Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Took the Plunge!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    AKaotic
    Member
    • May 2014
    • 123

    Originally posted by rman
    what are you talking about?
    get some what?
    i have everything i need except for knowledge

    Sent from my Motorola 2-way Pager via ForumBeeper
    Lol sorry man i for some reason forgot to say gun powder for Pistol

    Comment

    • #62
      Pauliedad
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2012
      • 2095

      Late to the party here.
      Congrats and enjoy.

      My nervous nellie self says you should ground that metal cart. I'm assuming it's sitting on wheels or adjustable feet?
      With the chance of any static charge just sitting there (sliding plastic boxes or just anything really) I would run a stranded copper wire from a screw in the cart to a pipe or metal electrical box cover to discharge anything that might stay on the cart.

      Comment

      • #63
        rman
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2012
        • 2267

        Originally posted by Pauliedad
        Late to the party here.
        Congrats and enjoy.

        My nervous nellie self says you should ground that metal cart. I'm assuming it's sitting on wheels or adjustable feet?
        With the chance of any static charge just sitting there (sliding plastic boxes or just anything really) I would run a stranded copper wire from a screw in the cart to a pipe or metal electrical box cover to discharge anything that might stay on the cart.
        yup, its on casters. will look into grounding it, never thought about that. thanks!

        Sent from my Motorola 2-way Pager via ForumBeeper

        Comment

        • #64
          David-K
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2012
          • 745

          Hey rman,

          You had me at "big white jugs"!

          I too just purchased a LNL AP and completely dig it. And, I seat and crimp in the same die. Both, roll and taper depending on the round. So, it can be done. I opted for the casefeeder, but not the bullet feeder. I felt I needed to have at least "some" hands on during the process. My die setup:

          All RCBS

          Resize/De-prime
          Expand
          Powder Drop
          Lockout
          Seat/Crimp

          Like you, I'm focusing on pistol cartridges. If, I decide to do rifle stuff it will more than likely be on my Lyman All American turret press.

          Best of luck, have fun and take your time!
          Last edited by David-K; 06-16-2014, 8:53 AM.
          "Well, looky here. If it ain't the fuzz".

          Comment

          • #65
            rman
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2012
            • 2267

            Originally posted by David-K
            Hey rman,

            You had me at "big white jugs"!
            LMAO!

            Sent from my Motorola 2-way Pager via ForumBeeper

            Comment

            • #66
              rman
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2012
              • 2267

              ran through and made a few dummy rounds, no primer or powder. all is well, OAL is consistent and no setback.

              quick question - i went the extra mile and got pistol a pistol meter, lower powder assembly thing, etc etc for each caliber, for quick changeover.

              does anyone else, who also does that, use a RCBS lockout for each caliber as well? it seems it would be convenient, though exoensive. plus adjusting the lockout is relatively quick and easy...

              thanks

              Sent from my Motorola 2-way Pager via ForumBeeper

              Comment

              • #67
                David-K
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2012
                • 745

                I use only one lockout die. It's so easy to adjust that I can't see using more than one for other calibers.
                "Well, looky here. If it ain't the fuzz".

                Comment

                • #68
                  Pauliedad
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2012
                  • 2095

                  I'd bet a powder check system of some kind would save a majority of all squibs/kabooms. Obviously not an issue on single stage if you're working in batches but once mass production starts, that's when the oopsies begin.

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    rman
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 2267

                    update on my reloading....

                    First batches of 9mm amd 45acp were a success. Some trial and error with crimping, and a lot of diving in and learning by doing.

                    #1 - Resize / Decap
                    #2 - Expand / Powder Dump
                    #3 - RCBS Lockout
                    #4 - Bullet Feed
                    #5 - Seat/Crimp

                    My 9mm bullet feed is a royal PITA. Better than hand placing, but still need to fine-tune it.

                    9mm is HOT, beautiful flash every time.
                    45 is no slouch either. Gave a flash as well but I was shooting at a well lit range and it wasn't as show-offish

                    Loads seem to be more accurate than I'm capable of shooting. Feels AWESOME shooting my own ammo and motivates me to practice more and start moving that target back. Even at 7y my groups open up a bit.

                    Only casualty was a zip spindle/retainer/decapping pin in my 45 die. Replaced under warranty.

                    I'm having fun with Unique, have about 600 rounds under my belt, I'd guess its about 1/2 lb. Will probably finish up this pound before I crack open the CFE Pistol.

                    5 rounds @ 5y, .45acp
                    230gr X-treme Bullets RN
                    6.2gr Unique
                    XDs 3.3", PRP Springs


                    10 rounds @ 5y, 9mm
                    115gr X-treme Bullets RN
                    6.0gr Unique
                    P226 Scorpion


                    Not impossible to learn on a progressive. Actually very easy, but I have a somewhat mechanical mind.

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      rman
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 2267

                      Also, RCBS Lockout Die saved me once out of 600 rounds, would have been a squib. Woulda sucked to double-tap or rapid fire with that in the mag.

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        roc_my_tims
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 1528

                        Tag

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          rman
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 2267

                          Originally posted by roc_my_tims
                          Tag
                          other than learning curve, I've loaded 500rnds 9mm and 300-500rnds of 45acp, I'd have to check how many bullets i have left.

                          other than over-crimping, which calgunners helped identify and resolve, i have had 0 issues.

                          one tip: when you load the primer tube, the pickup tube retains 1 primer in the plastic pickup tip. take your fiberglass primer tube rod thingy, and CAREFULLY push it through. then you can load your very last primer for an even 50.

                          Also, if you screw any loads/brass up, dump your powder, put your spent primer tube somewhere separate, and CAREFULLY use your decap station to push the good primer through your damaged brass.

                          Primers are pennies... but nothing would annoy me more than an MTM case with 98 or 99 rounds lol.

                          Sent from my Nokia 5160 using Snake

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1