Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Crimped primer question 45 ACP

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    mark501w
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 1699

    I don't know what the deal is I gave up, switched cases started loading.

    Comment

    • #17
      pennstater
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 4671

      mark501w: I still like that avatar of yours! WWH. Friggin' awesome!

      Comment

      • #18
        'ol shooter
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2011
        • 4646

        Originally posted by emptybottle151
        Did you use the rifle set or a pistol set? I have the RCBS rifle primer pocket swager but I've yet to see a pistol set.
        Swager Combo Set # 094181. Catalog pg. 20.
        sigpic
        Bob B.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(")

        Comment

        • #19
          mark501w
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 1699

          My favorite Super Hero WW.

          Comment

          • #20
            'ol shooter
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2011
            • 4646

            Originally posted by mark501w
            My favorite Super Hero WW.
            What, that's not a selfie? Mr. Natural was always my muse, especially when he and Angelfood Mc ***** got together. So twisted it's funny. I saw a documentary on R. Crumb recently, that is one troubled soul, and he is sane compared to some of his friends and family.
            sigpic
            Bob B.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(")

            Comment

            • #21
              bruss01
              Calguns Addict
              • Feb 2006
              • 5336

              I am processing a batch of .40 range brass that I am told came from a Sheriff's office training range. They are nice nickled brass.

              What I experienced in running them through the press was that the press would jam up. Which meant it threw off the whole progressive operation, a huge PITA. I believe I have finally zeroed in on the primer pocket being part of the trouble. Some of the primers are hard to get out... pin pending or pin-breaking hard. And even if the primer did come out, some were so tight that the new primer wouldn't go in.

              So I decided to manually de-prime them all on the single stage. I have the RCBS primer pocket swager so I have been running them through this process as well. Some of the primer pockets the swage slides right in with no resistance. And on some, it is very very tight. On these I cycle the ram two or three times. They usually loosen up some - but not a lot. I will probably also run them through a primer pocket reamer after I finish swaging this batch. I just don't want to create primer pockets so loose that the primers tend to work their way out in a gun that is being fired.
              The one thing worse than defeat is surrender.

              Comment

              • #22
                mark501w
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2011
                • 1699

                sage advice

                I don't think you can get into trouble by swedging or reaming.
                Last edited by mark501w; 06-19-2014, 10:27 AM.

                Comment

                • #23
                  'ol shooter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 4646

                  LOL! Thanks for posting that. I'm going to print it, and hang it in my reloading room.
                  sigpic
                  Bob B.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    HighLander51
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 5144

                    It's called a swaging tool, about $30 from RCBS. Mount it on your single stage. Beats the hell out of a chamfer tool because this is centered on the case


                    Comment

                    • #25
                      mark501w
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 1699

                      the only RCBS tool I was sorry I ever bought.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        HighLander51
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 5144

                        Originally posted by mark501w
                        the only RCBS tool I was sorry I ever bought.
                        Really, why? I usually wait until I have a few hundred crimped cases, then deprime on the progressive and swage them one at a time. Works good for me, short of getting a Dillon 1050 with a built in swager station.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          MR_X
                          Member
                          • Jul 2013
                          • 424

                          I found this to be interesting

                          Crimped primers come from the military side of things – it helps to hold the primer in when headspace is deliberately loose or just got that way. Military ammo can get a rough ride and anythi…

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            mark501w
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 1699

                            I still have my CH set up the set up was cumbersome for me ,the Lyman reamer cuts the pocket all the way down the sides it's easy to use .It's what ever a guy likes to use.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1