Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I need a press for depriming only - Update Post 57

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Khromo
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 742

    I need a press for depriming only - Update Post 57

    I have been reloading on an ancient Rockchucker and a Dillon RL 450B for decades. Recently I decided to spend some money on some more current presses. Since I am using a more involved (maybe "more anal") process these days, and I wanted to keep the spent primer residue off my expensive new presses, I decided to start using another press for decapping.

    I bought a $30 Lee Precision Reloader Press, only to find it has crude spent primer collection. I looked in the marketplace and on ebay, but couldn't find any reasonably priced used single stage presses.

    I am looking for a simple single stage press with a great spent primer collection system, and not necessarily anything else. I am leaning toward an RCBS Partner, Rockchucker, or maybe a Redding Boss, but the Rockchucker I have wasn't that reliable in catching primers, and I'm thinking someone must have a better idea.
    Last edited by Khromo; 07-22-2014, 12:16 PM.
    "Self defense is not a fashion show. A defensive handgun is not a little black dress, or a purse."
    Remember, the overwhelming majority of anti-gun thinkers are not stupid enough to be "afraid of guns." They are afraid of stupid/immature/crazy psycho people with guns.
    And as always, being friendly, courteous, and respectful is the easiest way to bend people to your will.
  • #2
    J-cat
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2005
    • 6626

    Get a Lee Hand Press. It has a great primer collection system: the ram holds 25 large or 40 small primers

    Comment

    • #3
      Spyguy
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2009
      • 7378

      I'm a reloading newbie, but I've been doing a lot of research on the topic as I start to get into reloading. From what I've read, depriming is one of the weak points of the Rockchucker: many people complaining about how messy it is and how many spent primers end up on the floor. Also the Rockchucker and the Redding Boss seem to me like overkill for a dedicated depriming press.

      My recommendation would be to buy a Lee Classic Turret press, which can be purchased new for less than $80. It is one of two presses that consistently gets praised for it's spent primer collection system (the other being the $300+ Forster Co-Ax).
      Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals

      Comment

      • #4
        BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
        Calguns Addict
        • Jul 2009
        • 7079

        Some folks get a simple Lee C-frame for decapping. Then there is the Harvey depriming tool. The advantage of the Harvey is it can be used while watching that big game in a comfy chair.
        Last edited by BigBronco; 07-23-2014, 6:35 AM.
        "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

        Comment

        • #5
          stilly
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jul 2009
          • 10685

          Originally posted by J-cat
          Get a Lee Hand Press. It has a great primer collection system: the ram holds 25 large or 40 small primers
          +10000

          THERE IS NO BETTER, FASTER, EASIER, SIMPLER, AND PORTABLE SOLUTION FOR DEPRIMING.

          And yes I yelled that. The Harvey is slower, the Dillon is slower, the on press resize/decap is slower. This IS the best choice for cheap decapping only.

          This Lee Hand Press with the Breech Lock system and the Lee Universal Decapper BEATS ALL OTHER ALTERNATIVES*.

          Total investment = about $50 ($40 + $10 + shipping) + add a green box of shell holders for $20 more if you want to just decap all kinds of brass.

          The Lee Classic Turret is at least twice as much and is not as simple or portable NOR anywhere near as fast. It is best suited for reloading purposes only, decapping, sure, it can decap very well and it DOES hold a lot of primers (tube down to the 5 gal bucket = LOTS), but the versatility of the Hand Press is unmatched. You can decap ALL boxer primers- Crimped or not with the hand press while you are watching TV, taking a dump, or even talking on the phone with someone. It is the ninja tool of reloading and the ONE thing that NOBODY can tell you to buy a Dillon for if they are serious...


          *- not counting robotic alternatives or paid staff alternatives that cost hundreds more...
          Last edited by stilly; 07-07-2014, 8:27 PM.
          7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

          Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



          And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

          Comment

          • #6
            Spyguy
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2009
            • 7378

            The other advantage to the Lee Classic is that the interchangeable turret feature will give you some additional functionality. Like you, I want to do depriming as a separate preliminary operation.

