Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How to tell a potential reloader about reloading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    brettkeating
    Member
    • Oct 2013
    • 295

    I'd recommend just giving them a very basic elevator pitch, but then let them know they'll have to educate themselves a bit to be safe, and suggest they invest in a reloading manual to learn what is involved. That shouldn't take more than a couple minutes.

    Outside of that I'd just answer any questions with as simple an answer as possible.

    My 0.02

    Comment

    • #32
      highpower790
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2013
      • 3481

      Read a book,it would eliminate alot of basic questions early.
      Keep it simple!

      Comment

      • #33
        CAL.BAR
        CGSSA OC Chapter Leader
        • Nov 2007
        • 5632

        First tell them to find some pistol powder....after that everything else is easy!

        Comment

        • #34
          OpenSightsOnly
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 1557

          tell them to take a reloading class . . .

          that's what i did, we went over the NRA guide to reloading then loaded some pistol and rifle rounds. then, I bought a Sierra reloading manual and started reading.

          Comment

          • #35
            'ol shooter
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2011
            • 4646

            The ABC's of reloading is a great learning book for those considering reloading. Since ALL real reloaders have a copy on hand, kindly lend it to them to read, as long as you know you will get it back.
            sigpic
            Bob B.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(")

            Comment

            • #36
              71MUSTY
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2014
              • 7029

              Originally posted by CAL.BAR
              First tell them to find some pistol powder....after that everything else is easy!
              LOL
              Only slaves don't need guns

              Originally posted by epilepticninja
              Americans vs. Democrats
              We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross


              We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.


              What doesn't kill me, better run

              Comment

              • #37
                opos
                In Memoriam
                • Oct 2009
                • 1597

                Read a manual...then read another manual...if when you have done that we can talk about reloading...if the person doesn't want to read the manual and wants to pick up some tips on the internet or just skip the basics and get right to the loading...I smile and just tell them I don't know how to do it that way and the only thing I have to share is "my experience in the way I learned"..anything else would just be hearsay...it weeds out the "speed loaders" from the folks that truly want to learn the hobby and are willing to take some direction...I'm no pro but I'm also not going to make up a scenario and try to fit my ways into some "made up" needs of someone in a hurry.
                God and the Constitution give me my rights and actions...any other input is just blabbering.

                Comment

                • #38
                  brettkeating
                  Member
                  • Oct 2013
                  • 295

                  Originally posted by CAL.BAR
                  First tell them to find some pistol powder....after that everything else is easy!
                  Yeah! Forget what I said, give them a list of 10 pistol powders and tell them to come back in two months and let you know if they've been able to acQuire any, then ask them if they're still interested in reloading.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    stilly
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 10685

                    LoL.

                    Geeze. Now I think MY head is about to explode. There is some good reading here. Thank GOD I am the ONLY guy who writes walls of verbatim text in these forums...

                    The FIRST thing I am gonna do is to get more books ordered. We have sold the three that we had. I am gonna ask for three Lee books and three Lyman 49th books and I think it would be nice to get whatever we can get our hands on for the others. I want a small library of books on that shelf.

                    I am going to do the following:
                    1. Work on the elevator pitch.
                    2. Ask the three or so questions (thems good for self evaluations).
                    3. Tell them to go buy a book and for $20 it is a lesson and if they can read it and want to give it a try, then
                    4. Send them HERE to sign up and attend a clinic. After that they can get kicked out of the nest cause they will know how to fly.

                    I might also issue the personal challenge of coming back with a bottle of powder... LoL.
                    7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                    Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                    And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      krwada
                      Senior Member
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Jun 2013
                      • 1457

                      Reloading

                      I get asked this a lot.

                      Usually, I tell them the following, (short conversation)

                      1. You wanna shoot lots of ammo? ... reload
                      2. You wanna know more about firearms ... reloading is a good way to do this
                      3. You have the patience to check everything and take pride in making stuff... reloading is a fine hobby.
                      4. You wanna get more exotic calibers that it is hard to find ammo for? Reloading is a great way to explore this venue.

                      Usually, this is the way the conversation winds up for me anyhow.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Gh0sT
                        Member
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 246

                        Just give him this Stat:

                        .07 a round or .33+ a round. Plan to make this a long term hobby? Your choice.
                        IDPA: A53884 - ESP EXP
                        USPSA: A88221 - Prod/G

                        My YouTube Match Videos

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Goesfaster
                          Member
                          • Jun 2013
                          • 114

                          I start by asking them to deprime 2000 .223 rounds on a single stage press before they can have a beer, "if" they stay I set up a Lee Zip trim, again 2000 before a beer...not one has stayed long enough to swage. Saves me time having to explain, plus I get some cases prepped.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1