Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Dillon Square B - New Setup!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tshong
    Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 122

    Dillon Square B - New Setup!

    Hello fellow calgunners! I'm setting up a new DSB and it seems something is "wrong." I followed the instruction manual, but none of the motion matches what I see on youtube. Rather than trying to explain by writing, I made a video here with my questions:



    Am I missing some part??
    Last edited by tshong; 06-16-2014, 11:23 PM.
  • #2
    xfer42
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Sep 2007
    • 709

    Run a 9mm case through it. The case pushes it up. The bar pulls it down.

    Comment

    • #3
      tshong
      Member
      • Jun 2011
      • 122



      Thank you.

      I should've came here first...

      The next thing I'm trying is putting the primer into the feeding tube and seeing how the primers are "presented" to the casing. My test starts with no casings, just throwing primers into the small primer magazine assembly feeding tube. Then pulling the crank handle up and down while watching the platform base disk rotate stage-to-stage. I'm finding the following datapoints:

      - primer punch sometimes presents no primer.
      - sometimes presents TWO primers stacked!
      - sometimes, it feels something is "stuck" and I can't push it any further (and I don't dare to try).
      - the tip of the small primer magazine assembly (blue-end plastic tip) is bent

      None of this feels safe.
      Last edited by tshong; 06-17-2014, 12:33 AM.

      Comment

      • #4
        stilly
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jul 2009
        • 10685

        For future reference, when you pay top dollar for any BLUE item, you are paying for that customer service. You SHOULD be on the phone with them first. That is why the prices are so high, well that and that you paid for extra *free parts up front...
        7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

        Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



        And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

        Comment

        • #5
          Leethe4th
          Banned
          • Feb 2014
          • 429

          Originally posted by tshong




          - primer punch sometimes presents no primer.
          - sometimes presents TWO primers stacked!
          - sometimes, it feels something is "stuck" and I can't push it any further (and I don't dare to try).
          - the tip of the small primer magazine assembly (blue-end plastic tip) is bent

          None of this feels safe.
          One of the inherent issues with the Dillon Square Deal and 555B is the plastic tip on the drop tube (primer magazine). Replace it with a XL650 primer magazine (part # 22032), which has a brass tip, and you will never, ever have that issue again. I've run my SD for over 12 years straight at about 15,000 rounds a year since putting the brass tip on. The only other thing I can think of is the primer seat punch may not be adjusted correctly. It is supposed to be right from the factory, and mine was, but it broke after 10 years, and I had to replace it and adjust it. Check the Dillon website, it's pretty easy, just a spring and set screw.
          Last edited by Leethe4th; 06-17-2014, 9:07 AM.

          Comment

          • #6
            JMP
            Internet Warrior
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Feb 2012
            • 17056

            Originally posted by stilly
            For future reference, when you pay top dollar for any BLUE item, you are paying for that customer service. You SHOULD be on the phone with them first. That is why the prices are so high, well that and that you paid for extra *free parts up front...
            I haven't dealt with them. How has it been from your personal experience. I normally hear good feedback about Hornady. But, I wonder why so many folks need to send back dies and get new parts.

            Comment

            • #7
              rm1911
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 4073

              As mentioned earlier you need to put a case in the powder stage. Also you need to lock down the powder thrower. That little hex nut on the side of it. It's actually a safety feature so that it doesn't throw powder without a case. The bar you're asking about is a secondary safety thing. The springs should snap bar back into place.

              I've had my SDB for over 20 years. Never had a problem at all. Cranks of ammo amazingly. One thing I've noticed, and it's really my fault, make sure all the tumbler media is out of all cases before loading. Or do one last quick wrist flip with the brass before inserting. I've had times where a single little kernel of media gets on primer thing underneath primer and dents primers a tiny bit. It's not a problem, mostly cosmetic. But I've noticed it, especially in my 357's because the long skinny cases don't always completely empty.
              NRA Life Member since 1990

              They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

              Comment

              • #8
                NiMiK
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2011
                • 501

                Looks like the powder system is not locked into place on your die. It should not wobble.

                Comment

                • #9
                  rm1911
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 4073

                  Originally posted by tshong


                  Thank you.

                  I should've came here first...

                  The next thing I'm trying is putting the primer into the feeding tube and seeing how the primers are "presented" to the casing. My test starts with no casings, just throwing primers into the small primer magazine assembly feeding tube. Then pulling the crank handle up and down while watching the platform base disk rotate stage-to-stage. I'm finding the following datapoints:

                  - primer punch sometimes presents no primer.
                  - sometimes presents TWO primers stacked!
                  - sometimes, it feels something is "stuck" and I can't push it any further (and I don't dare to try).
                  - the tip of the small primer magazine assembly (blue-end plastic tip) is bent

                  None of this feels safe.

                  Oh. Forgot this. Make sure he internal primer tube is the proper one and properly seated. Insert it into the tube, let it get to bottom. Don't push. Just slowly rotate until you feel the click. Then slight push. Most primer problems are from improperly aligned or wrong tube. There's two, one for large the other for small primers.

                  also check the primer feed thing. Make sure all the bolts on the tube assembly are tight. And make sure the spring is correctly attached. Lots of parts!!
                  NRA Life Member since 1990

                  They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    NiMiK
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 501

                    Page 9, Figure 10 shows you where to lock down the powder system to the die:


                    Also, if the primers are not lining up to the shell plate (like mine did after going from large to small primers), you may need slight adjustment on the primer feed adjustment screw. Page 4 part# 13961a.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Rac97crawford
                      Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 194

                      Originally posted by JMP
                      I haven't dealt with them. How has it been from your personal experience. I normally hear good feedback about Hornady. But, I wonder why so many folks need to send back dies and get new parts.
                      They have great customer service! But it's very popular.. If you call in the middle of the day, it's not uncommon to be 30th in the call in que and be waiting on Hold for 45 to and hour. I just call first thing in the morning and never have to sit on hold.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Revoman
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2007
                        • 2395

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Spdjunkie
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 1977

                          Originally posted by Leethe4th
                          One of the inherent issues with the Dillon Square Deal and 555B is the plastic tip on the drop tube (primer magazine). Replace it with a XL650 primer magazine (part # 22032), which has a brass tip, and you will never, ever have that issue again. I've run my SD for over 12 years straight at about 15,000 rounds a year since putting the brass tip on. The only other thing I can think of is the primer seat punch may not be adjusted correctly. It is supposed to be right from the factory, and mine was, but it broke after 10 years, and I had to replace it and adjust it. Check the Dillon website, it's pretty easy, just a spring and set screw.
                          ^ That is some TOP NOTCH advice/tip on the Primer fix. Thank you for sharing

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Leethe4th
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2014
                            • 429

                            I see the video now, the powder measure is not locked onto the drop tube die.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              3RDGEARGRNDRR
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2011
                              • 900

                              Awesome idea on the brass tip. Never thought of that. Ive been having to reform the plastic tips every so often

                              And to the OP get a mentor before you blow something up.
                              CA: Exorcising my 2A rights

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1