            I have a Lee Classic Turret Press and will be dedicating one turret plate as "utility" plate for depriming (using a Lee Universal Decapping Die), primer pocket swaging (using an RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Die), and bullet pulling (using an RCBS Collet Bullet Puller Die). I'll set up additional turret plates for handgun reloading dies (until the day I decide to upgrade to a Dillon progressive press). I'll be using a Rockchucker press for my rifle loads.
            Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals

            Comment

            • #7
              J-cat
              Calguns Addict
              • May 2005
              • 6626

              A dedicated turret press for depriming is interesting. You could mount several different universal depriming dies at once: a Redding, a Lee, etc. depending on how you feel that day. But I think the ultimate dedicated press for depriming is a Corbin. Nothing has more leverage than that roller bearing monster. You can deprime even with the decapping pin missing.

              Comment

              • #8
                357magnum
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2014
                • 1219

                Originally posted by Khromo
                I have been reloading on an ancient Rockchucker and a Dillon RL 450B for decades. Recently I decided to spend some money on some more current presses. Since I am using a more involved (maybe "more anal") process these days, and I wanted to keep the spent primer residue off my expensive new presses, I decided to start using another press for decapping.

                I bought a $30 Lee Precision Reloader Press, only to find it has crude spent primer collection. I looked in the marketplace and on ebay, but couldn't find any reasonably priced used single stage presses.

                I am looking for a simple single stage press with a great spent primer collection system, and not necessarily anything else. I am leaning toward an RCBS Partner, Rockchucker, or maybe a Redding Boss, but the Rockchucker I have wasn't that reliable in catching primers, and I'm thinking someone must have a better idea.
                I use the LEE clasic single stage press for just what you are asking for, depriming.
                It has a nipple fitting on the bottom of the ram with a vinyl tube attached, so the primers go straight down the center of the ram and into the tube.
                No more primers flying all over the place, works great.
                sigpic"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me."
                -Al Capone-

                Comment

                • #9
                  bohoki
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 20826

                  depriming and sizing too i mean it seems like a waste of effort

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    MrElectric03
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 1590

                    Not sure why you wouldn't use a progressive if that's what you have. I use my xl650 with a tool head that has a lee universal decap die. I can decap rounds faster than the case feeder can feed the cases. If you are really worried about anything getting dirty the only parts that will get dirty are the case feed body and tube.
                    Originally posted by ar15barrels
                    So you are throwing out 95% of reality to select the 5% of reality where you are actually right?
                    We must be on calguns...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Whiterabbit
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 7595

                      I've been thinking about this for many months now. I want the same (as some, not the OP necessarily). A case-fed, case kick-out automatic deprimer. For financial reasons, LEE is the obvious choice assuming the user does not mind shaking the case collater to fill the case tubes. I just don't know if there is a kick-out attachment that exists. would be nice.

                      Without a full solution, there's no way it can beat my single stage LEE classic cast. Primers drop through the ram, 100% containment. throughput is kept up by holding the next case between pointer finger and thumb, then removing the spent case by pinching it with the middle finger and back of the pointer finger. Slide out, slide the next case in, and the hand moves away to drop the clear case and pick up a new spent-prime case while the ram is in motion.

                      Sounds more complicated than it is. goes quick. Would still be nice to have a case-fed solution.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Divernhunter
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2010
                        • 8753

                        I use a RCBS Jr model and also use it for seating bullets. It has more feel than my Rockchucker due to less leverage.
                        A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                        NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                        SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rm1911
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 4073

                          There's something kinda cool about spent primers all over your garage floor. Or am I the only one
                          NRA Life Member since 1990

                          They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Whiterabbit
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 7595

                            you are the only one.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              MrElectric03
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 1590

                              ^^^agreed

                              What are your new presses OP?
                              Originally posted by ar15barrels
                              So you are throwing out 95% of reality to select the 5% of reality where you are actually right?
                              We must be on calguns...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1