Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Turnkey powder storage.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Darto
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2012
    • 6732

    Turnkey powder storage.

    Amazon:


    Fairly nice rustic box. Will hold abt. 50 one pound cans of powder. Lockable. All sides of box and lid are 3/4" actual thickness. Lock hasps are flimsy. But the box needs to have weak walls so bullet proof is not wanted.

    Regulations call for "1 inch nominal", all lumber charts show 1 inch nominal is 3/4" actual. Regs call for 'weak wall, seams or joints to provide an easy means of self ventilation.' The box has some spaces between boards to provide ventilation.

    Will hold about 50 1 pound cans in 4 layers of 12 or 13 each.

    Pictures:

    One layer of 12 cans
    second layer 13
    4 layers deep...,
    ...and the lid will close over all 4 layers due to deep recess clearance in the lid.
    Attached Files
  • #2
    Darto
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2012
    • 6732

    Box looks nicer than the washed out 4th picture shows, the picture on Amazon is more realistic to its actual appearance. But the deer image is subtle and not real dark.

    Comment

    • #3
      orangeusa
      • Jul 2009
      • 9055

      Powder storage? That's not the description. I'd want air-tight plastic containers for powder...

      What am I missing here?

      .

      Comment

      • #4
        Audredger
        Member
        • Apr 2011
        • 221

        Originally posted by Darto
        Amazon:


        Regulations call for "1 inch nominal", all lumber charts show 1 inch nominal is 3/4" actual. Regs call for 'weak wall, seams or joints to provide an easy means of self ventilation.' The box has some spaces between boards to provide ventilation.

        Regs? what regs? don't need no stinking regs!
        State of Jefferson = Liberty, Representation, Fiscal Responsibility, Opportunity = Much More than Just a State of Mind

        Comment

        • #5
          Darto
          CGN Contributor
          • Apr 2012
          • 6732

          Originally posted by orangeusa
          Powder storage? That's not the description. I'd want air-tight plastic containers for powder...

          What am I missing here?

          .
          See the Audredger message. On this matter most do not strictly obey the law.

          On the other hand, some home owners do want to keep their Fire Insurance agent without huge loopholes. Under extreme circumstances I would prefer to be legal and therefore collect insurance compensation rather then move into a wigwam.

          Comment

          • #6
            stilly
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jul 2009
            • 10685

            Keep valuables in view but out of dust and harm's way with glass display cabinets from IKEA! Browse curio cabinets in an array of colors and sizes.


            Well, the prices of those are better than the Ikea storage units. I had my eye on the RED and the powdercoat lockers they had...

            Not bad though.
            7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

            Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



            And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

            Comment

            • #7
              orangeusa
              • Jul 2009
              • 9055

              Originally posted by Darto
              See the Audredger message. On this matter most do not strictly obey the law.

              On the other hand, some home owners do want to keep their Fire Insurance agent without huge loopholes. Under extreme circumstances I would prefer to be legal and therefore collect insurance compensation rather then move into a wigwam.
              Thanks - will do my homework. What law / fire code does this come from ?

              Comment

              • #8
                edgerly779
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Aug 2009
                • 19871

                20 lbs smokeless powder is max indidual can have in one location. Powder magazine/ cabinet to allow for ventilation and failure point in event of combustion. Supposed to burn not explode.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Pablo5959
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 1289

                  I was going for something like this.
                  Going to pick one up next week.
                  All shelving is adjustable and removable and locking doors.

                  4'wX2'hX8"d this will work great over the work bench.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Darto
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 6732

                    I was going to build something, but I don't have scrap lumber, varnish, fasteners lying around. If I bought stuff I would have a lot left over. I've never read in the newspapers or forums that someone is now homeless because the insurance company would not pay a claim because of powder storage violations.


                    So this Amazon thing was cheap enough. It's finished so it will last 100 years indoors, is 3/4" all around, and what the heck it looks nice too.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Audredger
                      Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 221

                      I will try again...What regulation? Please don't tell me about it; tell me the law / regulation number. Is this California code, National Code or, city code?
                      State of Jefferson = Liberty, Representation, Fiscal Responsibility, Opportunity = Much More than Just a State of Mind

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Audredger
                        Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • 221

                        Originally posted by edgerly779
                        20 lbs smokeless powder is max indidual can have in one location. Powder magazine/ cabinet to allow for ventilation and failure point in event of combustion. Supposed to burn not explode.

                        It would seem that 20 lbs. is the max one can own with out a permit.
                        HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE SECTION 12101-12112 look at 12102

                        so much for shooting 3 calibers that require different powder and buying in 8 lb kegs!
                        State of Jefferson = Liberty, Representation, Fiscal Responsibility, Opportunity = Much More than Just a State of Mind

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Pablo5959
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 1289

                          Originally posted by Pablo5959
                          I was going for something like this.
                          Going to pick one up next week.
                          All shelving is adjustable and removable and locking doors.

                          4'wX2'hX8"d this will work great over the work bench.
                          Got my 20% off November coupon and got it down to 52.00.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            the86d
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jul 2011
                            • 9591

                            1) 8lb Rifle powder
                            1) 8LB other rifle powder
                            1) 4lb pistol powder
                            Total: 20lbs

                            At local family member's/friend's house, do the same.

                            Have a backup of their data (pictures, tax PDFs, etc.) at your location, then it is a win-win situation.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              stilly
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jul 2009
                              • 10685

                              Originally posted by Pablo5959
                              I was going for something like this.
                              Going to pick one up next week.
                              All shelving is adjustable and removable and locking doors.

                              4'wX2'hX8"d this will work great over the work bench.
                              Rumor has it that come new years they will have a coupon or so that gives you nearly 40%-50% off a SINGLE item...

                              Okay, so they did for the past two years.
                              7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                              Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                              And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1