Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading 40 s&w! I need help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jakywaky
    Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 129

    Reloading 40 s&w! I need help

    Trying to setup my lee classic turret to load 40 s&w. I followed the instruction and did good on my .223 reloads but now I'm setting up for 40 s&w and I'm having trouble dialing up my die set. I trimmed my brass to .0845 and loaded one round with no primers and powder with an oal of 1.125. I used the EGW CASE GAUGE AND THEY DON'T GO ALL THE WAY IN. Any advise will be helpful.
  • #2
    MKE
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2007
    • 563

    Sounds like your boolits are over crimped. Back off just a quarter turn on the crimp die and see if that helps.

    Comment

    • #3
      gemoose23
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 1079

      Brass new or Range pickups..

      If range pickups.. have bulge?

      If no bulge.. check decap die and make sure it is resizing the case all the way down (die should be barely not touching the shellplate/holder). You could be not resizing the brass the full length, and the case gague is binding on it.

      If Bulge, you'll have to get a bulge buster, redding or lee makes one (lee is cheap if you already have a 4 die set)
      Hornady LnL, Dillon Precision, RCBS, Lee Precision and Lyman User
      If You want Match or Leadless hunting Ammo check out Monolithic Munitions Yes I am a shill, friends with the owners.

      Comment

      • #4
        Colt562
        Calguns Addict
        • Jun 2012
        • 5271

        Originally posted by Jakywaky
        Trying to setup my lee classic turret to load 40 s&w. I followed the instruction and did good on my .223 reloads but now I'm setting up for 40 s&w and I'm having trouble dialing up my die set. I trimmed my brass to .0845 and loaded one round with no primers and powder with an oal of 1.125. I used the EGW CASE GAUGE AND THEY DON'T GO ALL THE WAY IN. Any advise will be helpful.
        I wouldn't trim pistol...I dont know of anyone that trims it actually. It sounds like you didnt set up your sizing die correctly. If you are using carbide dies skip the next sentence. Put your die in and pull the ram up until the die and shellholder touch, lower the ram and screw in the die another half turn, then tighten the die again. Its called being able to cam over. Don't cam over with carbide dies.
        Originally posted by bruceflinch
        Tis Better, to be Overworked & Underpaid,
        Than Oversexed & Underlaid...

        Comment

        • #5
          Jakywaky
          Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 129

          Thanks I will try that. First time reloading 40 s&w.

          Comment

          • #6
            Colt562
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2012
            • 5271

            Originally posted by Jakywaky
            Thanks I will try that. First time reloading 40 s&w.
            no worries, but I would skip trimming pistol brass, waste of time IMO.
            Originally posted by bruceflinch
            Tis Better, to be Overworked & Underpaid,
            Than Oversexed & Underlaid...

            Comment

            • #7
              the led farmer
              Member
              • May 2011
              • 194

              Do they fit in your guns chamber?

              Comment

              • #8
                XDRoX
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 4420

                Your sizing die isn't low enough. Common mistake. And you never need to trim 40.
                Chris
                <----Rimfire Addict


                Originally posted by Oceanbob
                Get a DILLON...

                Comment

                • #9
                  Mack661
                  Member
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 168

                  I have had good luck loading .40 with an undersized die that evolution gun works sells for $29.95. The die which is undersized also sizes farther down the case taking out the glock bulge. Also I have never trimmed pistol brass.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Shoot-it
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 5165

                    I had the same problem with my xd-40 and i am using range brass I had to seat the bullet 1.105 in order to get the slide to lock .I am using 180 gr bear creek bullets.I still get one here and there that will not chamber but if i put the round in the mag it will then cycle .I might have to look into that undersized die.
                    Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
                    I prefer to not mount the fat ones.
                    Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
                    ProShooter's
                    You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      J-cat
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2005
                      • 6626

                      Don't listen to the non-trimmers. Trimming is good for the load. We need more info: How did you adjust the dies? Is the round chambering in your gun?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Colt562
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 5271

                        Wait so ur saying since we said don't trim pistol brass, not to listen to us?

                        Great logic
                        Originally posted by bruceflinch
                        Tis Better, to be Overworked & Underpaid,
                        Than Oversexed & Underlaid...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          CalTeacher
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 828

                          Originally posted by J-cat
                          Don't listen to the non-trimmers. Trimming is good for the load.
                          No.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            rsrocket1
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • 2772

                            I've never needed to trim any straight walled pistol brass ever. That includes all sorts of range pickups. Bottle neck rifle cases, yes, but pistol cases, no.

                            Several potential problems which could all be diagnosed if you knew where the finished cartridge is hanging up in your barrel which is a much better indicator than a case gauge.

                            Color the offending cartridge with a magic marker, do a plunk test and see where the marker gets rubbed off. (look up "plunk test")

                            If it's at the bottom of the case, you aren't running your sizing die far enough. Screw it down more.

                            If it's at the case mouth, you may have flared too much and didn't close the flare properly

                            If it's along the case for the length of the seated bullet, the bullet is too fat for your chamber and they need to be sized down (or you can use the Lee FCD to iron it out, but you may lose some accuracy because the swaging is not guaranteed to be as accurate as a true sizing).

                            If it is on the bullet itself, you will have to seat it deeper, but you'd better start with a lower charge of powder because pressures rise exponentially with seating depth.

                            BTW, don't crimp the bullets any more than just enough to close the flare or maybe barely beyond vertical. 40 S&W headspaces on the case mouth and an over crimped case can either drop in too deep or pinch between the bullet and throat and send pressures through the roof.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              J-cat
                              Calguns Addict
                              • May 2005
                              • 6626

                              Originally posted by Colt562
                              Wait so ur saying since we said don't trim pistol brass, not to listen to us?

                              Great logic
                              Yes.

                              Has nothing to do with logic. Your advice was inappropriate.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1