Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Impulse Buy, Good deal?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • epic1856
    Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 493

    Impulse Buy, Good deal?

    In the back of my mind I was thinking of reloading and came across a used Chucker press with a bunch of stuff. I spent about 5 minutes online seeing if the prices were reasonable. Guy I bought it from said it was stored away about 10 years and works fine.

    What this a good, bad, or horrible impulse buy for the price I paid? I paid $300 for everything.

    It came with all this stuff, some of the stuff I don't even know what's it the name of the parts.



















    Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori
  • #2
    Witch Hunter
    Member
    • Oct 2013
    • 174

    You did fine, especially if you shoot a .223, looks like components are all there. If those are military brass, make sure you ream the primer pockets though before repriming. I don't see a manual, but they are available.

    Comment

    • #3
      Raralith
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2007
      • 551

      Can you do better for $300 new? No. Can you do better for $300 used? Maybe. Did you get ripped off for $300? No. Did you get an amazing deal? No. I would say it's pretty mediocre, in my humble opinion. You got a solid press that goes for $150 new. Trimmer is OK but I personally like to chuck my brass on a power drill. Uniflow is pretty good, but I'd check how accurate it is after 10 years. Bullets look good but everything else is "meh." I'd check the primers and see if the powder still smells fresh.

      Comment

      • #4
        stilly
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jul 2009
        • 10685

        You got a decent deal with the extra components thrown in, but if I see you selling it now for $300 or more in the marketplace I am gonna kick myself for even pitching in my opinion.

        So I hope you intend to use it.
        7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

        Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



        And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

        Comment

        • #5
          epic1856
          Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 493

          Originally posted by stilly
          You got a decent deal with the extra components thrown in, but if I see you selling it now for $300 or more in the marketplace I am gonna kick myself for even pitching in my opinion.

          So I hope you intend to use it.
          I don't own any pistols so all those components and die will be sold and since I reload shotguns shells i have a scale already.

          Everything else I'll be using. My intention of the thread was not to get an idea of the resell value just an honest assessment of am impulse buy.

          Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
          Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori

          Comment

          • #6
            tahoetarga
            Member
            • Jan 2012
            • 269

            Originally posted by Witch Hunter
            You did fine, especially if you shoot a .223, looks like components are all there. If those are military brass, make sure you ream the primer pockets though before repriming. I don't see a manual, but they are available.
            Look again at the second picture...

            Comment

            • #7
              CK_32
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Sep 2010
              • 14369

              Not bad at all.


              Just put it this way. I impulse bought my RCBS (same as yours) set from a LGS (Stockade). $699 OTD. Got home googled how to use it and say the MSRP was only $350... Went back (still in opened) and pretty much laughed in my face and said have a nice day.


              So yea your deal wasn't bad. Luckily I've used it enough to say I got most of my scammed $$ worth from it so the wounds aren't as deep anymore Haha but it's easy to say I don't go to that LGS anymore.
              For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

              What's Your Caliber??


              My Youtube channel

              Comment

              • #8
                BruinGuy
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2011
                • 1456

                I think you got a very nice deal, especially if you have use for all of the components!

                Press - $125
                Lathe trimmer -$110
                Uniflow-$60
                Hand primer -$40
                Scale -$40
                Trays-$8 each
                Mystery green box (what is in there? Case lube pad maybe?) -??
                Die sets -$35 each
                Manual -$20
                Powder -$25 per lb
                Primers -$35 per 1k
                .223 bullets -$100 per 1k
                Pistol bullets - not familiar with those but at least $50 per box of 500
                Brass -$60/k

                You can pro-rate the value of the components by how much is left, and knock 25% off the rest because it is used, and still come out ahead.

                Now get to loading!
                Last edited by BruinGuy; 11-05-2013, 7:30 AM.
                Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                Keep in mind that you don't have a clue.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Audredger
                  Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 221

                  Did those primers get wet?? looks like mildew on the one package. If so I would discard.
                  State of Jefferson = Liberty, Representation, Fiscal Responsibility, Opportunity = Much More than Just a State of Mind

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    XDRoX
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 4420

                    Originally posted by CK_32
                    Not bad at all.


                    Just put it this way. I impulse bought my RCBS (same as yours) set from a LGS (Stockade). $699 OTD. Got home googled how to use it and say the MSRP was only $350... Went back (still in opened) and pretty much laughed in my face and said have a nice day.


                    So yea your deal wasn't bad. Luckily I've used it enough to say I got most of my scammed $$ worth from it so the wounds aren't as deep anymore Haha but it's easy to say I don't go to that LGS anymore.
                    Just so I'm not misreading your post, are you saying that a gun store was charging $699 for the RCBS reloading kit? And you tried to return it unopened and they said no?
                    Chris
                    <----Rimfire Addict


                    Originally posted by Oceanbob
                    Get a DILLON...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      stilly
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 10685

                      Originally posted by epic1856
                      I don't own any pistols so all those components and die will be sold and since I reload shotguns shells i have a scale already.

                      Everything else I'll be using. My intention of the thread was not to get an idea of the resell value just an honest assessment of am impulse buy.

                      Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                      Well then on a scale of 1-10 10 being best I think you hit a 7.1

                      I hope that powder is factory sealed else you could be right or very wrong in using it.

