Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Your opinions on a good setup for a beginner?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NorCal24
    Member
    • Jul 2013
    • 101

    Your opinions on a good setup for a beginner?

    So I've been looking at getting started reloading and I'm looking to spend around 300 bucks (or less) for everything needed to load one kind of round. (380 auto to start) I've priced everything out on amazon for around 280 free shipping, here's what I have so far.

    Hornaday Electronic Scale 1500 grains 32.90
    Lee Hand Priming Tool Shell Holder Set 16.99
    Lee Precision Auto Prime XR 19.99
    Lee 380 ACP Deluxe Pistol Carbide 4 Die Set 57.00
    Lee Precision Primer Pocket Cleaner 2.99
    Lee Precision Pro Auto Disk 41.99
    Lee Classic Turret Press 112.59

    Grand total of 284.45

    Still looking for a tumbler for cases.

    So what do you guys think? I have zero personal experience with reloading. I've just done a lot of reading and watching videos on the tube. Looking to be able to do some other pistol rounds in the future total of about 75 bucks for a turret base and a die set. Possibly even get into doing shotgun shells later too.
    Last edited by NorCal24; 03-28-2014, 8:21 PM.
  • #2
    emptybottle151
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 1503

    Honaday Electronic Scale 1500 grains 32.90
    Lee Hand Priming Tool Shell Holder Set 16.99
    Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-Ez Impact Bullet Puller 17.72
    Lee Precision Auto Prime XR 19.99
    Lee 380 ACP Deluxe Pistol Carbide 2 4 Die Set 57.00
    Lee Precision Primer Pocket Cleaner 2.99
    6 Inch LCD Digital Caliper with Extra Battery and Case 11.74
    Lee Precision Pro Auto Disk 41.99
    Lee Classic Turret Press 112.59
    $293.93 Still under $300 and a bullet puller with a caliper are more important than priming off press and cleaning primer pockets.
    Last edited by emptybottle151; 03-28-2014, 7:37 PM.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Colt562
      Calguns Addict
      • Jun 2012
      • 5271

      Originally posted by NorCal24
      So I've been looking at getting started reloading and I'm looking to spend around 300 bucks (or less) for everything needed to load one kind of round. (380 auto to start) I've priced everything out on amazon for around 280 free shipping, here's what I have so far.

      Honaday Electronic Scale 1500 grains 32.90

      Good scale


      Lee Hand Priming Tool Shell Holder Set 16.99

      You'll need this is you plan on using the Lee hand help primer system

      Lee Precision Auto Prime XR 19.99
      Lee 380 ACP Deluxe Pistol Carbide 2 Die Set 57.00

      I don't think they make a 2 die set for pistols. Carbide is a good decision though

      Lee Precision Primer Pocket Cleaner 2.99

      Pass on this for pistol brass

      Lee Precision Pro Auto Disk 41.99
      Lee Classic Turret Press 112.59

      Grand total of 284.45

      Still looking for a tumbler for cases.

      So what do you guys think? I have zero personal experience with reloading. I've just done a lot of reading and watching videos on the tube. Looking to be able to do some other pistol rounds in the future total of about 75 bucks for a turret base and a die set. Possibly even get into doing shotgun shells later too.
      For a tumbler just get a vibratory tumbler for now. If you get more serious look into a rotary tumbler. I just bought one waiting for it to get here.



      this is what I first used when I started.
      Originally posted by bruceflinch
      Tis Better, to be Overworked & Underpaid,
      Than Oversexed & Underlaid...

      Comment

      • #4
        NorCal24
        Member
        • Jul 2013
        • 101

        Originally posted by emptybottle151
        $293.93 Still under $300 and a bullet puller with a caliper are more important than priming off press and cleaning primer pockets.
        I should have said that I have a Caliper already. And I'm not familiar with a bullet puller...

        Comment

        • #5
          NorCal24
          Member
          • Jul 2013
          • 101

          Originally posted by Colt562
          For a tumbler just get a vibratory tumbler for now. If you get more serious look into a rotary tumbler. I just bought one waiting for it to get here.



          this is what I first used when I started.
          Thanks for the link. I've looked at the kits before but it seems like there's some things in them that are not really worth using, like the scales.

          Comment

          • #6
            JagerDog
            I need a LIFE!!
            • May 2011
            • 15645

            I'd forego a $33 electronic scale. Get a decent beam scale.

            Add a powder funnel.

