Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anybody reload 22lr?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    XDRoX
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 4420

    I've seen the dies for sale, the bullets, and the primed brass. But this was a while ago. I haven't seen anything lately.

    The solution is really simple though.
    About 5 years ago I came to the realization that 22LR is sometimes hard to get.
    I simply calculated how much I shot in the past year and then multiplied that by 80 years. I then bought that many 22LR rounds. Problem solved. I now have more 22 than I'll ever shoot.

    BTW, I paid on average about $18 per 500 about 5 years ago. Today that is looking like a pretty good price. It wasn't at the time. I just wanted to be done with it.
    Also, I have 11 22LR guns, so I knew I wasn't wasting my money.
    Last edited by XDRoX; 12-13-2013, 2:33 PM.
    Chris
    <----Rimfire Addict


    Originally posted by Oceanbob
    Get a DILLON...

    Comment

    • #17
      BigJ
      Veteran Member
      • May 2010
      • 3172

      Why climb the mountain? Because it's there.

      But, to extend the analogy, there are other mountains worthy of the climb. This one I think is probably best left alone, if for no other reason than the safety concerns involved in handling the priming compound.

      IMHO, XDRoX's approach is the right one here. Figure what you'll likely shoot in a year, multiply it by 100x or so, make the investment and move on.
      "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." - Elmer Davis

      Comment

      • #18
        thenodnarb
        Veteran Member
        • May 2009
        • 2603

        Originally posted by Granite
        Thanks for the attitude compliment.

        I saw this later on in the black powder thread

        "As for priming 22RF cases, I have heard of a method used by Eskimos and a gun-store owner I once knew who reloaded 22RF during World War II because of the scarcity of powder and brass. It involves somehow (carefully cut or broken, I suppose) using the tips of "strike anywhere" matches and a liquid, probably alcohol, and spinning the used 22 cases in a drill or perhaps by hand (?) and dropping the liquefied striker/priming compound into the case and letting centrifugal force spread the compound into the recesses of the rims."

        I think 2 match heads and a drop of acetone, then spin by hand.

        I don't think a drill is needed because it's a liquid and flows.

        What about some wet fire


        Just kidding, that seems excessive
        Interesting. how to go about reforming the rim?
        22lr is a pretty old cartridge and they probably used black powder way back then. I wonder what kind of powder to use now. Trailboss? My WST is pretty fast so it might work. You could cast your own bullets for .223 and size down to .222

        Sounds like a fun experiment but I still would rather spend my time on centerfire and cast bullets. But this is a good skill to have for SHTF!

        EDIT: Looks like .22lr bullets have a step to them to fit into the case. Notice that the bullet diameter and case diameter are the same. so you need either a special bullet mold or a device to add that step to the bullet. the bullets may be hollow at the base as well to expand when fired so as to seal the bullet to the barrel better.
        Last edited by thenodnarb; 12-13-2013, 3:28 PM.

        How I Powder Coat Pistol Bullets
        How I Powder Coat Rifle Bullets

        Comment

        • #19
          Divernhunter
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2010
          • 8753

          Attitude is fine.
          Practical---NO
          Observation--Someone has too much time on their hands.
          A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
          NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
          SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

          Comment

          • #20
            stilly
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jul 2009
            • 10685

            Originally posted by Granite
            I've been looking it up and haven't found much.

            I'm kind of curious and think the amassed brain power here could figure it out.

            I haven't found dies, but think modifying some tools could do the trick

            Maybe setting the case on a socket that's the exact diameter of the rim, using a brass dent repair tool like the ones used in brass instruments or hit with a punch would smooth the firing pin mark,then reload and crimp?..

            Imagine how many rounds could be loaded with 1 pound of powder
            No you can not RELOAD .22lr.

            They USED to sell 22lr shells that were primed, but the priming process is what will kill folks if trying to pop out the rim does not do it. Yeah, stop and think, how exactly do you think you are going to get a wet pasty primer that is essentially a contact explosive down there in the rim? Actually a visit to the VET supply and purchasing some thick needles for a few cents each will give you that, they have 2"-4" needles but then it is up to you to make your primer fine enough to fit down the syringe. When someone like ME says that it is not worth trying, it really is NOT WORTH trying...


