Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading 40 s&w! I need help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Colt562
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2012
    • 5271

    Originally posted by J-cat
    That's fine. I'm telling him not to listen to you and to trim if he wants. Trimming makes the round more consistent. A more consistent round is more likely to be accurate.

    I appreciate the OP trying to minimize variables and attempting to understand the geometry involved in handloading.

    FWIW, I don't trim my auto cases either. But I also don't crimp.
    So if you dont trim your cases, why are you telling the OP to?

    Doesnt make sense.
    Originally posted by bruceflinch
    Tis Better, to be Overworked & Underpaid,
    Than Oversexed & Underlaid...

    Comment

    • #32
      CalTeacher
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 828

      Originally posted by J-cat
      Your cases aren't buckling because there isn't enough length variance in your batch of cases. Your batch of cases is not the same as mine or his. He may have some case that are too short. If he set his die using that case and he loads a case that is too long it may buckle enough to cause a case gauge fail.

      Again, trimming is not the issue here. If he wants to trim, let him cuz it can't hurt.
      I'm been using mixed headstamp brass for years. Tens of thousands of rounds in .40 alone in USPSA matches per year and never a buckled case. I'd say my sample size is sufficient.

      There's no point to trimming straight walled pistol brass. Period. End of story.

      Comment

      • #33
        John Browning
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2006
        • 8089

        The best pistol shooters, guys who shoot 20,000 plus rounds a year, don't trim their straight wall pistol brass. I've got .45 ACP cases that have been loaded 10 plus times and have never seen a trimmer. They work great.

        You don't need to trim straight wall brass. It offers no advantage. You can do it if you want, but you won't see a difference.
        For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

        For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

        Originally posted by KWalkerM
        eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

        Comment

        • #34
          Bumslie
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Oct 2011
          • 5358

          Originally posted by scobun
          The best pistol shooters, guys who shoot 20,000 plus rounds a year, don't trim their straight wall pistol brass. I've got .45 ACP cases that have been loaded 10 plus times and have never seen a trimmer. They work great.

          You don't need to trim straight wall brass. It offers no advantage. You can do it if you want, but you won't see a difference.
          Low pressure rounds like .45 actually shrink too
          NRA Life Member
          WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
          Originally posted by ivanimal
          I love you! (some Homo)
          Originally posted by ivanimal
          I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
          Originally posted by Kestryll
          OP you are an uninformed tool.
          Go Broncos!
          Go Kings Go!

          Comment

          • #35
            Flyin Brian
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            • Oct 2009
            • 3395

            Don't listen to the trimmer. Trimming is a waste of time.
            NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

            I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

            Originally posted by TheExpertdouche
            I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.

            Comment

            • #36
              J-cat
              Calguns Addict
              • May 2005
              • 6626

              Originally posted by Colt562
              So if you dont trim your cases, why are you telling the OP to?

              Doesnt make sense.
              I don't crimp, therefore I don't trim. I never told the OP to trim. He chooses to trim. Everyone is telling him not to. I think he should trim if he wants.

              Comment

              • #37
                J-cat
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2005
                • 6626

                Originally posted by Flyin Brian
                Don't listen to the trimmer. Trimming is a waste of time.
                I'm offended that you call me a trimmer when I am not.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Bumslie
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 5358

                  Originally posted by J-cat
                  I'm offended that you call me a trimmer when I am not.
                  So next you're gonna tell him to clean the primer pockets on the brass too?
                  NRA Life Member
                  WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
                  Originally posted by ivanimal
                  I love you! (some Homo)
                  Originally posted by ivanimal
                  I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
                  Originally posted by Kestryll
                  OP you are an uninformed tool.
                  Go Broncos!
                  Go Kings Go!

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    J-cat
                    Calguns Addict
                    • May 2005
                    • 6626

                    I did not tell him to do anything. I only supported his trimming effort. But to answer your question, yes. Not only should he clean the primer pockets, he should clean the entire case.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Bumslie
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 5358

                      Originally posted by J-cat
                      I did not tell him to do anything. I only supported his trimming effort. But to answer your question, yes. Not only should he clean the primer pockets, he should clean the entire case.
                      And debur the flash holes?!
                      NRA Life Member
                      WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
                      Originally posted by ivanimal
                      I love you! (some Homo)
                      Originally posted by ivanimal
                      I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
                      Originally posted by Kestryll
                      OP you are an uninformed tool.
                      Go Broncos!
                      Go Kings Go!

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        J-cat
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2005
                        • 6626

                        Only if he wants to. That would make for a mighty nice case.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Bumslie
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Oct 2011
                          • 5358

                          Originally posted by J-cat
                          Only if he wants to. That would make for a mighty nice case.
                          You're crazy j cat. You're crazy.
                          NRA Life Member
                          WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
                          Originally posted by ivanimal
                          I love you! (some Homo)
                          Originally posted by ivanimal
                          I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
                          Originally posted by Kestryll
                          OP you are an uninformed tool.
                          Go Broncos!
                          Go Kings Go!

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            webcruzzer
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 864

                            I trimmed some pistol brass............once.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              onewheelwes
                              Senior Member
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Apr 2012
                              • 1331

                              Trimming!%#$ That's why I can't cant shoot an inch at 25 yd.

                              PS. OP Glad you fixed your problem. Enjoy

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                bruceflinch
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jan 2006
                                • 40155

                                Originally posted by onewheelwes
                                Trimming!%#$ That's why I can't cant shoot an inch at 25 yd.

                                PS. OP Glad you fixed your problem. Enjoy
                                You couldn't shoot an inch at 25 yds using Factory ammo out of a Ransom Rested Thompson Contender!


                                Don't you even Trim, Bro?
                                Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

                                I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

                                Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

                                Secret Club Member?.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1