • 7079

            From what I can see. You also need the complete powder measure assembly with the powder die, the fail safe rod assembly, with the bell crank and the priming cam wire. Not the mention the other size priming shuttle assemble, Large or small depending on the one you have already.
            "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

            Comment

            • #7
              Voo
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2008
              • 1702

              Hey Echo6dog, I'm in San Diego as well.. I JUST re-set up my Dillon 550 last week. First time I've touched it in over 10 years as I normally use my 650.

              Just giving it a quick glance I can already tell you're only missing a few items. EX. the rod that advances the primer sled, the bolt that holds down the shell plates, probably the set screw that holds down the bolt, you're missing the shell plate as well, but that's specific to the caliber(s). Obviously you're missing all the dies and powder assembly stuff on top as well but you probably already knew that..

              Let me know if you need some help.
              Last edited by Voo; 01-12-2015, 6:59 PM.
              Aloha snackbar!

              Comment

              • #8
                Carsgunsandchics
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 3537

                As well to what's been listed above. The handle, don't waste your money on a regular ball handle, just get the $45 roller handle.
                Originally posted by fighterpilot562
                I am more of a sucker than a blower...

                Comment

                • #9
                  echo6cavedog
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • May 2011
                  • 945

                  Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate the help.


                  Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  μολὼν λαβέ


                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    9mmepiphany
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 8075

                    I just helped a friend re-hab an abused 650, so I'll share my experience.

                    The manual includes a parts list...which you'll need for the part numbers anyway...and an exploded view of all the parts.

                    Just go down the list, match the parts in the view, and see if you have the parts in your collection.

                    Dillon will replace many of the parts for free, but you'll have to cover the cost of the caliber specific parts. I think my buddy spent about $500 during the rehab
                    ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      randomBytes
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 1607

                      Definitely a score - and once you get it set up, not that complicated.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BajaJames83
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 6042

                        Nice come up looks like it's in good shape too.
                        The manual will get you going too.
                        If you ever need any parts / conversions I have a 550 with tons of stuff let me know.
                        I'm in North county
                        NRA Endowment Life Member
                        USMC 2001-2012

                        Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

                        John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
                        James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          echo6cavedog
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • May 2011
                          • 945

                          I'm going through the parts list of the three main components. Obviously, the powder drop system is missing altogether. The primer feed system is iffy at best. Missing mostly small parts like index ball and spring on the press. Placing a call this morning to Dillon as soon as they open for business. I'll definitely keep you San Diego guys in mind (Voo and BajaJames83).
                          μολὼν λαβέ


                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Rock6.3
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2010
                            • 2431

                            Originally posted by echo6cavedog
                            I'm going through the parts list of the three main components. Obviously, the powder drop system is missing altogether. The primer feed system is iffy at best. Missing mostly small parts like index ball and spring on the press. Placing a call this morning to Dillon as soon as they open for business. I'll definitely keep you San Diego guys in mind (Voo and BajaJames83).

                            You will have to buy a powder drop system.
                            For the other parts, send them a nice email and sign it with your mailing address. The parts are likely to just show up in your mailbox.

                            I bought a used 550B. I emailed that I bought a used 550B and I needed the following replacement parts because mine were damaged by the prior owner. The parts all arrived pretty rapidly at zero cost.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              9mmepiphany
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 8075

                              Yup, you're going to have to pay for the Powder Drop system
                              ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1