            SO, despite what you hear or see on the interwebs, you can load a 22lr from scratch with the right dies and lead bullets, but you can not RELOAD a 22lr. END OF DISCUSSION. PERIOD. FINAL. FIN. ENDE. and that is that.
            Last edited by stilly; 12-13-2013, 7:01 PM.
            7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

            Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



            And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

            Comment

            • #21
              thenodnarb
              Veteran Member
              • May 2009
              • 2603

              Originally posted by stilly
              No you can not RELOAD .22lr.

              They USED to sell 22lr shells that were primed, but the priming process is what will kill folks if trying to pop out the rim does not do it. Yeah, stop and think, how exactly do you think you are going to get a wet pasty primer that is essentially a contact explosive down there in the rim? Actually a visit to the VET supply and purchasing some thick needles for a few cents each will give you that, they have 2"-4" needles but then it is up to you to make your primer fine enough to fit down the syringe. When someone like ME says that it is not worth trying, it really is NOT WORTH trying...


              SO, despite what you hear or see on the interwebs, you can load a 22lr from scratch with the right dies and lead bullets, but you can not RELOAD a 22lr. END OF DISCUSSION. PERIOD. FINAL. FIN. ENDE. and that is that.
              You make me want to do it just to prove you wrong

              How I Powder Coat Pistol Bullets
              How I Powder Coat Rifle Bullets

              Comment

              • #22
                drummag
                Junior Member
                • Jun 2012
                • 99

                fulminated mercury!


                Originally posted by Granite
                Then, let's find a substitute.

                Where's Walter White when you need him

                Comment

                • #23
                  CGT80
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 2981

                  Reloading 22lr is similar to berdan primed brass to me. Just because you can, doesn't mean it is worth your while.

                  I also cast my own boolits. My light pistol or even light rifle (30-30 and 30-06) loads can be made for a cost that is similar to the average price of 22lr. The rifle rounds have a nice ding/thud sound when hitting steel plates at 160 yards. My 10/22 is kind of hit and miss at 100 yards.

                  I still shoot 22lr, but I use my economical reloads more. I try to stock up on 22lr when the price is normal.

                  If you don't cast/reload, then stock up when prices get more normal.

                  If you just want to do it for grins and giggles, then have at it. It is easier to use the tried and true methods that I already have, to make more affordable ammo. Different strokes for different folks.........
                  He who dies with the most tools/toys wins

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    stilly
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 10685

                    Originally posted by CGT80
                    Reloading 22lr is similar to berdan primed brass to me. Just because you can, doesn't mean it is worth your while.

                    I also cast my own boolits. My light pistol or even light rifle (30-30 and 30-06) loads can be made for a cost that is similar to the average price of 22lr. The rifle rounds have a nice ding/thud sound when hitting steel plates at 160 yards. My 10/22 is kind of hit and miss at 100 yards.

                    I still shoot 22lr, but I use my economical reloads more. I try to stock up on 22lr when the price is normal.

                    If you don't cast/reload, then stock up when prices get more normal.

                    If you just want to do it for grins and giggles, then have at it. It is easier to use the tried and true methods that I already have, to make more affordable ammo. Different strokes for different folks.........
                    I THINK that if you stopped and sat down, did the math, you can actually reload 9mm for around the same price if not better than 22lr. Well, at least pre panic prices. Especially if you only need the primer/powder/projectile (because 9mm brass is ALL over the place).

                    So there ya have it, it is cheaper to reload for 9mm then it is to go out and BUY 22lr. IF you can find 22lr anyways. I got 100 rounds of 22wm for around $20 from wally world. I know that I can reload 50 rounds of 44 mag for around $9.87 but that might or might not include the price of brass (.16 per shell). I was just given another (95) 44 mag shells for $5.00 from some little girl out in Lake Havasue City. She runs all over the place picking up shells out there and then sells them off to folks. So I guess she is an AZ brass rat. The difference for her though is that she then donates the money to the local animal shelter. I could care less about that but for some folks, Awwwwwwwww. Anyways. I could not bring myself to shoot more than about 50 rounds of 22 today and that included magnum and long rifle. Oh but I put about 200 .45 down range without blinking cause I can make more of those...
                    7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                    Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                    And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1