            You'll need a shell holder unless it comes with the dies. 2 die set? Should be 3 or 4 (FCD).
            Palestine is a fake country

            No Mas Hamas



            #Blackolivesmatter

            Comment

            • #7
              sjb269
              Member
              • Nov 2011
              • 297

              looks good, don't forget
              Bullet puller
              calipers
              funnel
              trickler maybe?
              loading blocks
              reloading reference
              I'm partial to the harbor freight 3 lb tumbler wait for a sale/deal. just need 2lbs of SS pins.
              Last edited by sjb269; 03-28-2014, 7:58 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                NorCal24
                Member
                • Jul 2013
                • 101

                Originally posted by JagerDog
                I'd forego a $33 electronic scale. Get a decent beam scale.

                Add a powder funnel.

                You'll need a shell holder unless it comes with the dies. 2 die set? Should be 3 or 4 (FCD).
                Why would I need a powder funnel if I'm getting the auto disk? And it is a 4 die. Typo in the OP sorry.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Germz
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 4691

                  Originally posted by NorCal24
                  I should have said that I have a Caliper already. And I'm not familiar with a bullet puller...
                  oh its real simple man, you just place the bullet on the ground and hit continously rap on the round with the bullet puller and eventually the bullet will explode...effectively separating the components...JUST KIDDING.


                  theres demonstrations on youtube
                  Retired Account

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    stilly
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 10685

                    Originally posted by NorCal24
                    So I've been looking at getting started reloading and I'm looking to spend around 300 bucks (or less) for everything needed to load one kind of round. (380 auto to start) I've priced everything out on amazon for around 280 free shipping, here's what I have so far.

                    Honaday Electronic Scale 1500 grains 32.90
                    **American Weigh Electronic GEMINI 20G miligram scale $23.21 (amazon)
                    OR
                    Lee Dipper set for $15.00 and you can toss the Pro Auto Disk AND the scale.

                    Lee Hand Priming Tool Shell Holder Set 16.99
                    Lee Precision Auto Prime XR 19.99
                    Lee 380 ACP Deluxe Pistol Carbide 4 Die Set 57.00
                    Lee 3 piece .380 CARBIDE DIE set- $27.46
                    Lee Precision Primer Pocket Cleaner 2.99
                    Lee Precision Pro Auto Disk 41.99
                    Lee Classic Turret Press 112.59
                    ** MAYBE the Micro Adjustable Charge Bar for the Pro Auto Disk (all I ever used)
                    Grand total of $225.24... and with that money you saved- go buy yourself the Modern Reloading by Richard Lee 2nd Edition and READ IT.
                    <== MANDATORY
                    Still looking for a tumbler for cases.

                    No need for calipers, you can use your .380 barrel as a go/no go gauge.
                    OR add a harbor freight set for $15.00 more...

                    So what do you guys think? I have zero personal experience with reloading. I've just done a lot of reading and watching videos on the tube. Looking to be able to do some other pistol rounds in the future total of about 75 bucks for a turret base and a die set. Possibly even get into doing shotgun shells later too.
                    There you go. Absolute beginner's setup. I would not even THINK of changing that press.

                    BUT, $75.00 for a turret base and die set? WTF? Lee dies = $25-$28 and the Turret = $12.99 or so... Nowhere near $75.00
                    Last edited by stilly; 03-28-2014, 8:20 PM.
                    7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                    Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                    And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NorCal24
                      Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • 101

                      Originally posted by sjb269
                      looks good, don't forget
                      Bullet puller
                      calipers
                      funnel
                      trickler maybe?
                      loading blocks
                      reloading reference
                      I'm partial to the harbor freight 3 lb tumbler wait for a sale/deal. just need 2lbs of SS pins.
                      I have a caliper set. Forgot to mention that. And I'm currently looking into bullet pullers. And as far as a book I was looking at the Lee book because it has all the auto disk numbers in it.

                      On the press would I be better off getting a couple less expensive single die presses instead of the turret press?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        NoHeavyHitter
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011
                        • 2876

                        Originally posted by JagerDog
                        I'd forego a $33 electronic scale. Get a decent beam scale.
                        That was the only thing I really had to add to the discussion. Oh yeah - I'd recommend picking up the Lyman reloading manual.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          NorCal24
                          Member
                          • Jul 2013
                          • 101

                          Originally posted by stilly
                          There you go. Absolute beginner's setup. I would not even THINK of changing that press.

                          BUT, $75.00 for a turret base and die set? WTF? Lee dies = $25-$28 and the Turret = $12.99 or so... Nowhere near $75.00
                          The die sets on amazon are around 60 and the turrets are 13 so a total of 73 bucks for another round setup. On the dipper set, I don't think I would be comfortable reloading without a scale.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            NorCal24
                            Member
                            • Jul 2013
                            • 101

                            On a side note thanks for all the replys I can barely keep up.

                            What's wrong with a $33 electronic scale?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              NorCal24
                              Member
                              • Jul 2013
                              • 101

                              How about the Frankford Arsenal Bullet puller? Its about $18 on amazon.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1