                      My friend picked up a fairly new Taco Supreme + green hand primers + a die set or two for $75. I will move on a deal like that but time and time again it is said he does not know how lucky he got that at and he was hesitant to make the purchase. I had to kinda push him into it.

                      Looking back I should have made the purchase myself.

                      Originally posted by CK_32
                      Not bad at all.


                      Just put it this way. I impulse bought my RCBS (same as yours) set from a LGS (Stockade). $699 OTD. Got home googled how to use it and say the MSRP was only $350... Went back (still in opened) and pretty much laughed in my face and said have a nice day.


                      So yea your deal wasn't bad. Luckily I've used it enough to say I got most of my scammed $$ worth from it so the wounds aren't as deep anymore Haha but it's easy to say I don't go to that LGS anymore.

                      And thanks to your story I know NEVER to shop at dickade or whatever they are, or maybe just walk in one day and just have a long look but never buy anything from them because of how they treated another calgunner. :\
                      Last edited by stilly; 11-05-2013, 11:56 AM.
                      7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                      Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                      And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Abenaki
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 1078

                        If the powder is not factory sealed...........I would dump it!

                        Why? How do you know that the powder in the jar, is the same one on the label? How do you know that the person did not mix the powders by accident?

                        Just some thing to think about.

                        Take care
                        Abenaki
                        "Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno, December 1993

                        I'd rather be a Boomer, than generation crybaby!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          the86d
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jul 2011
                          • 9587

                          I think you scored!

                          I'd knock the dust/rust off and paint/oil the rusty parts and clean (degrease?) and lube the ram.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CK_32
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 14369

                            Originally posted by XDRoX
                            Just so I'm not misreading your post, are you saying that a gun store was charging $699 for the RCBS reloading kit? And you tried to return it unopened and they said no?
                            I'll explain.

                            Finally decided to get to reloading. Did my research on which components to buy decided on RCBS. But assumed shipping would kill me so I'll buy local. I go to stockaid and low and behold they have the kit I wanted to buy at like $650 + fees. Dam it's up there but I'm sure it would be that much after shipping online. SOLD I'll take it!

                            Go online to learn how to use it and such and google bring up several sites have them at $350 ish with free shipping. Mind you this is no more than an hour after purchase. At the time I was big on supporting local shops. So I called the shop and explained and offered to support them see if they could price match or at least come close so I could feel I didn't get completely taken on the deal cause I know in store can't always match online big stores.


                            The girl on the phone says yea I wouldn't see why not being we sold it to you an hour ago and you said it's unopened but to be sure let me get a manager to be sure. Some guy gets on the phone and says this is mark or who ever he said. Says yea as long as everything is there you have the receipt and it's not damaged or opened sure come on by the least we could do it price match it. Now I'm happy I get some money back.

                            Pack up and headed out. Walk in and finally get someone to help. I explained the story and he said who did you talk to I said the girl. He goes and grabs the only girl working there. She flat out denies talking to someone on the phone but says the same thing she did on the phone. I don't see why we couldn't let me get a manager. (I kind of expected this girl was a fast talker and was a "expert AR builder" before she worked there via past convo with her before this event) so she gets a manager and he asked what manager I talked to on the phone and I said mark or what ever. He says no one by that name even works here. He said did you mean Mike? I said sure maybe I heard wrong I didn't really pay attention all I heard was yes.


                            So the mike guy says no wasn't me and the manager is like sorry I don't now what to tell you. The manager walks away and let's me try and work it out with first worker who was helping me. Then out of no where the one eyed guy runs across the store and starts demanding a receipt, and when I bought it. Then says we don't do price matching, we wouldn't be in business if every guy that came in asked for a online price match as a joke like I'm an idiot. Now that pissed me off. I tried to stay calm and work it out but his attitude was enough. So I told them ok go f your selves I'm returning it instead of helping out a local shop but forget it I'm buying else where here is the receipt and box check it if you want.


                            Then the same one eyed guy who decided to make this an issue tells me no we will not take your return your just trying to scam us now please leave. I told him no you will take this back I'm returning it, the. He pulls out of his a** and says " we don't do returns on reloading equipment! Now leave!" Seeing this wasn't my first unpleasant interaction with them but first of this level and that I wasn't getting any where. I happily picked it up took it to my car and Now refuse to shop there (literally 2 lights from my house) and now I drive 15 to 30 min to rifle gear turners or field time across from stock aid. And gladly tell my story to let everyone know what a pleasant little shop they are and how we'll they take care of their major purchase paying customers.

                            I feel I still won because I've spent well over $4k from them. Probably so much more from them in future purchases So to me they stole $300 from me and lost thousands of my business. My family and friends refuse to shop there for this and their own reasons as we'll. So again I feel they lost more than what was owed to me alone with lost business as they should.
                            Last edited by CK_32; 11-05-2013, 1:42 PM. Reason: Fixed for spelling errors
                            For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                            What's Your Caliber??


                            My Youtube channel

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Whiterabbit
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 7597

                              you scored.

                              Rather than sell all, methinks it's time for you to buy an inexpensive 44 mag (ruger Blackhawk)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1